Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Any opinions on best tire monitors

Poking to purchase a tire monitoring system for my new newmar. Any suggestions on what the good ones are or which ones to stay away from? I will want to put it on all tires including tag.
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You will get LOTS of opinions.

Tire SafeGuard

Tire-SafeGuard

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Yes, lots of opinions!
PressurePro has been in business about the longest time and it works with SilverLeaf Displays.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi go oil,
TPMS technology is a commodity. They all work. From a user view, they all work a little differently. The important thing is to read about the brands you are interested in and determine which one works best for you. I have used the Pressure Pro system since 2005. It has worked as advertised. It has saved me two times. Both times were on the toad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Sounds like I better add toad as well! I had just planned to do the bus only but guess a few more monitors might be worthwhile
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Yes on the Toad. My alert was also on the toad while on the Alaska Highway and I would not have known until it either caught fire or maybe someone got my attention.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #7

I use the TST system. Very reliable and does not need an antenna or booster. I can pick up my trailer or toad signals when they are parked 100' away from the coach. Excellent service as well.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I just went through this process, thought I had done my research bought a system and found out I was not happy with it.

The system itself worked fine, it was the way it reported information I did not like.

this was the thread that developed on my request for information
Tire Pressure Monitor six pages of responses
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/tire...or-181576.html

The main reason I wanted a monitor was for the trailer that I tow with the MH. When pulling it with the pick up I can feel the way it is towing, but with the RV I cannot feel it at all. I was very concerned that I would get a flat on the trailer and never know until damage had been done.The problem I had with the display is the values do not change on the tires unless there is an abnormal change and then an alarm will sound and the display is updated with the data from that tire that set the alarm. It does monitor the current condition, but does not actively report the data to the screen This was done to save battery power. I really do not under stand that logic as the data from the sensor is transmitted every few seconds and the monitor is plugged into the RV power so no concern there on battery draw.I will be selling myInnotechRV 10 sensors, monitor and signal booster with shipping was $464.50 I will sell it for half price if interested.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

We have been very happy with our TST system. Has worked perfect since day one on all 12 tires.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used a TST system for about two years. No difficulties, no booster needed to pick up the toad sensors, and their personable response and customer service are absolutely stellar.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

After doing a bunch of reading, I concluded that there is little difference in quality or in level of performance. There are differences in features.

Some monitor tire temperature as well as pressure. Some do not.

Some have replaceable batteries. With others, you need to replace the entire sensor every few years.

Some have feed through sensors so you can add air without removing the sensor. On others, you have to remove the sensor. An alternative is a "T" valve stem. It comes from Hawks Head, but should work with any brand. http://http://www.tpms.ca/T-VALVES,-...-ADAPTERS.html.

My conclusion is to decide what features you want, and then buy on price.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #12

Some have replaceable batteries and some don't. The ones that doesn't will last a few years then you send them off for new batteries at $25.00 a piece. I think they are pretty neat my right front tire on my toad was running warmer than the rest. My brain turned on and said dummy your exhaust blows out there.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #13

Best TPMS? Like asking what are the best tires or RV - lots of opinions and personal preferences.

Just ordered one from Hawkshead. (From me to me for Xmas) The batteries are replaceable and I like their T-valves. The T-valves replace your existing valve stems and are not an extension like the Pressure Pro ones. You should be replacing rubber valve stems anyway so it's easy to put these on instead. You won't need flow-through sensors with these. The Hawkshead TPMS is available from TVforMYRV.com (a forum sponsor) except they haven't got the T-valves in yet because they are a new item but are available directly from Hawkshead. You could buy just the T-valves.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #14

TST

I recently installed the TST system with the internal sensors. It works perfectly for the front tires, but marginal for the rear duals (works almost perfectly when parked but not when rolling). I am adding the repeater and will update you when I have data on that.
My tire shop charged my about $25 per tire to install the sensors. We just broke the bead loose from one side of the tire and that gave us access to inside of the rim.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote