Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Any Downsides to Full-Body-Paint?

I'm thinking of buying a new coach, probably a Winnebago Vista. Other than cost, what are the cons of having full-body-paint? Anybody have experience with the 3M clear bra? I thank you for any advice you may have.

dezrtracr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Darker paint means it is much harder to keep the coach cool enough in hot weather, or so I've read in many posts. Otherwise, I can't see a downside.
3M clear bra. There is a recent post/topic about how to remove one because of a problem.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is our 1st coach w/full body paint & love it. A good automotive wax at least 1x/yr keeps it looking shiny & brand new looking. No peeling decals w/fbp either.

Just as Ray stated, darker colors are harder to keep interior cool on hot days. We've tested both with a laser temp gun & the temp difference is huge. They also show water spots much more making them a bear in maintenance keeping those spots off.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Don't go for the clear film bra. The stones still chip the paint, but it can't be fixed under the bra. I peeled one on a 2008 Allegro Bus and ordered the 2013 without it. I'll never use the junk again. Edges tend to peel and mildew forms under it. When you have to peel it, a lot of paint and/or clear coat comes with it. In addition the hard bugs stick into the plastic and it cannot be polished. Definitely dulls with age and sun exposure.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Full body paint, with clear coat, is easier to care for. As stated before, a good quality polymer at least once a year, goes on easy, and produces nice results.

I have no experience with the 3M product you ask about. I do have the Diamond Shield on the front of my coach. Like most other DS owners, I am not happy with how it ages and mildew grows underneath it. Much has been written on this forum concerning Diamond Shield. Hopefully, 3M has a better mousetrap.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach, which is now 12 years old, looks like new with the full-body paint! Run-off streaks down the side can be wiped off with a dry cloth! I would never have another MH without it!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love our full body paint. Can't really think of anything negative. Our coach is 10 years old this year and the Diamond Shield on the front is like new. Haven't had any problem with it so far either. Good Luck.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
The biggest downside to that $20,000 full body paint job in my mind is the point at which the clear coat begins shedding from the rig.

(If the rig is garaged and not used frequently, this may not be a problem.)

At that time, be it 5 years or 15 year from now, repairing (replacing) that paint job will be expensive.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
It seems that all the manufacturers are ditching the classic white gelcoat and moving to full body paint. My problem with that is almost all the available colors are dark, darker and more dark, especially on the flight deck. Here in the southwest there is no way I would own a dark vehicle, especially one with such a high volume of interior air to try and keep cool. Come on manufacturers, white and off-white and light gray are paint colors, too!

And I agree with Lori, a freshly washed dark-colored coach shows dust and water spots quickly and makes it really difficult to keep that clean appearance.
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re-sale of a painted RVwill likely be a little higher or easier too, though I don't think you actually get your full money back. I think that a painted used coach will fetch more/quicker attention than a non-painted used coach.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
One downside is all the rv washing you will have to do afterwards. It will be so shiny you wont be able to let it get dirty any more.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Our 03 Phaeton came from the factory all white. The dealer then had the 03 Allegro Bus pattern painted on it by a local shop they applied several coats of clear on it along with the 3M shield. When we traded it two years ago, the paint still looked new and the 3M shield was still good. No downside to full body paint that I could see. I also had the 3M product applied to the sides of a Jeep Rubicon that we used for offroad. Had a lot of scratches on the 3M, but nothing went through to the paint. A heat gun and patience, removed it and paint was like new. Great stuff. The Diamond Shield on our MH is just as good.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The full body paint is great ...helps keep the coach looking good. (wish the roof had been painted white instead of left as gel coat). I paid to have 3m applied, and then had to remove it after it went to crap after 5-6 years. If I KNEW I would sell the coach at 3 years I might get it ...otherwise I consider it a bad waste of $$$.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
The biggest downside to that $20,000 full body paint job in my mind is the point at which the clear coat begins shedding from the rig.

(If the rig is garaged and not used frequently, this may not be a problem.)

At that time, be it 5 years or 15 year from now, repairing (replacing) that paint job will be expensive.
Love the full paint, but I spent $1500 last year to have one color repainted for a section that was about 10 feet long and about 4 feet down to 1 foot wide... And that was from a close friend... But otherwise love the paint.

Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote