Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Any problems towing a car trailer with a Class A

I am leaning toward buying a car trailer so we can take our Jeep and our Harley's with us on vacation. For those of you that tow a car trailer, what kind of problems have you run into with the added length? I am thinking of places we have been, and wondering where we are going to park the trailer. Most of the even larger pull through sites I have been in will not handle a large Coach and a 30' trailer(65-70'). Any info. on your experiences would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #2

We use nothing but a trailer. Our Escape is not four down towable and I like the Jeep on the trailer also when we take it. Much less wear and tear on the toad, and I can back around the block if needed. I can pull the trailer with the toads if needed and have never had to unhook the trailer yet. I back it in to backin spots after unloading the toad, are just leave it on in pull throughs. No mods to any toad I want to haul, and the trailer has hydraulic surge brakes that work behind any vehicle. All aluminum with tilt bed with no ramps needed. Been sitting on the trailer since Christmas, need to get it out. Usually just leave it loaded, then were ready to roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	57343  

Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Pic of trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	248
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	57344  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sure is a nice looking trailer Don! How long is it from the front to rear?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Sure is a nice looking trailer Don! How long is it from the front to rear?
Thanks, the trailer is 18 feet long on the load deck and 7 foot wide. About 23 foot overall length and 8-6 wide. The Escape doors just clear the fenders by one inch. But with two hand bolts the fenders will come off, but I never have to. With a low car it might help getting in and out. It has a lockable tool box in the tongue for straps and stuff. I upgrade the axles from 3500 to 4800 pounds each, and from 14 to 15 inch wheels. Enough axles to haul about any car, SUV or truck you can get on it with the torsion bar suspension. Trailer only weighs about 1400 pounds.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Home Depot resort in Morison Colorado. We were the only ones there, and had no reservations!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	256
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	57349  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

Sure there are people who pull a trailer, but a huge majority don't. We pull a dolly and sometimes it is a pain (maybe 3 out of 10 times), I can't imagine having a car trailer that I can't manhandle by myself. I'd say car dolly or tow bar if you can.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

One thing to think about is fueling the rig. Because of the length, you will not be able to get in and out of many gas stations, especially the new ones. So you will have to plan ahead and get fuel ahead of time when you see a station you can pull through easily.

The worst are the stations with the pumps leading directly into a mini-mart, impossible to make the turn between the pump island and the parked cars in front of the store.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

Nice trailer who is it made by where can it be purchased.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We pull a 24 ft race trailer 90% of the time we travel. Our total length is 70ft. You just learn to adjust your driving accordingly. Fuel stops, with a DP, are very easy using the truck stops. Call ahead to campgrounds and explain your pulling a trailer you don't want to unhook and we have never had an issue, or unhooked.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #11

I hope this is "on thread" - When we purchased our 2000 32' Winnie the seller gave us an unused Ultra-Tow car dolly. We are debating whether to use it or go four down. What are the issues with front-wheel vs. rear-wheel drive toads relative to dolly towing and four-down vs. dolly towing? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
One thing to think about is fueling the rig. Because of the length, you will not be able to get in and out of many gas stations, especially the new ones. So you will have to plan ahead and get fuel ahead of time when you see a station you can pull through easily.

The worst are the stations with the pumps leading directly into a mini-mart, impossible to make the turn between the pump island and the parked cars in front of the store.
We have never once had a problem, and in our old rig we could only use the car fill up area becasue we were gas. First couple of times it was spooky, now we whip in, fuel up, and whip out. A little though does have to go into it when you pull up, but nothing crazy. We are 67 feet.

We have only had to unhook the trailer once in 13K miles. We always just leave it hooked up to rig when we camp, even lower jacks, etc. with trailer hooked up.

This is our old setup, dont have any new pictures, but its same deal more or less.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
We have never once had a problem, and in our old rig we could only use the car fill up area becasue we were gas. First couple of times it was spooky, now we whip in, fuel up, and whip out. A little though does have to go into it when you pull up, but nothing crazy. We are 67 feet.

We have only had to unhook the trailer once in 13K miles. We always just leave it hooked up to rig when we camp, even lower jacks, etc. with trailer hooked up.

This is our old setup, dont have any new pictures, but its same deal more or less.

Newbie so be gentle. Why are you towing a jeep on a trailer?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #14

Back to the OP question if he is still around after two months. An Aluminum 18' trailer will add 1600-1800# of weight to tow, but will roll easier than your JK that has the drag of the gear train. What can your MH tow? How much tongue weight can it handle. We sometimes tow our Avalanche four down with the M&G. Sometimes we take our rock crawler on an open trailer and sometimes in our 26' enclosed trailer. All of them have their place. On long hauls, the enclosed trailer is the best for us. Our coach can handle the extra 12,000# load and 1500# tongue weight, but that isn't an option for you. An Aluminum trailer would be a good choice for you if it's within the capacity of your MH. It's easy to back out of a bad situation or just maneuver into a tight spot, plus no wear and tear on your Jeep. We are 75' long with the big trailer and have never had a problem getting fuel or finding a campground.

Tags
class a, towing