Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Anybody running headers on their 460?

We are new to this forum. Just bought a 1997 Holiday Rambler 32 on the Ford F53 frame.

This RV has an exhaust leak between the monifold and the block. Pretty common I'm reading on these 460's motors. Dealer wants $1,600 to replace both manifold gaskets, bolts, and donuts gaskets.

For that price I was thinking I would just install a set of header. Has anybody used the Gibson Headers? Says they are HTC (polished) Ceramic-metallic coated mild steel headers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinFamily View Post
We are new to this forum. Just bought a 1997 Holiday Rambler 32 on the Ford F53 frame.

This RV has an exhaust leak between the monifold and the block. Pretty common I'm reading on these 460's motors. Dealer wants $1,600 to replace both manifold gaskets, bolts, and donuts gaskets.

For that price I was thinking I would just install a set of header. Has anybody used the Gibson Headers? Says they are HTC (polished) Ceramic-metallic coated mild steel headers.
We had the same problem with our old Winnebago with a 454, it is a very common problem with hot running motor, what is not common is the price there asking to fix it, we paid half this price and it include the machining the gasket and new bolts of course. I would get a second opinion . Lots of money for a few hours work !!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #3

I have the same chassis and have been very interested in doing this upgrade. I have read many posts of people being very pleased with this upgrade. My exhaust is currently in good working order or I would defiantly be looking at doing this.

I would go to an exhaust shop that has the capacity to work on a class A and not go to an RV dealer for this work. I have also read that some shops can fabricate headers that are just as effective at a fraction of the price. I have had exhaust work done on other passenger vehicles and always thought it was the best bang for your buck for improved performance.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it and said it better. I would check around this isn't a big deal it is done all the time.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Headers on engines

FYI Headers have been used in the Hot Rod Car area many years and I have two Small block Chevrolet motors at this time and I am here to tell you header gasket leaks are an ongoing problem constantly. Both engines have aluminum heads one has standard exhaust under the car the other side pipes. Every ride stsrts or finishes with retightning header bolts. I've tryed copper gaskets, RTV and still have leake several times a year. I have been toold if you run headers there will be leaks. For what it is worth
lyledavid
Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it and said it better. I would check around this isn't a big deal it is done all the time.
Cost me $426.00 to do one side and they had problems with one rusted bolt that broke into the engine block and that include machining, no sense changing the gasket without machining the manifold , so $1,600 is a lot of money , !!!!! only my opinion
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

I had the Banks Exhaust System put on my 454 about 8 years ago . I have never had a leak or gasket problems. Banks is very well known for the Quality of their products and back all their products with documentation from Dynos along with lifetime warranty. If your looking for a cheap fix they aren't for you... if you are looking power, fit, durability, warranty etc then take a look at Banks. ( I also have their Headers and Exhaust on my TJ Wrangler)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exhaust on 460

I, too, had an RV on the Ford F53 460 V-8 chassis. Installed full Banks PowerPack w/Trans Command and got great increase in power and engine ran lots cooler.

No increase in MPG, but I did not expect that. Banks is all S/S and headers are 5/8" thick, not 3/8" as most others.

Around $3400, but I think well worth it!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
I, too, had an RV on the Ford F53 460 V-8 chassis. Installed full Banks PowerPack w/Trans Command and got great increase in power and engine ran lots cooler.

No increase in MPG, but I did not expect that. Banks is all S/S and headers are 5/8" thick, not 3/8" as most others.

Around $3400, but I think well worth it!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
$3,400.00 for fixing a manifold leak on a 1997 MH listed less then $11,000.00 !!!!! Not sure Considering my original manifold lasted 90,000 milles
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Hedman Elite coated headers an full Flowmaster exhaust designed specifically for the F53/460. Everything is emissions certified and pretty much a bolt on installation. Cost was just over $1000.
The big gotcha can be if you have issues removing the old manifold bolts. I was lucky and they all came out in one piece. If yours bust off - major headache.
With stock manifolds and exhaust, my motorhome would barely get out of its own way. Now it moves out quite smartly for an 18K+ lbs coach.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Lots of posts here about installing headers, especially Banks. I did it on my '96 460 motor and never regretted it. They go on sale at different times of the year and if you can do the install yourself you'll save lots of money. It's a no-brainer IMHO compared to what you'd pay to the dealer for a stock repair.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Well after fighting with broken bolts and cracked manifolds on my 460 I am in the process of installing a full Banks Powerpack system. I have the exhaust on from the front muffler back and the headers and y pipe will be here tomorrow. I had installed the transmission control module and the stinger system from the front muffler back as well as the intake system already and was so impressed with the quality and fit and finish of the Banks system as well as the very much improved design for exhaust flow that I removed my newly installed exhaust manifolds and ordered the rest of the Banks system. I will now be worry free forever as far as exhaust. The Banks system also gives great power increases for the 460. The headers are far superior to anything else and years of research and development have went into their systems. No gaskets are required due to the design and thickness of the header flanges. The entire system is stainless except for the tailpipe which is aluminized pipe so rust is not an issue. I figured if I was going to spend the money why not go with the best. Of course I am able to do the labor myself and by searching the net I found the Banks products at a great discount and free shipping from Performance Truck. The system is direct shipped from banks and I will have around two thousand dollars total invested in it.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
I put Hedman Elite coated headers an full Flowmaster exhaust designed specifically for the F53/460. Everything is emissions certified and pretty much a bolt on installation. Cost was just over $1000.
The big gotcha can be if you have issues removing the old manifold bolts. I was lucky and they all came out in one piece. If yours bust off - major headache.
With stock manifolds and exhaust, my motorhome would barely get out of its own way. Now it moves out quite smartly for an 18K+ lbs coach.
Do you remember the part numbers for the exhaust set-up you used?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinFamily View Post
Do you remember the part numbers for the exhaust set-up you used?
Headers are Hedman #89716
Exhaust is Flowmaster #17206

The exhaust is kinda loud but only from outside the coach. If you want quieter, you'd have to use a different muffler.

If you decide to go this route I can help with a few tricks I did to make it a nicer install.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote