Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Smile Anti-theft devices

We just purchased a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton. Insurance company asked if it has any anti-theft devices. The spec sheet doesn't mention it. What is your opinion of installing an after market system? Is it really needed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve klann View Post
We just purchased a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton. Insurance company asked if it has any anti-theft devices. The spec sheet doesn't mention it. What is your opinion of installing an after market system? Is it really needed?
Tell them yes, locks on the door and windows.

Jim E

Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi steve klann,
Welcome to iRV2. The short answer is no. Unless the device came with the coach, I would not install one. That being said, my coach has air brakes and I made an air brake lock. It takes about 15 seconds to activate or deactivate. That is enough for me.

Go to http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11267 to see the lock installed.

Go to
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11268 to see just the lock.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Talking to several dealerships the worst threat is somebody breaking in to get the TVs. They usually break the glass in the front door. Monaco has a problem because the key lock that is in the lower latch handle lock is part of a master key set that all the dealers have and so do a lot of other people and that is the most common way to get into Monacos. The dead bolt lock is not master keyed. On the Tiffin your locks are not master keyed also your push button keypad for entry is unique to your coach only. Monaco's come with a factory set generic code which has to be changed. I wouldn't worry so much about somebody driving the coach off as ai would breaking in and stealing the TVs. The problem is they are going to break in when it is stored or you are not around and these days most people don't want to get involved if an alarm is going off. If I hear an alarm my brother, Glock< and I are going to investigate. Stick a NRA and a Glock sticker on the door glass and they will leave you alone
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took a look at that parking brake lock and made a comment to the originator.

That parking brake lock is made of plastic, just like the push button yello logo lock, isn't it. To easy to break the plastic on either one.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to stop somebody from driving off in the MH I can think of a couple of fuses that can be pulled that will stop the motor from being started or even hide a toggle switch that would disable it. It is hard enough for us to find fuses and we know the MHs
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tell them it's a Ford who in there right mind would steal a Ford
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
No one! They're worth paying for!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #9

I've installed two hidden switches that cost me less than $20: one to disable the starter, and the other to disable an electric fuel lift pump. The switches are completely hidden and are located in different parts of the cockpit, although both can be accessed from the driver's seat if you know where they are.

These measures can be defeated, but it would take quite a while to figure out what's going on.

However, my rig still can be towed off if they have the resources to get that done. It's hard to cover all eventualities.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
I got one of these http://www.americanbulldogsecurity.com is home for AAS Alarm Systems. Saved $$$$ on my insurance
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
In former life I used to work for a security co in Houston. Still have "45-TRACK". Kinda like Lojack but better in that family and friends can follow our trip with only five minute lag. Satellite tracking system reports current location and motor on/off status every five minutes. Cool to see location plus or minus ten feet on satellite image. If stolen we can tell LEO exactly where it is. Insurance co. gave zero discount! Guess theft of RV less of a problem than damage due to weather and accidents. Oh well.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I got one of these http://www.americanbulldogsecurity.com is home for AAS Alarm Systems. Saved $$$$ on my insurance
Hey that's pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
Spoken like someone who loves Ford as much as I do : (That is a complement on your good taste by the way)

How about a pet ocelot? (line from a tv show: You can't change spots on ocelots)

My parish Priest used to have a dog.. When you first set foot in the rectory you saw what appeared to be a good size (Think German Shepard or Wire-Hair Terrier) dog in full attack mode.

Now understand this dog never hurt anyone.. I mean his name was PLASTIC, he was a statue.. but I can tell you anyone breaking would be breakign out and FAST cause the smart burgler does not ask "is it real or is it memorex"

I've often thought that a CD would be a good burglar alarm.. When the entry is opened the system starts.. Give them a minute or so of digital silence and then SHHHHA--SHUNK of a shotgun being made ready to do business.

This would not alarm the owner, being as he knows what it is but the average burglar is going to be OUTTA-THERE breaking the sound barrier as he leaves.

Of course there is no shotgun.. Just a sound effect, but hey, he won' t know that.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't worry about an alarm system. The only time to worry is if you have the RV in storage. Otherwise it will be fine. I know people who leave their rigs unlocked in campgrounds when they go out to dinner or wherever. I know people who never lock their outside hatches too.. People in most RV parks are nice people and will not bother your rig.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarms, anti-theft, motorhome