RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Anti Theft Kill Switch

I'd like to install a switch in my Monaco DP motorhome so that I have more piece of mind when stopping at places for dinner or sight seeing. I don't care where inside the switch might be since I can even put it in a closet in the rear.

I'm looking for the best and easiest way to disable the engine, Cummins 300ISB from starting. If someone has a schematic or good description of how to do this with possible parts list it would be great.

Thanks for the time and looking forward to the usual great responses.

Dale

noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have a chassis battery disconnect, then why not just turn it off and lock the compartment?

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Chassis battery disconnect would work for that battery bank but the battery boost switch would then connect both the banks together and the engine would then have enough power to start.

Thanks but looking for an easier and more secure method.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

I asked this question a long time ago and was asked, "where in the heck are you parking anyway"? What are you worried about? I've never heard of a coach being stolen. Find a better, safer places to park/camp. Jeeze.

Never got a good answer on a kill switch.

So, instead of running new wires, switches, relays or whatever is needed and possibly introducing new electrical problems, when we are in an area that were going to be for awhile and gone from the coach sight seeing or whatever, I just pull the fuel pump fuse.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I find out which one that is it would be one suggestion. I'm finding out that most of the answers on here of a FB group are answering questions that have not been asked. Thanks for being on topic. It is not a normal thing lately. I know I could put a switch in the fuel pump circuit but am still looking for other suggestions.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

I've done this before but if you use the green search box at the top of the page and search for "Kill Switch" you get all these replies.

If you find something that works please let me/us know. I'd still like to install one in the future as long as it doesn't cause me electrical grief.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...earch=irv2.com

I also found this video that may get your juices flowing for some ideas. I especially like the one at 1:18:
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Do you have rear\at engine start panel. If its off and in remote selection ,causes no start condition. Posters forget or bump it once in a while. Some have added second/back up starter solinoid with this also. I have read the being added on side of road to get going because of hard to diagnose issue.So can't be that difficult on some rigs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don't have a rear start spot but maybe a cutoff switch to the starter is the best route
Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

Since you have a diesel engine, just install a switch in the fuel solenoid circuit. No fuel = no start.
Consider this, in order to access the ignition switch they must first either break a window out or pry open the door. neither is a fast and quiet entry, thieves do not want to be caught so they bypass secured vehicles that would risk detection, and move to an easier target. Nothing you can do will stop a determined thief, you just make a break-in so time consuming the thief moves to an easier target out of fear of detection.

There is a thread on irv2.com about replacing the remote entry door lock. The author said he installed a burglar alarm(siren) at the same time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #10

More likely they'll steal the Toad. Kind of hard to fence a bus.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

99.9 percent of thieves wouldn't know how to turn the chassis batteries back on, let alone figure out how to start and drive a large rv. Most people are terrified to drive anything larger than a pickup truck.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #12

Just put a lock around the park brake. Simple, cheap and easy, plus you can leave it on while you are parked so no one accidentally bumps it and release the brakes. You can't stop a thief. A lock just keeps an honest man honest.
Dlciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Since you have a diesel engine, just install a switch in the fuel solenoid circuit. No fuel = no start.
Consider this, in order to access the ignition switch they must first either break a window out or pry open the door. neither is a fast and quiet entry, thieves do not want to be caught so they bypass secured vehicles that would risk detection, and move to an easier target. Nothing you can do will stop a determined thief, you just make a break-in so time consuming the thief moves to an easier target out of fear of detection.

There is a thread on irv2.com about replacing the remote entry door lock. The author said he installed a burglar alarm(siren) at the same time.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure sounds like a whole lot easier solution than trying to jamb up the electrical side of the diesel coach, in an attempt to thwart a potential disappearance. Heck, I did it to mine. Loooooonnnnnggg story short, I had a no start situation a long time ago, right after a fuel filter change. Well, after a whole day of frustration, phone calls and trying to find some C-4 to blow the thing up, I ended up with a remedy for it (the no-start deal). I installed two, 1/4 turn fuel valves. One before the filter and one after. Now, when it comes time for a fuel filter change, to prevent drain-back into the tank, I shut down both valves and that shuts the fuel system off. Now, I can take my time in changing the filter.

But, the point is, you can install one of those valves fairly easily, depending accessibility for fittings and lines etc. If you do have "somewhat" decent access to part of your fuel system, you might install a valve like I did. Yeah, you'd have to turn it manually instead of a remote switch etc. But, the install would be SERIOUSLY easier. And, you'd have to remember that you turned it off, when you left the coach last.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #14

If I were doing it I would either put a pad lock around the stem of the air brake switch or a hidden toggle switch in series with the starter circuit.

Tags
switch