Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Any dealer accountability laws on used Rv?

So on the way home from picking up our Rv around 30 miles for the dealer, it started making this ding ding ding noise. Either a leveling jack sensor, a parking brake pressure switch or transmission alarm. On top of that 2 days later the Rv chasis batteries and coach batteries were low after some out of the norm Texas cold weather. Checked the battery levels and they were fine, but according to matco battery load tester, each one failed a 15 second load test. I don't mind replacing stuff that wears out, but 2 days of ownership, there gotta be some law to protect the buyer from "as is" clauses.
I have multiple texts as to concerns I had when buying and they assured me everything would be working perfect. I even called the dealer within the first 30 miles of driving and informed them of the alarm going off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is no law, it's buyer beware. Only 30 miles, take it back and tell them to fix it. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you sent text asking about things working and they assured you they were working perfect then a remote possibility you can do something about it. Very very very remote. The problem you have is that when you left the dealer everything was working. The wording of the text is going to be part of the issue. Did they say that everything had been checked and was in good condition or did they say everything is working. If they said everything was working then you are going to have to check everything that is not working and see if there is something that could not have worked when you picked it up for instance batteries. Batteries do not go bad in thirty minutes. Have a battery company test the batteries to determine if they are discharged or dead cells and how many batteries have dead cells etc. In 30 min you will not have several batteries develop dead cells. If you can find something like this that is probably and the text says EVERYTHING was working you might have a claim of fraudulent inducement. Going to be hard to prove and then what do you get as damages. A lawyer if it is provable might be able to get you a refund. If there are a few things such as batteries, jacks, etc small claims court would be a much better way to go and get stuff fixed. Small claims court in Arkansas is 125.00 fileing fee. No lawyers allowed to represent clients in small claims court so is you against the dealer. Various states have various maximum limits in Arkansas I believe it is 6000.00 This might be a good approach to get some things fixed. Good luck I believe you are going to need it.

This is one of the reasons I chose to pay a bunch for a warranty when I bought my coach. You never know what is going to be bad when you get it or go bad in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Yikes...not a good start, but things like this happen - shouldn't, but it does. So...after you notified them of the problems, what was their response?

Hopefully, if the dealership is anywhere fair, they should help you to a resolution...unless it was an 'AS IS' deal, then you may be on your own. Good luck X2.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
have you asked the dealer for any help? a good dealers would probably help you out. It's probably a minor problem could just be low on fluid for the jacks. you said it took a couple days and then the batteries were down. did you fully charge them before load testing them? it takes a couple days to get them only charged. Obviously, everything was working when you left the dealer. As is, is just that, as is. A quality dealer however will make small problems right.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally it is strictly...Buyer Beware. Some state have a Deceptive Trade practices Act that you may be able to use.

Ken
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Batteries are considered a consumable item and likely not covered in the "everything works perfect" texts that you referenced. 30 miles is not very far in the RV Dealership world but check the fluid level on your levelers. It might be worth a bottle of fluid not to have to drive it back to the dealer if that is the case (And it is the most likely).

What did they say when you called them about the dinging?

Oh, the As Is thing is pretty much the way it is UNLESS the dealer made some other explicit warranty. If you really do have text messages from them that really do have them saying that everything works perfect, then you do have something to stand on.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Batteries are considered a consumable item and likely not covered in the "everything works perfect" texts that you referenced. 30 miles is not very far in the RV Dealership world but check the fluid level on your levelers. It might be worth a bottle of fluid not to have to drive it back to the dealer if that is the case (And it is the most likely).

What did they say when you called them about the dinging?

Oh, the As Is thing is pretty much the way it is UNLESS the dealer made some other explicit warranty. If you really do have text messages from them that really do have them saying that everything works perfect, then you do have something to stand on.
I do have the texts. They have not returned my call or texts. Small claims court sounds better IMO. If I can't count on them to make it right, why would I want them working on it again? I checked all the fluids, they are all at the full mark
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
I do have the texts. They have not returned my call or texts. Small claims court sounds better IMO. If I can't count on them to make it right, why would I want them working on it again? I checked all the fluids, they are all at the full mark
Wow, you may actually have one of the rare as-is cases that you could win. It will still likely be a pain for you but you seem to have the drive to make them accountable and that is great. Please do let us know how it works out eventually as it is rather interesting. Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to put some money in up front to have an independent dealer inspect it and report what is making the beeping.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you get any type of warranty? Many dealers will give a limited warranty (30 days or whatever) for a used RV. Did you buy from an RV dealership? Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am sorry you had trouble. This is a very common situation reported here.

One good way to avoid "as-is" is to negotiate a warranty and it's terms.

A short warranty with some reasonable payment for same would most likely be acceptable to both parties.

You signed a contract, you have to stick to it.

Learn from your mistakes.

Personally, I never accept "as-is" unless the unit is priced low enough to offset any major expenses that may occur within 30 days.

I also have offered short term warranties when selling unless I am selling at a very low price.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I am sorry you had trouble. This is a very common situation reported here.

One good way to avoid "as-is" is to negotiate a warranty and it's terms.

A short warranty with some reasonable payment for same would most likely be acceptable to both parties.

You signed a contract, you have to stick to it.

Learn from your mistakes.

Personally, I never accept "as-is" unless the unit is priced low enough to offset any major expenses that may occur within 30 days.

I also have offered short term warranties when selling unless I am selling at a very low price.
Not necessarily. It would depend on how slick the dealership was with the text messages to the OP. If he entered the contract based on false representations by the dealer (Everything works perfectly), then he does not have to stick with the as-is thing. Usually a buyer is screwed in this kind of situation and we all really should be aware but this is a little different and interesting.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Not necessarily. It would depend on how slick the dealership was with the text messages to the OP. If he entered the contract based on false representations by the dealer (Everything works perfectly), then he does not have to stick with the as-is thing. Usually a buyer is screwed in this kind of situation and we all really should be aware but this is a little different and interesting.

It will be for the lawyers to fight out,and who is going to win? The Lawyers.

It is my understanding that when a written and signed agreement exists, it over rides any other agreements, oral, texts, etc. But then again I am not a lawyer, nor do I have all the information.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
It will be for the lawyers to fight out,and who is going to win? The Lawyers.

It is my understanding that when a written and signed agreement exists, it over rides any other agreements, oral, texts, etc. But then again I am not a lawyer, nor do I have all the information.
I agree that the lawyers usually win heheh. Depending on what he is gong for here though, small claims court can be his friend. You don't need a lawyer. If he finds that there is something major in need of repair, presents the text messages, the report from the independent repair facility identifying the needed repairs and at least 2 quotes, he has a very good chance of being awarded the money for the repair.

Tags
dealer