Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Any Boondockers with residential fridges?

Just wanted to see how the residential fridges are working in a boondocking situation. I have a 5500 Onan generator 2 deep cycle batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. If I can get a residential fridge that runs off the inverter overnight I might consider a residential fridge.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Our little 4.5 cf runs for UP TO 3 days on 1/2 of 500ah batteries, sitting in the driveway.

Added 200w solar and we do our 3-4 days boon docking with gen only to power the all elec water heater for less than an hour per day. Use that gen time to pop corn too
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We leave our residential fridge (with ice maker turned off) on batteries 99% of the time (and TV, lights, laptops, etc). We are running from a 3000w inverter powered by 880ah of batteries, however. One of the tricks you will learn is that the fridge can be turned off each night when you sleep -- makes a big difference in the daily amount of ah power you consume. During the day (when the fridge is running) solar is keeping our batteries at full charge.

Run the calculations to see what your typical daily power consumption is in your coach and add the batteries necessary to make it happen. Then use the genny (or solar) to keep the batteries charged.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our MH came with a large 3-door Whirlpool Residential Refrigerator and we boomdocked with it for 4.5 days beautifully. And we used the MW. Our solar keeps the batteries charged and we run the generator each morning to power to full capacity. We never turn it off at night. LOVE LOVE LOVE our residential refrigerator w/ ice maker and watwmwater disperser!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #5

I have been running a residential fridge for 6 years on my boat, out in a mooring field. It is 7.5 cf, apartment size that uses 8 amps DC when running on my PS inverter.

It will use about 120 AH in 24 hours, a bit more then half the capacity of a pair of 6 volt GC2's. Since we have 675 watts of solar the fridge uses no battery power, during the middle part of clear days.

A bigger fridge may use twice the power and will still make thru a night. Remember they run less then half the time and less at night.

The important part is to put back the power you use. If you use 100 amp hours ( 1/2 the battery ) you need to replace about 120 AH. If you have a 40 amp charger, that 3 hours + running time. That will only cover the night time running. You need to add charging time for the daytime use, unless you have enough solar to cover the load.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #6

Add us to the no problems with residential fries and boon docking. 800AH of house battery, 1200W 48V Solar Panels. We only run the generator if the dinner plans needs the convection oven.

We do not, as of yet, turn off our Samsung at night. With evening lights, computers, tv/directtv/blueray/AVR and all night of refrigerator running - we're usually at between 75-80% SOC in the AM, when I turn on the coffee pot. We have used the fan for up to an hour + at night, hot wife! And have seen 72-75% SOC on those occasions.

Usually in float by 9:30-10:00AM, depending upon the time of year, weather conditions, and tree shading.

On two occasions, while in deep shade all day, I've run the generator to top off up to 100% SOC, usually tied with dinner plans.

We know we have the capacity. And, we also know we could shave power consumption easily if needed.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

You didn't specify what size (amp hour) batteries you have. Your inverter is big enough. Assuming you have a total of about 216 ampHr (2x 6 volt) or 108 ampHr usable that seems to be a little light for a full size residential.
As a comparison, newer coaches with residential fridges are coming with a minimum of four 6 volt batteries.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
You didn't specify what size (amp hour) batteries you have. Your inverter is big enough. Assuming you have a total of about 216 ampHr (2x 6 volt) or 108 ampHr usable that seems to be a little light for a full size residential.
As a comparison, newer coaches with residential fridges are coming with a minimum of four 6 volt batteries.
I'm looking at a 10 cubic ft refrigerator I have 220 amphrs I may add another battery my hope is that I can run the fridge at night on the inverter then recharge each morning with the Onan. We are usually off the grid for only 3 or 4 days at a time. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #9

I am also looking at going to residential. I found a full size lg that uses 2.7 amps Kind of low usage. I just bought our 2004 and yesterday looking at the batteries I found the 9-2014 batteries to be 12 v deep cycle marine batteries. Will this work or should I go back to 6 volters?
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I'm looking at a 10 cubic ft refrigerator I have 220 amphrs I may add another battery my hope is that I can run the fridge at night on the inverter then recharge each morning with the Onan. We are usually off the grid for only 3 or 4 days at a time. Thanks.
At night with everything on standby I run my 10.3 CF Haier with my 2000 watt MSW inverter/charger. With outside temps in the 60's it takes approximately 10 amp hours of battery per hour. With your 100 amp hour of useable power you are playing it very close.

I altered my slide out tray to hold 4 each 6 volt batteries. This gave me plenty of power to boondock.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
I am also looking at going to residential. I found a full size lg that uses 2.7 amps Kind of low usage. I just bought our 2004 and yesterday looking at the batteries I found the 9-2014 batteries to be 12 v deep cycle marine batteries. Will this work or should I go back to 6 volters?
We have a Samsung fridge with four Lifeline 12v battery's and can run for 36hrs. We don't have solar. No problems, icemaker turned off.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
looking at the batteries I found the 9-2014 batteries to be 12 v deep cycle marine batteries. Will this work or should I go back to 6 volters?
Marine deep cycles are a hybrid of a deep cycle and a starting battery and should not be expected to last long RV usage, especially if running off-grid very often. Lucky to get two years in that kind of use. The GC2 6v (golf cart) batteries are far superior in longevity when in regular deep cycle use. You can get excellent 12v deep cycles too, but they won't say anything about "marine" on them. Something like Trojan 27TMH is every bit the equal of a 6v GC battery in capacity and longevity. May cost more, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge