Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 AM   #1

Any thoughts on this rare brand

I have seen two Featherlite Vogue 5000's on the internet. They look to be rather nice coaches. But info on them is sparse.

In particular: 1999 Featherlite Coaches Vogue 5000, Cordova TN - - RVtrader.com

Then of course their is this as well: 1998 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Lxi , Grants Pass OR - - RVtrader.com

1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Both of those Coaches were King of the Hill in the 90's and both are priced very reasonable. Make sure each come with the Manuals,
Me I like the Featerlite- Featherlite is still in Business as they Make Race Trailers- you might want to give them a call to pursue info.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

It doesn't look like the Featherlite has a slide, which is a minus. $88k can buy you a lot of coach. Not sure a 16 year old coach with no slide is worth it IMO. I didn't look it up on NADA though.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Average retail on NADA is $65k.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #5

As a newbie to coaches (and RV's) I'm rather of a neutral position on slides. While nice they seem to be a source of problems (seals, squeaks and the like) Having rented a TT some years ago and also just having looked at a 1999 Monaco (which sold) Even a coach without a slide seemed cavernous.

I also see a pattern of nearly every coach seemingly to be over priced by 25-30% from book values. Although I have had a hard time trying to check the boxes on the NADA site as to many adverts on RV trader seem to expound endlessly about TV's, stereos. I wish they were required to post a picture of the build sheet.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

As mentioned, both were top of the line coaches, and both had reputations for quality build.

They have two different interior styles, so your personal likes would kick int.

Looks like the Wanderlodge is for sale by owner? If so, that could be a positive, and a negative:
-Positive if they've had it along time, and have the full documentation of care and feeding. Plus, if the owner will open up with you on any deferred maintenance items, or known problems. (I've had very frank conversations with owners of coaches, and found a few that were very upfront on 'here is what is needed', and 'if I were to keep this longer, I would...'.)

-Negative, in that sometimes a private owner is not realistic in the pricing of their coach.

On pricing of a coach, and I'm talking pricing from the Buyer's view point. IMO, I would rather pay on the top end, or even up some, on a well maintained and cared for coach. As long as it met my needs, and was what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to buying a coach with four year old batteries and tires, as long as the owner is realistic in the pricing and it reflects that these are both very well into their expected life cycle.

Slide, or non slide? Again, personal decision that only you can decide. I will say that I would take a higher quality non slide coach, over a newer lesser quality coach with slides. But, if you are looking for a coach for two people, and possibly a traveling four legged creature, and for possibly more then just a few weeks travel per year. A non slide coach can begin to feel pretty snug after a few 'rain day's' or 'getting over a flu' day.

More slides, mean more penetrations, and usually a bit weaker structure, and more weight for slide equipment, and less access to basement storage, and if the slides include a kitchen or bathroom or both - you then have moving plumbing, and some kitchen slides even include the refrigerator (problematic if it is a propane/electric, as air flow cooling can be compromised).

Only a Buyer can decide how many, and what kind, of slide configuration to get. No matter what that decision is, a check for the specific model and year of coach you are looking at with the Owner's Group, can yield any 'oh that was a bad year, stay away from it' feedback. But generally, again IMO, the higher end coaches, had very well engineered and structurally solid built slides. We personally wanted only two driver's side slides, with non kitchen in the slide (another benefit of non slide kitchens, is the cabinets go alway the way to the ceiling, slides kitchens lose between 4-6" of upper cabinet space).

But again, it is what is important to you.

Between these two coaches, I'm a big fan of Wanderlodge's in general, and like the BIG DETROIT ENGINE. The Vogue maybe exactly your style, and that is OK. And not dinging the CAT in the Vogue, just nor real familiar with that specific CAT engine.

Happy hunting!
Smitty
Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
That particular Featherlite Vogue looks very clean and if it has been well-maintained --which I have to believe it has-- I think it represents a very good value ...look at how clean that CAT engine, generator, etc. appear in those photos. All the picutres seem to portray an extremely clean and well-cared for coach.

Featherlite is still in business and I believe is still one of the "Kings of the Hill" as they are still making luxury coaches at their Suffolk VA facility. For anybody looking for a brand new luxury coach in the 2-million dollar range, Featherlite is still one of the elite manufacturers.

Video of Factory Tour

I don't believe they are associated with Iowa-based Featherlite Trailer that makes aluminum racing trailers ...but I could be wrong.

edit: Interesting information that I just ran across ...the Featherlite Vogue was only produced in 1999 in Okalahoma. Featherlite started as the Vogue in Los Angeles, then sold to Mitchell Motors, and then became Featherlite in 1998. Being so rare is intriguing in itself and may make the purchase even more interesting. CLICK
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

The featherlite trailer company does own the coach company. Press release from a 2006 FTC merger with universal trailer.

About Featherlite
With more than 75 percent of its business in the leisure, recreation and entertainment categories, Featherlite®, Inc. has highly diversified product lines offering hundreds of standard model and custom-designed aluminum specialty trailers, specialized transporters, mobile marketing trailers and luxury motorcoaches.

I owned a 2001 Kenworth W900 that had the Cat 3406 500HP engine mated to a 15 speed transmission. It never gave me any issues. I always did the oil changes on time and also had an oil analysis done at all oil changes. I found that preventative maintenance was ALWAYS cheaper than a repair.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
The featherlite trailer company does own the coach company. Press release from a 2006 FTC merger with universal trailer.

About Featherlite
With more than 75 percent of its business in the leisure, recreation and entertainment categories, Featherlite®, Inc. has highly diversified product lines offering hundreds of standard model and custom-designed aluminum specialty trailers, specialized transporters, mobile marketing trailers and luxury motorcoaches.

I owned a 2001 Kenworth W900 that had the Cat 3406 500HP engine mated to a 15 speed transmission. It never gave me any issues. I always did the oil changes on time and also had an oil analysis done at all oil changes. I found that preventative maintenance was ALWAYS cheaper than a repair.
Oh okay, thanks, that's good to know.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Advantage to the BlueBird (I know, I'm biased) is that there is an AWESOME support site at Wanderlodge Owners Group full of do-it-yourselfers that can help with any problem you encounter.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post

About Featherlite

Strange but contradictory to what is being said by the press release cited above, when I mentioned to a friend that I just found out on the iRV2 forum that Featherlite Trailers and Featherlite Coach are still the same company, he said "that doesn't sound right ...I thought they separated years ago."

So he emailed Featherlite Trailers and asked. They responded by saying that prior to 2006 both companies were owned by the same family. However, that's no longer the case. They are now owned and run separately. Featherlite Trailers in Iowa, the one that makes racing, horse, and other lightweight aluminum trailers, is owned by Universal Trailer Corporation and now has no current connection to Featherlite Coach in Virginia.

Who knows? *shrugs shoulders*
Old 09-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the clarification theroc. I swear with all the lawyer speak in such documents. They could have called me & my mother "arselochs" (German if you want it translated) And we would have probably come away thinking "what nice folks"