Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #29

NEW owners of a 2000 Aerbus

Oh man, do we ever have questions! We just purchased our future "new" home. First, is there an operators manual? We got an "owners manual," but all that has is all the technical stuff that we will probably NEVER deal with. What we need is the PRACTICAL stuff like hooking up this and starting that. As I said, we are BRAND new to this and need LOTS of help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spiritbears View Post
Oh man, do we ever have questions! We just purchased our future "new" home. First, is there an operators manual? We got an "owners manual," but all that has is all the technical stuff that we will probably NEVER deal with. What we need is the PRACTICAL stuff like hooking up this and starting that. As I said, we are BRAND new to this and need LOTS of help!
First of all, no, there is no Operator's Manual. Secondly, never say NEVER! You'll be poring through the Owner's Manual sooner than you think if you're anything like the rest of us! If you're talking about starting something, just press the 'ON' button and watch it go. Just don't turn on the water heater without water in it and don't run the refrigerator without being level. These are some things you might learn from reading the Owner's Manual.

If you're talking about hooking up a car or a DVD, you might have to do more research on your own.

rsalhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #31

94 28' Aerbus

Hey guys,
After initial summer trip, which included an transmission breakdown (twice), second time cost me an on the road rebuild, $3000. I can't take anymore!
Does anyone have experience like this? Installed a trans temp gauge and on return trip still getting to hot.....am told to install new, larger cooler for trans. Will that solve problem? I can't spend more money and not be assured trans will not break down.
Also, after owning a 23' Winnebago, this coach handles and performs like a beast or dinosaur. Can't go up hills over 35 mph, maybe 40 at lower elevations, but @ 5 pr 6 thousand feet, it's a slow go and then the tranny heats up too. Accelerates like a slug.
Is this normal for a 16000 lb, 454 Ford coach?
Did I make a mistake buying this?
Omar
Old 10-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #32

We just bought our 2000 Aerbus and are starting our full-timing adventure. We love our new home, but are finding it difficult to find information about daily operations. Being first timers, we need basic day to day information and that "owner's manual" is useless. Is there a place where we can find "if this happens, then do this? There are SO many things that we DON'T know and we hit the road on Wednesday heading for Oregon. Excited, but it feels like "on a wing and a prayer." ;-)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spiritbears View Post
We just bought our 2000 Aerbus and are starting our full-timing adventure. We love our new home, but are finding it difficult to find information about daily operations. Being first timers, we need basic day to day information and that "owner's manual" is useless. Is there a place where we can find "if this happens, then do this? There are SO many things that we DON'T know and we hit the road on Wednesday heading for Oregon. Excited, but it feels like "on a wing and a prayer." ;-)
First, congratulations on your "new to you" coach. In our shopping, we looked at a couple of Rexhall's and thought they were quality units.

More important than an "owner's manual" are the specific manuals on the appliances and subsystems. Our used coach came with a complete set of these and we will surely pass them to the next owner when we trade up (they stay in the coach, anyway).

If you spend a good bit of time searching and exploring these forums, you will glean much of the information you seek about day-to-day operations. Do a search on whatever topic is on your mind, and you are likely to find plenty of advice.

Also, introduce yourself and talk to other RV'ers in the places where you stay. All of us were beginners once, and most of us learned at least some of our lessons in the "school of hard knocks." Most are more than willing to offer advice and share knowledge.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Hey guys,
After initial summer trip, which included an transmission breakdown (twice), second time cost me an on the road rebuild, $3000. I can't take anymore!
Does anyone have experience like this? Installed a trans temp gauge and on return trip still getting to hot.....am told to install new, larger cooler for trans. Will that solve problem? I can't spend more money and not be assured trans will not break down.
Also, after owning a 23' Winnebago, this coach handles and performs like a beast or dinosaur. Can't go up hills over 35 mph, maybe 40 at lower elevations, but @ 5 pr 6 thousand feet, it's a slow go and then the tranny heats up too. Accelerates like a slug.
Is this normal for a 16000 lb, 454 Ford coach?
Did I make a mistake buying this?
Omar

Hi - Post a little bit more about the year. And please confirm if it is a GM P series chassis (454 engine in the older models) or Ford F53 Chassis, which would have the 460 engine.)

Some thoughts:

On cooling of transmissions. A change to Transyn would help protect the transmission on higher temp running. And nothing wrong with adding a larger transmission cooling radiator. (I've seen some with added electric fans, when space constraint did not allow an adequate size cooling radiator with adequate air flow.)

On handling. Do the basics first if you have not done so yet, from easiest and lowest costs up:
-Four corner weight, and set tire PSI per MFG Tire Charts
-Inspect all bushings, they do loosen up as they get older. Replacement with urethane is a good thing to consider.
-Front end alignment. And if a F53, some years do a bit better with a bit more toe in on the front end for straighter tracking. (Once you have the actual chassis, visit the IRV2 forum for that chassis and post a question on how to improve handling.)
-Inspect and replace shocks if not in good shape. If F53, many have found the Koni FSD's help on a less jarring front end ride. Rears I'd use Koni Adjustables, as it gives you the option to change the firmness if needed.
(But at 16K lbs chassis, good shocks should be able handle the load.)
-I like front steering stabilizers as a safety edge in case of a front tire blow out. The bonus, is they help in tracking too. Safety-T-Plus worked well for us on our F53. But others exists.)

When looking, or having your chassis looked over, confirm that you have front and rear sway bars. Some F53's came without both of them at the request of the coach builder.

Do maintenance items all at one time, like replacing bad shocks, bushings, setting tire PSI. If they don't make a difference, then do other changes one at a time (helps spread the costs out too!), so that you can 'stop' when you get to where you like the handling.

Henderson's Lineup has a good selection of products, and if you are in the area, they'll go do a test drive and give you a report card and options to improve handling. If not in that area, once you have finished any maintenance of warn parts, a call to them might be worth doing to get ideas of products available for your specific chassis. Never hurts to talk!

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #35

First trip out in our 2000 Aerbus and "Houston, we have a problem." Traveling down the road, we were flagged down because the awning over the slide-out was coming loose. We THEN discovered that there were LOCKS on that awning also! We got them locked, and then when we stopped for the night, I unlocked them and started to put out the room. The awning ripped most of the way across. I guess I didn't have them unlocked afterall. We can see now that it is nearly rotted through, but NOW what do we do??? Do we need to have it replaced ASAP or can we wait a while???? What happens if we can't get it repaired right away?

Tags
aerbus, class a, full time, newbies, rexhall