Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I find that the best thing for dealing with a nervous co-pilot is for the driver to have exceptional selective hearing.

You're kidding yourself to think that there's a rational solution that will address somebody's irrational fears. If your co-pilot's fears don't subside after a little "time in the seat" - all you can do is let them figure out how to deal with it.

Were you to listen to my DW - the only reason we survive any drive is because of her uncanny ability to supervise me. I leave her to her illusions ... and let most of what I'm told go in one ear and out the other.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anxious Co-Pilot

Mrfoto...... how long have you had the Class A? If you're both adjusting to it, a fair bit of her trepidation may relate to your lane positioning. What's your reference key to keep yourself centered? Remember, a perfectly centered Class A on the Interstate still has less than 2 ft clearance on each side. On a rural 2-lane you may only have 9 inches. You're new to the coach, too. If you haven't yet learned to occupy your lane that right hand seat can be a scary place!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 AM   #17

As a retired Pilot I would compare it to a "sight picture" on landing or maneuvering a new airplane in the air or on the ground. You will learn it and be dialed in. But it takes a few hours, or in this case, miles or trips. It will be fine.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #18

Many good ideas but if none works maybe back to a class C is the answer. They make super Cs now that are as big as As. Some types of anxiety in some people just are hard to get past.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
I can not provide a solution for the OP.

But........every driver should ride shotgun in their motorhome to understand what that passenger position experiences.

My wife drives our rig as well as I do. But until we began her learning experience, I did not understand her reactions.

Riding in the navigator's chair gave me some learning also......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Anxious Co-Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
As a retired Pilot I would compare it to a "sight picture" on landing or maneuvering a new airplane in the air or on the ground. You will learn it and be dialed in. But it takes a few hours, or in this case, miles or trips. It will be fine.
My DW is a Flight Attendant and pretty much can handle anything. If she's up I just yell "turbulence!" when there's a turn ahead or I need to slow down. She's never complained when I drive the 40' bus and loves the view out the front picture window. But like when driving a car, unconsciously your Class A will (hopefully) become an extension of your body and you'll just "know" where you are on the road. The calmer and more confident you are when you're driving the calmer the co-pilot will be. If you're Anxious Andy or Nervous Nelly when you drive it'll make your co-pilot nervous and anxious, too.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Some of you are really lucky. I wish I could get my DW to drive the coach. She is actually a more than competent driver but she shrivels at the thought of even attempting to drive the coach.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Annette was VERY nervous when we first got the MH, but in time she got used to it and now is totally relaxed over there!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #23

Oh can I relate to this conversation. We have had class C Motorhomes for many years. When we bought the class A my wife promised to learn and share the driving. Safety was important. So, three years later I pass a big class A somewhere in Montana at 60mph. My copilot looks over at the driver of the other vehicle traveling about 55, and she had to be at least upper 70's and driving beautifully.

Next stop she said "I'm ready, my turn". After a brief discussion about driving and braking technique, away we went. She definitely learned watching and verbalizing what we do. After about an hour I had the footrest up, kicked back, relaxed, and was blown away by the view from the right seat.

There IS hope! I asked her if passing that driver made a difference, and the answer was a simple "yes".
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
We have had several people race around us on right shoulders and merge ramps to beat us that really scared her. We usually are withing 5mph of speed limit in traffic that prevented them from passing us in left lane. Or they are on ramp merging and have it floored trying to catch up and beat us before merge lane ends.
This, I don't understand. We have never had anyone go around us on the shoulders or merge ramps! I'm wondering if it's something you're doing that makes folks go around you like that.

I'd recommend getting her in the driver's seat so she gets a better feel on distances and lines.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This, I don't understand. We have never had anyone go around us on the shoulders or merge ramps! I'm wondering if it's something you're doing that makes folks go around you like that.

I'd recommend getting her in the driver's seat so she gets a better feel on distances and lines.
Good question! The only thing I can figure is that I only do 62mph in 65 & 70 mph limits due to towing HHR that transmission requires less than 65mph while towing. The ramps are the worst!
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #26

One help might be to drive secondary roads rather than interstates. They have slower speeds. Plus.... you see more of the countryside.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #27

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:

I know what he is doing. Driving at or slightly under the speed limit in an urban multi lane highway. I've seen cars with excessive speed cut across 4 lanes in front of me and others only to make an exit. Joe Racer lives!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
I am not a good passenger so I do the driving and my husband likes to read and nap. ... But he's a good driver - I'm just not a good passenger!
I'm also a terrible passenger, paired with an excellent driver. But my terribleness as a passenger prevails, so I do almost all the driving.

I think that's actually the solution for the OP, or at least something to try.

Quote:
One help might be to drive secondary roads rather than interstates. They have slower speeds. Plus.... you see more of the countryside.
A primary reason I'm a terrible passengers is fears about stopping distance. And for that reason, I hate secondary roads, especially with stoplights. Even at slower speeds, if the light changes right in front of you, you're going to have to make a split-second decision whether to try to stop or to blow through it.

My inclination is to lift off the gas as I approach a green light on a highway, to make it easier to stop in case it turns, but sometimes that slows me down enough that I actually end up catching the red light, and having to stop suddenly anyway. But maintaining speed while approaching a light that might change seems like a bad idea, too.

I do look at the cross streets in the intersection as I approach, even from way far away, reasoning that if there are cars waiting there then the light might be fixing to change. But even with that much awareness, you can't predict what's going to happen.

I adore the intersections where they have a warning light well before the stoplight that indicates the light ahead is changing, but they are few and far between. At least with those, if that warning light isn't blinking, then I know that if I maintain my speed I'm not going to encounter an unexpected red light.

Overall, I prefer driving the moho + toad on limited access highways, even if it means dealing with idiots on ramps.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote