Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Any thoughts on this 2000 Damon Challenger 335

Mobile 2000 DAMON 335

Looking at this rig and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. They won't budge from the 18,750 but will fix everything I found (idle arm bad and front end shimmys, tires need replaced, rear jacks don't go down, coach batteries need replaced, A/C dash not working, replace awnings and change all fluids and filter) and put new tires on. Everything will work like it should if I buy it and when I do my finale checks something is wrong they will fix. I was out there two hours and drove it. We like the floor plan and the storage it has. 30 day 50/50 warranty.

Any one have one like this and know of any thing I should extra look at? It's has a Workhorse chassis and vortec motor.

Thanks,
Jen
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #2

Sounds like they are going to be doing more than the asking price worth of work. Much better than lowering the price, even to zero. We have a current Challenger, and love it, especially the floorplan.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

While we were looking at it again before making a decision, someone who was looking at it before came back and said they wanted to buy it. The salemen said we need to move on it now if we wanted it. I decided to go home and think about it, didn't want to be pressured into anything. So if I still want it I will see if its there Monday, but I have a Dutch Star I really want to look at anyway. So if the Damon is sold I will keep looking.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dutch Star is a better built coach than a Damon. Just my humble opinion.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smart not to jump on it - probably a salesman ploy.
That is a Workhorse P-32 chassis with the Chevy 454 L29 engine and 4L80 Hydromatic transmission - a proven solid performer (I have one).

If it is still there and you decide to go for it, NADA has it listed as average retail at $15,150. With all those issues, I'd offer $13,500, print the NADA listing with your contact info and offer on it, and walk away.
2000 Damon Corporation Challenger Series M-310-Vortec Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

We started looking for a "for now" rig to go to games and 2 week trips. So we were looking to only spend 15k and when we retire in 3 years get out full time RVing Dutch Star. But I keep looking at DP and sometimes want to just get it now. I had asked for advice about getting one now vs waiting in the General Discussion page and got lots of great advice. Mostly do it now, if its a Dutch Star or something else we need to get out there now and have fun.

The chassis and power train look well taken care of. I couldn't see any problem areas other then the bad idler arm, easy to fix. With everything I found I offered 15k as is and I fix it. I'm a diesel mechanic and every thing would be easy to fix to us. But they said no quick. I mentioned to them that they were over NADA and showed them on my phone. They sad internet NADA is a joke and not accurate. The use NADA books they pay for and go by that.

So I'm in no hurry and if it still there I might offer something again. But I think 18,750 is high.

At least I learned about a different chassis and motor combo. I have had a Class a with the Ford 460 motor and F53 chassis. Most I look at have the Ford platform but I liked what I saw on the Workhorse chassie as far as ease of area to work on it.

One thing that ticked me off was when I was leaving to think about it I was trying to give the salesmen my number. He said he didn't need it the offer will not change. I was giving him my number to call me if he gets something else in that I might be interested in, but he cut me off before I could finish and said he didn't need it.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

Sounds like the salesman has the IQ of most used car salesmen.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There really isn't much of a market now, so I think he is bluffing.
If you got this and plan to re-sell in a couple years you are probably going to deal in a hit or miss market. If fuel $$ is up, not many will be buying a 20 year old MH.

So my humble opinion, if the DP is your true goal - get it now, fix it up while you have a job and income, and then you will know what you have prior to hitting the road FT.

FYI - I went thru this 5 years ago and bought my 2000 Allegro to 'lean' prior to getting a DP. I ended up liking it so much I just kept it and the DP plan was cancelled (and still plan to keep it).

P.S. If you do decide to look at the Damon again, pull a front and back brake bleed screw and look for rust. The Calipers tend to corrode after 10 to 15 years if the brake fluid isn't changed often.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #9

Call his bluff, if he has your # in a week or so he will call you!!!! I can't see them fixing everything you mentioned for that kind of money. If he doesn't call back nothing lost. Good luck in your shopping.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

Walk away from this dealership, the fact that he didn't want your phone number and acting like a snob. Don't give your hard earned money to them. There are plenty of units out there and better wait. I was like you initially looking for a "for now" rv. Some thing cheap then move up later. Well I remember our boating days it is hard to "settle" on some things and actually cost much more to buy something now and to get a bigger better one later, plus life is funny about plans.
I'm in my early 50 and walked away on a few coaches.
Imagine buying this challenger and something has gone wrong and for some reason you always get the salesperson voicemail.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This sounds very fishy to me. There is so much wrong here that I can't see how they will replace all that stuff and make repairs and make any money. I'd walk away from this one. JMHO.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #12

That one is off the list, after doing some research and getting good info here, we are continuing the search elsewhere.

Almost everything we have looked at has problems. I don't understand why the dealers don't fix and clean before they show it. It would look so much better to us.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found dealing with private owners very rewarding while the dealers were just trying to play the game of pick pocket. I learned something new talking to each one, met some real nice people, and you are doing them a favor considering their RV - they are happy to sell, you to buy.

Tags
damon