Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Just got to a campground with no cable and using antenna. Worked fine when last used but this time only 2-3 channels. Have checked all connections and hooked directly to tv but still only 2 channels. Can an antenna just go bad?

bsjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
If it's an amplified antenna, did you remember to switch it on?

JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Are you digital or analog. Many analog channels are gone. So they say now that I put digital tv in my coach I see more analog then ever. Any way I forget to switch mine on all the time and I have never really seen much if a diffrence
Chris and Julia, 2000 fleetwood jamboree class c
livesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
When you change locations any distance, make sure the amplifier is on and you didn't leave it in the cable setting. Then turn on your TV and go thru the auto scan again. Our says it takes 50 minutes, but it only takes about 5 minutes, we just let it run while we are setting up the rest of the MH. You will get many more channels that way.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
yep, power is on.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
How are you determining the signal direction? This may help, AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

BTW what antenna is installed on your MH?

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
The antenna is a winegard 2005 model. I bought an attachment for hd also. Has been working fine. Usually get tons of channels. I am only 20 miles from Richmond Va. which is the capital and we should at least get abc, cbs, nbc. I have tried pointing it all directions and re-scanning.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its probably the weather, major impact on marginal reception.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking of weather... APOD photo the other day was of the Northen Lights (Aurora Borealis). Well I can not see them (2 reasons 1: Too far south, 2: I can not see them, Slight color blindness).

But I sure as blazes can hear 'em, Noise level on my radio hit S-9 (Very strong) and that's with a short antenna (Very weak) if I had the long-long wire up there it would likely be quite a bit stronger.

This same very broadband electronic NOISE also makes television reception harder.

Cause: Sunspot activity a short time ago, Tons of charged particals hitting the upper atmosphere making communications hash.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Originally Posted by bsjones11 View Post
yep, power is on.
You didn't answer the question--did you run the TV through AutoScan at your new CG? These digital TVs must be scanned at every new location.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Agree with docj, and they have to be re-scanned if you turn the antenna, you still might pick up some from the first but I found that if I re-scan after moving the antenna I might get even more than from my first scan.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
American Coach Owners Club
If it's not a power issue, it could be an "aiming" issue. There is an app called TV Towers that we use every time we change locations. It uses your GPS enabled device, in my case an IPAD, to find you then shows the location of the broadcast channels nearest to you. There even an arrow that points at the stations and helps line up the antenna. We've only been to one area outside a metropolitan area that only had some local PBS channels and no networks. Once, some network channels were in one direction and others in another. I got the wrong ones the first time but turned the antenna and rescanned and picked up the one we needed for the show we wanted to watch. And then I use the TV Guide app, input my current zip code, select the antenna option and it identifies the metro area the signals are coming from along with a list of available channels.

I hope some of that makes sense.
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe the original poster probably has something wrong with his antenna. There are several posts where some strong troubleshooting tips were given so I am not going to repeat them. Just use the search function.
For everyone talking about aiming. I am sure we all know there is a dead spot about 5 degrees where the winegard batwing will not turn. The new replacement antenna is fairly cheap and will cure that problem. The winegard planar just fits on where the batwing antenna attached. It uses the same crank up base and turns the same. There is still about 5 degrees that you cannot turn it. The difference is in the antenna. The planar is not a yagi and it receives signals from the front of the antenna or the back. Basically when you turn the antenna 180 degrees from the dead spot the back of the antenna will be getting all the signals that would be coming in if you could turn the front of the antenna towards the dead spot. Basically it gives 360 degrees of coverage. I asked winegard to send me the specifications on both antennas and the Planar has about the same gain.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
I had to replace the cable from the top of the antenna to the cable connection at the roofline. The weather and sun had cracked the insulation and it finally corroded in half. Good luck, HarveyP

94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote