Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Any issue with turning on your generator while hooked to shore power?

Somebody told me this was a no no. I realize there isn't usually a need, but I'd like to know if it's death to anything if it happens.

Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

I have done it several times when doing maintenance on the generator while still hooked to shore power. Ours is set such that Generator has priority over shore power. So once started and breaker not tripped on genset the transfer switch transfers power to the generator.

Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
Somebody told me this was a no no. I realize there isn't usually a need, but I'd like to know if it's death to anything if it happens.

It shouldn't be a problem but...

One popular opinion is to avoid this practice especially with big loads. The idea is to protect the ATS from problems it SHOULD be able to handle.

My normal pattern is to turn off high load items like the air conditioners and such when transferring between shore and generator power. I'm certain some folks don't worry much about it and let the ATS do its thing.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
+1 for SkyBoss. As long as there is a minimal electrical load when starting the generator it is not a problem. The idea is to prevent arcing of the transfer switch contacts when the switch is energized. Same goes for when first connecting to shore power. Turn off any high loads.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Starting the generator while plugged into shore power is safe enough, but you will get a tiny double voltage spike at the point of changeover. It is enough to blow an appliance. Know of someone who destroyed 2 Keurigs doing that. So we try to be off shore power before we turn on generator.
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
I would just turn everything off, unplug shore, start gen set turn on what you turned off.

Not sure why people are so lazy
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
I do it all the time when I exercise the genny while plugged in at storage. I make sure there are no loads present. No problem.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

Yes. Should have clarified my post. No loads present when this is done.

When heading out for a trip and cooling things down then switching to Gen. We do the full power down switch then power up.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FYI Cummins Onan Literature
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Theoretically, there should be no issue, but that means your transfer has to be working properly and doesn't momentarily glitch. I had it happen once on my Diplomat and blew some circuit breakers. I try never to do it now.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, power, shore power