Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #113

American Coach Owners Club
If your looking at new Michelins look at these- awesome ride compared to the XRVs

XZA3®+ EVERTREAD®

Next generation ultra-fuel-efficient* radial that delivers our longest steer original tread life in line haul applications.
* Based on industry standard rolling resistance testing of comparable tires or retreads. Actual results may vary, and may be impacted by many factors, to include road conditions, weather and environment.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #114

I have a question.. How many miles should I expect to get on a XRV? I may wear them before they rot at the rate I'm going.

Rod
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #115

My last set lasted 88,000 miles and 6 years - no cracks. Thought was was good Tire service, that's why I went with XRV's again.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #116

Tiffin Owners Club
Michelin XRV tires

OP "I believe the XRVS are a totally different tire as well as the XZA's"

You better believe they are..! They are a lighter weight casing. Thinner, more flexable side walls. OEM's use them (not as much today as coaches are heavier). They are NOT an OTR truck tire. They have a much higher failure rate then Michelin OTR truck tires. Admitted by Michelin dealer on the QT. Some folks have never had a problem. I and many others have. My three zipper tear blow outs were caused my water getting in side wall and rusting steel cords. Michelin paid for the tires. You might say, that could happen to any tire, no it couldn't.
When I see a coach with XRV's on them....my stomach knots up.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #117

All I can say is my New XZA3®+ EVERTREAD® seem to be my best Tire thus far- the ride is excellent and the handling even better, they are taller and wider - speedo is off by 2 mph and the tack is off by 200 rpm- no big deal for me. I do have to keep the steering wheel dead straight when I dump the air though.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
All I can say is my New XZA3®+ EVERTREAD® seem to be my best Tire thus far- the ride is excellent and the handling even better, they are taller and wider - speedo is off by 2 mph and the tack is off by 200 rpm- no big deal for me. I do have to keep the steering wheel dead straight when I dump the air though.

I'm just poking fun, but how would tire size have any effect on tach or "tack"? Is your tachometer giving false readings of engine RPM due to a different tire? Please explain.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #119

what I meant was based on the higher Rev's per mile for the new tires my Tach is approximately 200 rpms less at the same mile an hour.
Example Old tires = @ 65 mph my Tach read 1800 RPM's with my new tires = @ 65 mph my tach reads 1600 RPM's.
If I run at @1800 RPM's my Speedo reads 68 Mph compared to 65 with the old tires.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
what I meant was based on the higher Rev's per mile for the new tires my Tach is approximately 200 rpms less at the same mile an hour.

Example Old tires = @ 65 mph my Tach read 1800 RPM's with my new tires = @ 65 mph my tach reads 1600 RPM's.

If I run at @1800 RPM's my Speedo reads 68 Mph compared to 65 with the old tires.

Now I understand.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Love my Michelin XRV Tires !

:-)
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #122

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
OP "I believe the XRVS are a totally different tire as well as the XZA's"

You better believe they are..! They are a lighter weight casing. Thinner, more flexable side walls. OEM's use them (not as much today as coaches are heavier). They are NOT an OTR truck tire. They have a much higher failure rate then Michelin OTR truck tires. Admitted by Michelin dealer on the QT. Some folks have never had a problem. I and many others have. My three zipper tear blow outs were caused my water getting in side wall and rusting steel cords. Michelin paid for the tires. You might say, that could happen to any tire, no it couldn't.
When I see a coach with XRV's on them....my stomach knots up.
"Zipper" condition is the result of running low air pressure. Only takes a few miles to get the fatigue failure of the steel body cord. Doesn't matter the brand or total miles on a tire. Physical evidence is relatively easy to see with just a little magnification.
There is no manufacturing process that would allow "defective" steel cords to be lined up such that the weak spot is at the point of high flexing.
Fatigue failure of steel is easily demonstrated by bending a paper clip back and forth.

RE higher failure rate. I doubt that any dealer has access to all the information necessary to make a fact based statement on failure rate.

What is true is that a majority of RVs that ahve been weighed have been found to have one or more tire overloaded for the level of inflation in the tires.

If you had sidewall cracking so severe that water was able to get to the steel then whoever did the anual tire inspection did not do a competent job as it takes a good sized crack for that to happen.
The location of the failure if due to rusted steel would not necessarily happen at same location.

Would you have any pictures of the tires?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #123

I thought I would give an update to my claim...

I was able to take the RV back to the tire store (Pomp's) and have the manager call Michelin after he inspected the tires for a second time.. Unfortunately, he wasn't successful in getting to the correct person.. he had to leave a message..

I received a call from Michelin and after a bit of phone tag.. I was finally able to speak with an adjuster... The initial offer was an 80% discount on all 6 tires.. I'll be honest, I was a bit shocked at that out of the gate.. it actually had me baffled. I quickly asked for a confirming email, as I wanted it in writing.. My mistake was not asking about mounting and balancing (according to Pomp's, that would be $100 per tire)... Needless to say.. I quickly called back.. but to my disappointment, I had to leave a voice mail..

On Monday, of this week.. I got my email.. with no mention of mounting and balancing fee's... I responded to the email asking a few clarifying questions.. and she responded and agreed to pay 80% of the mounting and balancing fee's as well..

Not too bad.. not too bad at all...

Statistics on my tires:

Model - XRV
Depth - 13/32
Mileage - 20,000
Date Code - 2511
Coach purchase - 08/12

One of my clarifying questions was something they put in the email.. they said the offer was good for 14 days.. since there are no XRV tires to be had.. I wanted clarification on that.. she mentioned that the tires would need to be re-inspected prior to tires being installed.. This is fine by me... the RV is being tucked away for the winter and I had every intention of having the new tires installed in Spring.. Michelin was ok with that..

Another clarifying question was claim processing.. the tire dealer wasn't interested in filing the claim.. as he said.. they didn't sell the original ones, and they aren't going to wait 6-10 months to get reimbursed from Michelin.. Naturally, I wasn't happy with this, but understood.. So, I made it clear to Michelin waiting for reimbursement that long was unacceptable.. they replied and insured reimbursement would be only 4-6 weeks.. I'm ok with that..

So.. I wanted to share my results.. I felt Michelin has stepped up and took care of my defective tires..

Good luck to others who have the same issues as me !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I thought I would give an update to my claim...

I was able to take the RV back to the tire store (Pomp's) and have the manager call Michelin after he inspected the tires for a second time.. Unfortunately, he wasn't successful in getting to the correct person.. he had to leave a message..

I received a call from Michelin and after a bit of phone tag.. I was finally able to speak with an adjuster... The initial offer was an 80% discount on all 6 tires.. I'll be honest, I was a bit shocked at that out of the gate.. it actually had me baffled. I quickly asked for a confirming email, as I wanted it in writing.. My mistake was not asking about mounting and balancing (according to Pomp's, that would be $100 per tire)... Needless to say.. I quickly called back.. but to my disappointment, I had to leave a voice mail..

On Monday, of this week.. I got my email.. with no mention of mounting and balancing fee's... I responded to the email asking a few clarifying questions.. and she responded and agreed to pay 80% of the mounting and balancing fee's as well..

Not too bad.. not too bad at all...

Statistics on my tires:

Model - XRV
Depth - 13/32
Mileage - 20,000
Date Code - 2511
Coach purchase - 08/12

One of my clarifying questions was something they put in the email.. they said the offer was good for 14 days.. since there are no XRV tires to be had.. I wanted clarification on that.. she mentioned that the tires would need to be re-inspected prior to tires being installed.. This is fine by me... the RV is being tucked away for the winter and I had every intention of having the new tires installed in Spring.. Michelin was ok with that..

Another clarifying question was claim processing.. the tire dealer wasn't interested in filing the claim.. as he said.. they didn't sell the original ones, and they aren't going to wait 6-10 months to get reimbursed from Michelin.. Naturally, I wasn't happy with this, but understood.. So, I made it clear to Michelin waiting for reimbursement that long was unacceptable.. they replied and insured reimbursement would be only 4-6 weeks.. I'm ok with that..

So.. I wanted to share my results.. I felt Michelin has stepped up and took care of my defective tires..

Good luck to others who have the same issues as me !!
I don't know how one could ask for anything more. It sounds like they did the right thing, actually above and beyond.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #125

Its nice to see Michelin treat you so well. I am surprised they made you such a generous offer. Makes me wonder if they had a bad run of tires and want them off the road. I do like there products its just hard to find any inventory. We have been waiting over 6 months for some sizes at work.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #126

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Agreed. To each his own, friend.

My personal experience has me sold on Aerospace 303 Protectant.

Take Care.

Cheers!
Same here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote