Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Talking Any New Satellite updates? Roof mount or portable

I was looking for suggestions about what satellite system to use and most of the u tube info was 2-3 years old.
As much as I'd like the simplicity of the Travelor mounted on my roof, (at a cost with install around $2000) I read about folks who are under trees and have a "2nd" remote unit to put out if this happens.
I have a Fleetwood 35k Bounder and have a TV outside (might use for movies only) and a bedroom and family room TV.
Main use will be the family room TV.
Of course security is always of concern about remote units left outside, hopefully a cable hook up w/ lock will prevent this.
I have DISH at home and will use their $7 a month program.

Thanks for your input!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depending on whether you're interested in a do it yourself project, you can install the Winegard Trav'ler yourself.

Winegard Trav'ler Installation - DIY

Love it! Only once have we had a problem of being by trees that precluded our being able to watch TV.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

I just picked up the Winnegard G2 portable. It self aligns and worked perfectly, once I got it to where it had a clear view of the Southern sky!

(I was directionally challenged the first time)

Bill
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 2014 Bounder 35K and the satellite dish definitely has a problem with trees. Bought a Winegard G2 portable as backup.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In one of the Camping world flyers, it shows a King tailgater and a King quest satellite antenna's, they make it sound like they can be roof mounted, or be used as a portable, now I haven't researched them much yet, but it sounds like they can be roof mounted then removed if need be? sounded like the best of both worlds to me unless you need the three TV's the traveler provides
Old 08-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
In one of the Camping world flyers, it shows a King tailgater and a King quest satellite antenna's, they make it sound like they can be roof mounted, or be used as a portable, now I haven't researched them much yet, but it sounds like they can be roof mounted then removed if need be? sounded like the best of both worlds to me unless you need the three TV's the traveler provides
I would say it's either or, not both. Winegard X1 & X2 can either be a portable or permanent roof mount.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try the technology forum. This subject is discussed a lot.

Basically my opinion depends on whether you want a dish to just watch weather if it is stormy or the news something like that. If you watch very much TV any of the Dome dishes are a waste of money. I have had the roof mount dome, the in-motion dome, a portable and now I have a traveller. The traveller does ok under the trees in comparison to a dome. It is a bigger dish and can get signals in between the branches to a limited extent. I camp a lot in Arkansas in state parks with a lot of trees. I used to carry my portable dome along in case I could not get a signal under the trees. I used it so rarely I finally wound up taking it out of the motor home and putting in my shop. Now my son uses it on his semi.

If you get a traveler and need a portable just get a dish manual mount antenna and put it on a tripod. For the rare times you will probably need it you can get an ap on your phone that will help you set it up.

If you get a dome ( that includes portable domes) everyone will be watching the same satellite. Two TV's can watch different channels on some of the domes but only if they are on the same satellite. It is a pain to switch channels to a new satellite and have to wait for it move to the new sattelite and lock in.

If you get a traveller get a hopper and joey. I know dish does not recommend it but i have been using mine for two years and there are a lot of people that have them in their MH.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

Love too but

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Depending on whether you're interested in a do it yourself project, you can install the Winegard Trav'ler yourself.

Winegard Trav'ler Installation - DIY

Love it! Only once have we had a problem of being by trees that precluded our being able to watch TV.
Love to do myself it would be simple easy had Fleetwood installed on the roof of my Rv a "satellite wire box".
I called them and they sId when you tech option is ready he should call Fleetwood to get the location on the front part of the roof. Ie home many inches from front and how many from side. X marks the spot put hole in your roof hope wires are there ...
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #9

Ok I give hopper and joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Try the technology forum. This subject is discussed a lot.

Basically my opinion depends on whether you want a dish to just watch weather if it is stormy or the news something like that. If you watch very much TV any of the Dome dishes are a waste of money. I have had the roof mount dome, the in-motion dome, a portable and now I have a traveller. The traveller does ok under the trees in comparison to a dome. It is a bigger dish and can get signals in between the branches to a limited extent. I camp a lot in Arkansas in state parks with a lot of trees. I used to carry my portable dome along in case I could not get a signal under the trees. I used it so rarely I finally wound up taking it out of the motor home and putting in my shop. Now my son uses it on his semi.

If you get a traveler and need a portable just get a dish manual mount antenna and put it on a tripod. For the rare times you will probably need it you can get an ap on your phone that will help you set it up.

If you get a dome ( that includes portable domes) everyone will be watching the same satellite. Two TV's can watch different channels on some of the domes but only if they are on the same satellite. It is a pain to switch channels to a new satellite and have to wait for it move to the new sattelite and lock in.

If you get a traveller get a hopper and joey. I know dish does not recommend it but i have been using mine for two years and there are a lot of people that have them in their MH.
A hopper and Joey? Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

There is also RF Mogul out of SLC. They have units similar to the Trav'ler, and I've thought about contacting their local dealer/installer. My coach has a Trav'ler installed by the prior owners. Problem is, it is not compatible with current DirecTV equipment, nor is it upgradable. (So it is a pre-SWM unit with the 3 horn LNB). I just was shocked that Winegard's tech said that they offered no support for our unit anymore. Period. Well, they will not be receiving any of my future dollars, period!

OTOH, I put in a couple of Apple TV's and as long as cell reception is decent, we can stream most of what we watch anyway (grandfathered unlimited Verizon data plan).
Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The RF Mogul was started by ex Moto Sat employees. We have a Moto Sat now and it's (knock on wood) working just fine although we have the 5 LNB model and only use it for regular def TV. Only problem is that it won't lock onto 110 and just keeps searching. I just wait till the TV show downloading info and shut the dish controller off. Then it's fine. but still slow to acquire a signal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
A hopper and Joey? Thanks
Your welcome.

If you install the Hopper and Joey there are some things you need to know. Most MH have two cables installed for the sattelite dish. One goes to the front entertainment center and the other goes to the bedroom entertainment center for installing a sattelite reciever in the bedroom. The Dish Traveler needs two cables for the hopper if my memory is correct. They used the orignal cable in the entertainment center and then just ran a cable across the roof and then drilled a hole down into the entertainment center for the second cable. ( The bedroom cable goes through the ceiling down the coach and is not available easily) When you hook up a hopper you have to have a solo node connector. you will hook up the two cables from the traveler to it. Then a cable from the solo node to the hopper. I used the cable from my entertainment center that carries the OTA signal back to the bedroom for connecting the joey in the bedroom to the solo node. This all sounds harder than it actually is and there are a lot of good hook up diagrams around. If you have a tv outside and your MH has the cable going to it from the entertainment center you can hook up this cable to the solo node and run a joey for your outside

When you get your hopper get the OTA module for it. When you hook up the OTA to the hopper you will be able to see over the air channels on the joeys.

Hope this helps feel free to email me if you have any questions.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #13

I have recently had the RF mogul antenna installed. Works well when I have a relatively clear view of the satellites...on the other hand, in Oregon that is not as likely as other places! I suspect it will get more use n California and Arizona this winter!
I have no experience with the portables.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 15-year-old Winegard dish on my coach and I can't seem to lock in a consistent Dish signal so I'm probably doing something wrong. So instead I take my Dish Tailgater and set it outside on the ground with the handle facing north. It does an amazing job of finding and locking into the satellites, even with trees and other campers in the area. If it does have a problem, I move it a few feet and usually problem is solved. Love that thing but still wish I could get my satellite on the roof to work.

Tags
roof, satellite