Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Any thoughts on these two rigs?

We are checking out a 1998 safari serengeti Xi for 44,995. DP, 48,266 miles. Hopefully we can get them down to $40,000. This is from Cordelia RV center Fairfield CA. We are also interested in a 2002 rexall roseair, 2/slide, gas for $37,495. 25,000 miles. Any suggestions on what to look for in these two choices, pros/cons you can offer would be appreciated!
nancie_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, Those are two totally different coaches. Besides the price they couldn't be farther apart. I do know and you also know a diesel will probably last longer but the maintence will be much higher. Also seems a bit much on overall mileage. Remember to put 40k+ miles on that is alot of RV miles.not so much for the engine but all that goes with it, the house portion mostly. Be sure to check all systems.....twice. Now the gasser... does it have the workhorse or ford motor? Ford redesigned their v10 a few years back and it is a well built engine. I'm not sure about the 02' but I still believe it to be a adequate motor. The workhorse is a little bigger and more powerful.
The main thing I would be looking at would be floorplan. Then if and when I found that, if you like the price and have done your research. I wish you the best of luck. By all means do your research...they will be there when you are ready.
I probably wasen't much help on your question, but wish you the best in your search. Oh, by the way don't limit yourself to only your local area. Many RV dealers across the nation will foot the travel bill if you buy from them. Just a thought.
Rusty
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Which Serengeti model? One slide or none? 37 feet or 40? There is quite a price spread among them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #4

The Safari is about 10k overpriced. Folks typically don't understand NADA or KBB. The key to PROPERLY using NADA/KBB is to 1st know what was Standard Equipment (and included in the base price/value of the coach when new) and what was Optional Equipment. The Safari's came equipped quite well with very few optional equipment add on's. NADA/KBB Motorhome guides are NOT based upon any actual sales data but rather a straight line depreciating method from the original new sales sticker. To get further info and possibly insights to Safari's, go to & join either or both of the Yahoo Safari websites ( Yahoo! Groups and Yahoo! Groups). To get a very useful and accurate view of the Motorhome actual original listing prices, any reductions of listing prices, and most important, actual selling price and time on the market, go to the PPL website. They are the largest consignment RV dealer in the nation and maintain that info on asking vs selling prices.

By the way, both Safari websites have a downloadable Motorhome Checklist that is one of the best. We used it in rejecting 10 coaches before buying our 1997 M-4040 Safari Serengeti which we really like.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are sometimes nice to me at that dealership, but have no service facilities I have ever seen. They also never have cleaned a coach when I have stepped in it to hide pet or smoke smells. I appreciate what they are, courteous. But I think I am on my own after a sale.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
By the by, one guy, I don't think at Cordelia, told me they never use NADA prices cause they are lower than KBB.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have friends with a mid 90's Serengeti. It has an 8.3 ISC and an Allison 3000 with well over 200k on it...and still going strong.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

We are checking out a 1998 safari serengeti Xi for 44,995. DP, 48,266 miles. Hopefully we can get them down to $40,000. This is from Cordelia RV center Fairfield CA. We are also interested in a 2002 rexall roseair, 2/slide, gas for $37,495. 25,000 miles. Any suggestions on what to look for in these two choices, pros/cons you can offer would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

The safari looks nice. I personally would go for the DP after having a couple gassers.

http://www.cordeliarv.com/inventory/...e-Fairfield-CA

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Hi-I don't have any experience with a DP MH but I would think your choice would depend upon what your plans are for the motorhome as well as long term budget. If you are going to travel and put a lot of miles, go over mountain passes, then the DP might be a better choice. If your plans are somewhat the opposite, then the Rexhall gas is the way to go. We have a Rexhall gas and absolutely love it. Couldn't be happier with everything about it and zero problems. We'd buy another one in a heartbeat. In our case, We don't travel much and put a lot of miles on it so the gas is much more economical to own, drive, and definitely maintain. My understanding is that the diesels are expensive to own and maintain but depends on your budget. In both motor homes, they seem to be priced on the high end, at least for what I see in Colorado. I would think that with either, you should be able to negotiate several thousand off. Good luck with your purchase and I hope it works out well for you!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Both should be good motor homes.

Air brakes, Exhaust brake, Spring Emergency brake are superior on a DP.

Does the Safari have air brakes and air suspension? Some had the Torsilastic suspension.

DP is much quieter heading up to Tahoe from Sacramento.

Have had two friends who have ditched their gas MH because too noisy or not enough torque. One had a very nice Rexhall, the other a great Winnie Adventurer.

We opted for the DP because of mountain grades around here in Sacramento 13 years ago. Never regretted the decision.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We are checking out a 1998 safari serengeti Xi for 44,995. DP, 48,266 miles. Hopefully we can get them down to $40,000. This is from Cordelia RV center Fairfield CA. We are also interested in a 2002 rexall roseair, 2/slide, gas for $37,495. 25,000 miles. Any suggestions on what to look for in these two choices, pros/cons you can offer would be appreciated!
The safari looks nice. I personally would go for the DP after having a couple gassers.

1999 Safari Serengeti M-3706 Class A Diesel Pusher Motorhome - Cordelia RV Center | Inventory

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was odd you were checking out the same rv's as the original poster, then I realized it was quoted wrong when you posted.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

We have a 96 getti 40' and it has no slides but they way its laid out there is plenty of room we just love it and quality built cabinets and interior, really like it serves us well. That is the most important thing is will it do what you want to do and go with it, Good Luck.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #13

The Safari sounds expensive to me, but I don't have a clue regarding your local market. In my experience, I would think something in the (low?) 30's would be closer.

I don't use those books. List price means nothing. Look at what comparable coaches are actually selling for. Look at sold prices on Ebay, and what similar coaches are going for at places like PPL (and similar). Last, coaches this age (or over 10 years old in general) are very difficult for most people to finance. This means most buyers will be paying cash - and for that reason, the number of people actually qualified to buy a coach like this are limited - which is why coaches this age can be such a huge value if carefully chosen. Point being, the dealers are not going to be getting a lot of calls on a coach like this one. Carefully consider your offer before giving it. You don't want to make one that you'll be sorry for later.

Coaches this age depend on condition for value, and what you'll likely find is that those conditions are all over the ball park. Some this age can have one foot in the bone yard, others can be like new. Be very careful until you've had your hands on it in person.

BTW- I would add that 48k on a '98 would be considered low mileage by many. Twice that (or more) would be closer to what I might expect. Further, I would not be shy of that kind of mileage (100K) if looking at a DP purchase.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You are correct about the NADA guide.
People tend to over price and when you question them the they get very defensive.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rexhall