Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #1

Antifreeze smell when heater is turned on

I just bought a used 2005 winnebago adventurer and when I turned on the heater we smell antifreeze. Heater core leak?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #2

Most likely. If you use the defrost mode does it fog up the windows?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
laj

sounds reasonable. doesn't take much of a leak to be able to smell it, or create god on your windshield. a pinhole will do it.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
laj

sorry, fog on the windshield.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you use Propylene Glycol antifreeze (less toxic) it is poisonous and the leak needs to be taken care of ASAP.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrobsdad View Post
I just bought a used 2005 winnebago adventurer and when I turned on the heater we smell antifreeze. Heater core leak?
It will not take much antifreeze to smell it. I would run the engine, turn on the heater and look around the heater where the rubber lines connect to the heater core. A small drip will show up if it is leaking. The heater takes outside air in in some cases to be heated so a external leak would contaminate the inflow air for the heater and you would smell it. If you turn on the defroster system and your windows fog up and you smell antifreeze I would suspect the heater core has a leak. Let us know how this turn out for you. Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had that smell twice. Once in my MH and once in my car. Both times it was the heater core. Let us know what you find. Good luck. I had to change the heater core in a 2003 Chieftain and had to pull the front cap off below the windshield.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same symptom and used the GMAC leak repair tablets. I figured it would be a temporary fix. That was about six years ago and it is still holding.

i crushed them up before adding them to the radiator.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to pressure test your cooling system preferably when cold for safety to locate the problem.

Pressure testing your coolant system for leaks - YouTube
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #10

Hello sounds like a heater core as well best time to check for any antifreeze leak is when its cold .Antifreeze tends to leak when cold not hot.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I had the same symptom and used the GMAC leak repair tablets. I figured it would be a temporary fix. That was about six years ago and it is still holding.

i crushed them up before adding them to the radiator.
I wouldn't be bragging about that..............You should really fix the problem. What will happen is when you need it and rely on it the most out in the middle of no where......That's when it'll puke on you.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
About half the time we found that the heater core was not leaking. If the clamps on the heater hose get loose, it will allow anti freeze to shoot into the heater and look and smell like a core leak. I hate to say it, but a lot of people have paid for a heater core replacement and all the mechanic did was tighten the clamp. I would check the clamps first.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #13

Actually there is not afogging issue on the window and the smell seems to go away after a while.

Tags
heater, smell