Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #29

The Good Year G670's on our 03 Phaeton were 7 years old when traded and no cracks. Current XRV's on our coach look good, but only 2.5 years old. Over the years, I have had tires with surface crack and never a failure. What is the significance of shallow surface cracks other than cosmetic?? Anyone that is a tire "expert" know?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #30

On my Winnebago Journey the tires still looked like new after 4yrs. The 5th year I noticed some small cracks and a few months later the cracks were very deep and lots of them. When they start to crack they go bad very fast. No XRV's were available so I replaced them with XZE.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #31

Don't forget, with your new larger tires your speedometer is now incorrect. The 275s are a bit over 3% larger in circumference than the 255s. At an indicated 70, you're going 72.2; at 79 you were doing over 80.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Don't forget, with your new larger tires your speedometer is now incorrect. The 275s are a bit over 3% larger in circumference than the 255s. At an indicated 70, you're going 72.2; at 79 you were doing over 80.
Thanks for the reminder- I did check the Speedo on the way home- about 24 miles and its off 2 to 3 -No big deal for me, Tach is the same as it drives off the Alternator
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
On my Winnebago Journey the tires still looked like new after 4yrs. The 5th year I noticed some small cracks and a few months later the cracks were very deep and lots of them. When they start to crack they go bad very fast. No XRV's were available so I replaced them with XZE.
rodz
Why did you buy Michelens again if you had Micelins that developed lots of deep cracks at only 5 years of age.
(Once was enough too many times for me).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Thanks for the reminder- I did check the Speedo on the way home- about 24 miles and its off 2 to 3 -No big deal for me, Tach is the same as it drives off the Alternator
Been there and done that years ago. I just took it into the Cat dealer and he flashed the computer to correct the number of revolutions per mile for the larger tires. That gets everything including the shift points back to normal.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
My XRVs cracked after 4 years and 20,000 miles. I will call Michelin (Canada) on Monday to see if they will do anything for me. I'll report back.
Well, I went to a dealer, and by sheer coincidence, there was a Michelin rep visiting the dealer. He looked at the tires and agreed there was a problem and then called the Michelin office to determine an adjustment. The office called back and said that they wouldn't do anything for me because the tires are now almost 5 years old. The rep was very surprised and went out of his way to arrange a good discount for me with the dealer.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #36

Call the number I listed above, don't give up on the 1st try!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #37

Yes I dont know why every one thinks Michelins is the best tire in the world Ive seen alot of cheeper tires hold up better than them. Not for me, It dont take me long to learn
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
rodz
Why did you buy Michelens again if you had Micelins that developed lots of deep cracks at only 5 years of age.
(Once was enough too many times for me).
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel Like I said above I have Michelin's on 3 other vehicles Plus the MH- I was in for a Tire rotation when the Sidewall cracking was pointed out to me by my Tire Guy, I was ready to purchase 6 new Firestone when I just happened to call Michelin with these cracking issues. I am a Total Michelin Fan and have been for the last 45 years.
I really like these new XZA's a lot so Far !
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #39

I also have a set of Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZA2, so far so good going on 3 years. They ride a lot better then the Good Years that came off.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #40

Commercial Member

The plant where tires made is identified by the first 2 characters in the DOT serial code. This will be the exact plant not just the country.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
XRV cracking

I have been reading about this issue for a few years. I purchased this coach new in 2006, riding on XRV's. Since then, we have put 43,000 miles on these tires travelling almost every year from upstate NY to Albuquerque to see our son. I have never had an issue or crack on any of them. I remove all wheels (and batteries) every fall and store in our basement level garage, which is fairly warm, until April or May. They are covered when not running down the road and are inflated per corner weight and Michellin inflation tables. I am not bragging, just slightly amazed and thankful that they have lasted so well. I will be replacing them this winter while they are off, as it will be approaching the ten year mark. I am a little concerned about the number of people who do have the cracking issue, but I do wonder what percentage of the total number of Michellins out there are affected. Has this been an issue with the XRV's exclusively, or is it an issue with all of their tires?
bcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The plant where tires made is identified by the first 2 characters in the DOT serial code. This will be the exact plant not just the country.
Here's a question, how could my one XRV develop cracks all the way around just above the rim. The otherside which is exposed to the west has no cracks at all. I do keep it covered. Yes, they carried the same DOT markings. Only 4 years old. Michelin sent me a check for 75%, based on wear and their 6 year warranty. Just wondering how one goes South and the other didn't?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote