Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I need a good tire pressure gauge for my Class A. I need it to go to at least 125psi. I'd prefer something heavy duty with a digital readout and a truck type air chuck end. I currently have a analog Trucker's Friend and would like something that will last. Got any ideas?
I overspent but could not be happier with the Intercomp gauge I purchased right after buying our coach.

http://www.intercomp-racing.com/Prod..._GAUGE_927.cfm
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
This is the absolute Rolls Royce of digital truck gauges. It cost $132 but it works and comes in a beutiful padded aluminum case and goes from 5 to 125 psi. We use Longacre tire gauge on our race car as do a lot of drag and NASCAR racers. They will put the dually head on it if you call them and ask them. Call Longacre Racing at 800.423.3110 and make sure you ask for Missy so you get the correct setup. Like I said this is expensive but is well worth. Can be used accurately at 30 psi for your cars or 110 psi for the motorhome. This will not break after one trip.

Click here for the specs: Longacre Racing - Online Catalog: Electronic Wheel Scales, Gauges, Pyrometers, Chassis Setup and More!
MIKE, thanks for posting. I took your recommendation and ordered this version;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 4.48.32 AM.png
Views:	165
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	137730  
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
MIKE, thanks for posting. I took your recommendation and ordered this version;
I did as well last year. Beautiful gauge. My prior gauge was inconsistent.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #60

A few years ago I looked into the accuracy of various guages. The problem of inaccuracy usually comes up after they have been dropped. The Round guage type ones being more susceptible to inaccuracy than the straight "pencil style".
Most (perhaps all?) of the pencil style do not have a spring. Without a spring they are less susceptible to being dropped. Race car technicians tend to be VERY careful with their guages. We used Otter boxes to protect our pressure guages for the race car, we never loaned them to anybody, and if we dropped it once we would send it out to get verified.
Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #61

After several purchases of tire inflating chucks for my motor home, I purchased a Milton S-516 chuck, which I am well pleased with it.

I also use it as a tire pressure gauge after installing a plugged quick disconnect coupler in place of the air pressure hose coupler.

If a tire needs air, (which almost never happens during the travel season), I then drag out the air hose to fill the tire.

I routinely check it against a quality reference shop pressure gauge.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #62

Commercial Member

Lots of gauges out there and you don't have to spend much $ either.

1. Get a good digital gauge like Accutire MS 4021B $12 This becomes your "Master Gauge and you do not use it to check tires but to confirm your "work gauge is accurate and consistent with a once a month check or if you get strange readings from the dual foot gauge

2. Get a dual foot gauge like Milton ($20)and use this to check your tires daily.

Better yet get a TPMS ($360 for 6 tire) and know the tire pressure is OK all the time. You can still use the hand gauge (Milton) once a month or so to be sure the TPMS is staying reasonable. Once you set your tire pressure using your hand gauge you will see slightly different psi reading from TPMS. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. The TPMS is designed to warn of air loss. you will soon get use to the readings you get from the TPMS.

Above is what I bought and use.

Even the most expensive or most accurate hand gauge can't tell you the pressure as you drive down the road or even 5 minutes after you pull out of the campground with a slow leak from that drywall screw you drove over on the exit road.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #63

Having a "Master Gauge" a great idea

Thanks tireman9 for pointing out the need for a "Master Gauge." As a new owner of a MH, I am very concerned about getting this right. I ordered the Accutire MS you mentioned and will take it to be calibrated.

BTW, do you have any opinion on the Viair 400P-RV portable compressor? I would like to add any needed air before we leave the CG in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Lots of gauges out there and you don't have to spend much $ either.

1. Get a good digital gauge like Accutire MS 4021B $12 This becomes your "Master Gauge and you do not use it to check tires but to confirm your "work gauge is accurate and consistent with a once a month check or if you get strange readings from the dual foot gauge

2. Get a dual foot gauge like Milton ($20)and use this to check your tires daily.

Better yet get a TPMS ($360 for 6 tire) and know the tire pressure is OK all the time. You can still use the hand gauge (Milton) once a month or so to be sure the TPMS is staying reasonable. Once you set your tire pressure using your hand gauge you will see slightly different psi reading from TPMS. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. The TPMS is designed to warn of air loss. you will soon get use to the readings you get from the TPMS.

Above is what I bought and use.

Even the most expensive or most accurate hand gauge can't tell you the pressure as you drive down the road or even 5 minutes after you pull out of the campground with a slow leak from that drywall screw you drove over on the exit road.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #64

Thor Owners Club
Very helpful. I just ordered both.
JoeyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #65

i purchased a Tireminder. has digital gauge and is very heavy duty all metal with additional "probe" that has both straight and 45 degree tip. runs about $44.00 from Amazon and has a 5 year guarantee
KyMedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #66

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost: $55.00

Accurate within .01 PSI and perfectly matches tire pressure with my TPMS EEZRV system. Best tire gauge I've ever owned.

I bought this air compressor to go with it and carry both in my MH.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost: $251.00
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #67

I realize this is over a year old but just a quick update on the Longacre ProDigital gauge. I called Longacre this morning to get some info.

1. Missy is no longer employed there.

2. The guy who answered the phone was pretty much an anus and a smartass and clearly was irritated that I had interrupted his morning. When asking specific questions about the gauge, he asked me "what was showing on the website. That's the information I have."
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
I realize this is over a year old but just a quick update on the Longacre ProDigital gauge. I called Longacre this morning to get some info.

1. Missy is no longer employed there.

2. The guy who answered the phone was pretty much an anus and a smartass and clearly was irritated that I had interrupted his morning. When asking specific questions about the gauge, he asked me "what was showing on the website. That's the information I have."

That's unfortunate, I think I would call again and ask for a manager. Otherwise, contact the owner/general manager. I love my gauge.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #69

It still makes me roll my eyes when anyone buys XYZ digital gauge and thinks that since it reads down to 0.5 psi, or less, it is "accurate". Precision (claimed or actual) and accurate are different things.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #70

Commercial Member

IMO For highway use "precision" of 1 psi increments is just fine with 2 psi being OK as long as there is a margin of pressure at least +5% over the minimum needed to support the measured load.

Accuracy of +/- 1 psi is nice and +/- 2 is OK as long as you know which direction and how much off your gauge is.

I have a couple of blog posts on gauges and TPMS accuracy over the next few weeks on my blog. I even outline a "system" that can almost 100% guaranty you are getting consistent and accurate pressure readings for all your tires.

My "system" can be duplicated for less than $25