Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
We use nothing but a trailer. Our Escape is not four down towable and I like the Jeep on the trailer also when we take it. Much less wear and tear on the toad, and I can back around the block if needed. I can pull the trailer with the toads if needed and have never had to unhook the trailer yet. I back it in to backin spots after unloading the toad, are just leave it on in pull throughs. No mods to any toad I want to haul, and the trailer has hydraulic surge brakes that work behind any vehicle. All aluminum with tilt bed with no ramps needed. Been sitting on the trailer since Christmas, need to get it out. Usually just leave it loaded, then were ready to roll.
So where will you put the OP Harley on that trailer. Doesn't look like enough room for it to fit.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marxtr6 View Post
Newbie so be gentle. Why are you towing a jeep on a trailer?

Because he can?

Looking at the Jeep, I would say because of the tires and other modification that have been made to the Jeep.

I do the same with my Jeep because of the cost of 37" tires and of other mods too. I also like to be able to back up too.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Because he can?
That is a perfect answer
The 39" tires of mine cost $500/tire and are really not meant for highway driving. The 5.38 gear ratio I run also does not like running for long periods at highway speeds. Even if that was not the case, just don't like the abuse a vehicle takes being towed 4 down.

The extra benefit, can back up any time I wish to.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #18

we towed a car and a goldwing on a trailer called sloan quickload. The gw was loaded sideways on the front. No issues anywhere just using common sense with the length.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While I can see a lot of positives to using a trailer, there is the one negative - what to do with the trailer once you get to your destination.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
That is a perfect answer
The 39" tires of mine cost $500/tire and are really not meant for highway driving. The 5.38 gear ratio I run also does not like running for long periods at highway speeds. Even if that was not the case, just don't like the abuse a vehicle takes being towed 4 down.

The extra benefit, can back up any time I wish to.

This is my current build, I wonder what kind of looks I would get towing it 4 down with 42's.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
While I can see a lot of positives to using a trailer, there is the one negative - what to do with the trailer once you get to your destination.

Leave it hooked up?

That is what I do, but then again my total length with the trailer is 65 ft. I have been at some RV parks that do have a place to park your trailer too.
But that can be a pain?

But I do know that it can be a proplem for some with real long rigs. That is why I always call ahead to confirm space size.

And I used to be 76 ft long!
Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #22

I apologize, didn't want to highjack the op's question. With my open trailer I can load my Jeep and a motorcycle too. I have tried to have the Jeep and a friends Rhino but the Rhino hung over a little side to side.

When I had my 28’ enclosed trailer I could haul it all with no problems.
I just didn’t like being that long! A little over 75’.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I hope this is "on thread" - When we purchased our 2000 32' Winnie the seller gave us an unused Ultra-Tow car dolly. We are debating whether to use it or go four down. What are the issues with front-wheel vs. rear-wheel drive toads relative to dolly towing and four-down vs. dolly towing? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I hope this is "on thread" - When we purchased our 2000 32' Winnie the seller gave us an unused Ultra-Tow car dolly. We are debating whether to use it or go four down. What are the issues with front-wheel vs. rear-wheel drive toads relative to dolly towing and four-down vs. dolly towing? Thanks.
personally I prefer 4 wheel down towing just so you know I am opinionated. I cannot see any reason why you would use a tow dolly to pull a rear wheel drive vehicle other than cost. To tow a rear wheel drive vehicle it would have to be capable of being towed 4 wheel down so why use a tow dolly. In your case where you have a tow dolly that might be a reason to do so. It costs roughly 800.00 for a tow bar, around 800 to 1000.00 to get the car ready to be towed and then another 1500 to 2000 for an auxiliary tow system which is actually required in most states. Front wheel drive cars using a tow dolly makes sense. At that point it is expense versus convenience. It is not easy to secure a car on the tow dolly properly. Takes a while the few times I have seen it done took about thirty minutes. NOT saying it cannot be done quicker I am just saying what I saw people doing. I have not done it so I do not have any expertise at all. I can hook my flat towed car up or have it unhooked in less than 2 minutes. If I have to back up I unhook and rehook it when I am done. You cannot back up with a towed car or a tow dolly so they both have that disadvantage. A trailer has some advantages in you can back up with it. It also keeps your vehicle from wear and tear of towing. Costs probably less then 4 wheel towed to set up. Disadvantages. It takes time to hook it up. I do not know where the posters here have been parking but the ones you back in I do not have enough room to back in with a trailer still attached. If you take it off you have to have a vehicle that can tow the trailer. Here is the scenario I looked at in regards to trailer. I want to park my MH so I have to stop unload the vehicle off of the trailer. Move the Motor HOme. Back the vehicle up to the trailer and hook it up. Move the trailer to where I can park it. Park the Motor HOme. Unhook the trailer and then park the car. I thought removing two pins and two electrical connections then driving my car where I want it was a lot easier.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Enclosed trailer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Hi Jay, I just got a new 30' enclosed trailer, every place we are traveling to this summer when I asked about it said, no problem, we have parking area for trailers and over flow storage. I am not sure where they would of put it when we visited Cane Creek????? though......
We only are going to use it for week or longer trips......around the area over the summer......4 down the JK
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
We have an aluminum trailer similar to the one posted by KSCRUDE.

I'd much rather have the car on a trailer, parked there, protected by the front deflector, than have it hooked up to a dolly (which doesn't work with all vehicles) or towed flat out on its 4 wheels.

I like my cars clean and I would hate knowing it's picking up all the dirt, rocks, debris from the road behind the MH, plus putting tons of wear on the tires, drivetrain, suspension, etc.

Plus, you can use the trailer for other purposes when needed. Also, it can be moved by hand when it's unhooked because it's so light.
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Jay, I just got a new 30' enclosed trailer, every place we are traveling to this summer when I asked about it said, no problem, we have parking area for trailers and over flow storage. I am not sure where they would of put it when we visited Cane Creek????? though......
We do have a parking area for that here, you'd need a way to get it there. You would not be able to get your coach into the trailer parking area. If someone here has a vehicle that can move it you'd no doubt be offered help.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #27

We have 40 ft. dp and we haul a 20 ft. cargo trailer with our corvette inside. We have been fulltiming for over 2 years now and don't have to unhook unless there is an emergency. The cargo trailer is also our garage for all our other stuff. We always find a long pull thru as long as you call in advance. Koa always has long spots for us. Just pull in, jacks down, slides out and enjoy. Stay away from trees, they have a way of trying to hug you. Best of luck
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #28

Our 26' aluminum enclosed trailer keeps the Jeep or our Rock Crawler clean and dry on the road. It has a 5500 watt generator, air compressor, AC, work bench with tools, stereo, and an electric awning to sit or work under in the hot sun. For years, I didn't think I needed it, but the DW finally convinced me of it's value. She was right. Wouldn't want to be without it now. When we dry camp out in the Desert, we have everything we need to run the trails and fix anything we break.

Tags
class a, towing