Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

Any suggestions on building RV curb ramps...

My husband put in RV parking on the side of our house. Fits our new huge Class A RV - the only problem is we have to go up the curb with the RV to get to where our RV parking is. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what type of ramps did you build... photos???

Thank you again for everyone's great ideas/suggestions...
AussieFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #2

One possibility is get 2ea 4x6's our 4x8's cut in 36' length then have them cut lengthwise at a 45 or 30 degree angle which should give you a nice solid ramp to run your coach up to curb height. Our driveway is rather steep so I hav3e to lay out several 4x6's from the curb out to the street to keep the tank protector skids from digging into the street surface. A bit of a pain, but it works.

Good Luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In lieu of boards and planks, Some friends place a large diameter pipe in the gutter (for water drain) and fill in the gutter covering the pipe with concrete sloped to a 45-65 degree angle to drive vehicles up and over. A quick and easy permanent fix
Years ago my father (a contractor) and I just tore out a section of curb and gutter on a Friday, did some forms, and poured a concrete drive entrance on Saturday.
Now a days you need a permit, licensed contractors and such.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #4

I assume ...

I assume that you are looking for "portable" ramps to get over the curb.

The few times that I have had to drive vehicles up over a 6" curb I used 2 foot lengths of large to smaller construction lumber under both the right and left wheel .... next to the curb 4x6, after that 2x8. These blockw will get your wheels up over the curb easily ...

However, generally with a motorhome, because they have a long overhang behind the back wheels, the bigger problem is the hitch "digging in" before the wheels get to the gutter ... that generally takes additional engineering.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

We had to do the same thing as Jim. We had to go and get two 2x10x10 and made them into 2x10x6 and 2x10x4. We put the 2x10x4 under the 2x10x6 for better support and the boards not breaking in half because of the weight. We lay them from the road to the driveway. We had a hard time with our skids scraping the concrete. We were trying to find somekind of blow up speed bump but had no luck. My husband says he has seem them but where? Who knows?
craziecritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #6

If you have been driving over the curb you can be damaging your sidewalls and may suffer a blowout...be very careful when near curbs....RV tires dont like them at all
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #7

Here is a link to some ramps that may work, depending on the curb. They are a little salty but work just fine. Our curb is similar and our driveway is inclined on one side more than the other, therefore we only needed one of the ramps (skids hit on only one side). They don't look too bad and can stay at the curb. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #8

You've got a pretty substantial investment in the RV....why not spend the money and have the curb removed, and have a "driveway curb" installed, as was mentioned. You may have to do a bit of landscaping and such, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Of course, the easy thing, would be to just get some 2X8 planks, and cut and stack them to make a ramp at the curb. Depending on how your yard slopes, that may be all you need. Stack two, then lay one in front of those. To keep things from moving, screw a piece of plywood under both. The tires should have no problem going up the 2" sections....and up on to the curb.

I am assuming that you aren't parking the RV on the same side of the house, as the driveway, or you would be just driving off the driveway to the side of the house (which is what I do).

Another issue that may or may not come into play......city ordinances. We had to put up a fence, to hide the RV. Granted, you can still see the top of it, but the money invested in the 8' fence was well worth the $100 tickets that the neighbors had gotten.

PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also have a curb to back over to park our MH.
Thought about having the curb modified like a driveway but a utility vault prevents this.
This is what Im using and it works great.
Got them at the local RV store.
Two can be connected for wider vehicles.
http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/...rce=googlebase
Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
We also have a curb to back over to park our MH.
Thought about having the curb modified like a driveway but a utility vault prevents this.
This is what Im using and it works great.
Got them at the local RV store.
Two can be connected for wider vehicles.
http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/...rce=googlebase
Hope this helps.
Thank you. We did find these also. My husband ended up building the ramp out of wood - in a step type format to graduate up to the height of the curb. We haven't tried it out yet but hoping it will work. Thank you everyone for your great ideas and suggestions! We just love this forum.
AussieFamily is offline   Reply With Quote