Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Anybody heard of Samson GL83 tires

245/70R19.5 truck tire 16 ply GL83 GL283 24570195 A/P - eBay (item 190463689184 end time Dec-02-10 03:04:48 PST)

Found these on ebay, 245/70/19.5. $169 plus shipping, which is close enough that I could just pick them up and save on shipping costs. That would be just over $1000 for a set of 6. Samson / Advance GL83. Looks similar to the goodyear 670 Rv that I have on my RV now. I don't plan on running out and buying a set of off brands, just curious. Anybody running this tire? How sweet it would be if they were as good as the name brands. Anyone got these, and if so, how many miles? Thanks for any input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You will not find me putting a Chinese tire on a motor home. Have the Chinese complied with any of our safety standards in toys or paint or anything else.

Try these:
Samson tires
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Sampson tires -- any info?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

I agree with Mike.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

It would be nice to get six new tires for about $1,000 but I too agree with Mike. So far about everything I've seen from China can stay there.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's all about our budgets these days and what we can afford. That being said, your also talking about the lives of those on board if a blow out occurs. if you have to get the less expensive tires to keep camping, then just beware that if a blow out occurs, as always you'll need to think quick and keep things under control.

Drive safe at 55mph and less chance of having to deal with factors going 65 or more. Just be careful, get what you can afford in these tough times, but realize the issues if you do. We're not all made of money, but we enjoy the outdoors.

Safe RVing is always the way to go.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #6

Many talk about safety standards not being applied to Chinese made tires. What honest safety standards are being followed or applied to anything made in USA ?

If there are safety standards in this county why are virtually all class A motor homes close to or overweight when they leave the factory ?

Allen
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) View Post
It's all about our budgets these days and what we can afford. That being said, your also talking about the lives of those on board if a blow out occurs. if you have to get the less expensive tires to keep camping, then just beware that if a blow out occurs, as always you'll need to think quick and keep things under control.

Drive safe at 55mph and less chance of having to deal with factors going 65 or more. Just be careful, get what you can afford in these tough times, but realize the issues if you do. We're not all made of money, but we enjoy the outdoors.

Safe RVing is always the way to go.
Nicely put, and my opinion is similar to what you guys are saying on this subject. I am guilty of quanity or quality sometimes and tires is probably not a good place for that, but with that said, I am not sure the difference in quality is that great anymore. I have nothing to really base that comment on, just thinking along with what 'HENZEN9' posted , so I turn to you guys to see what anyone has experienced. I read about name brand tires having issues also. Are most of the tire issues caused by lack of maintenance and abuse?
Maintaining some sort of control and nobody getting hurt in a blow out is number 1 and thinking about all the body damage that can be done from a tread seperation could make me sick.
My Goodyear 670's only have 16,000 miles on them and they show no visible signs of cracking, but they are 10 years old and I know I am really pushing it. Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwards View Post
Nicely put, and my opinion is similar to what you guys are saying on this subject. I am guilty of quanity or quality sometimes and tires is probably not a good place for that, but with that said, I am not sure the difference in quality is that great anymore. I have nothing to really base that comment on, just thinking along with what 'HENZEN9' posted , so I turn to you guys to see what anyone has experienced. I read about name brand tires having issues also. Are most of the tire issues caused by lack of maintenance and abuse?
Maintaining some sort of control and nobody getting hurt in a blow out is number 1 and thinking about all the body damage that can be done from a tread seperation could make me sick.
My Goodyear 670's only have 16,000 miles on them and they show no visible signs of cracking, but they are 10 years old and I know I am really pushing it. Thanks,

Bill
I should add that preventing a blow out with good tires and maintenance in the first place is most important.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
From what found, its an Israeli tire, not Chinese.

AW SAMSON TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY, LTD. TEL AVIV ISRAEL
http://www.harriger.com/tire4.htm