Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
anybody running toyo tires ?

is anybody running these toyo tires ? i got a qoute for 6 245 75r 22.5 for 2100 http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/27554.pdf

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
is anybody running these toyo tires ? i got a qoute for 6 245 75r 22.5 for 2100 http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/27554.pdf

I have a set of Toyo 265/75 R22.5s that replaced the original 9R22.5 oems. Every thing matches except that the Toyos are one inch wider. I've written about what I learned about finding equivalent replacement sizes in another tire thread.

The replacement was this summer. Tires are givig good service. I like them. Price in Ohio with sales tax, fees, alignment, came to ~$2200. I'm happy with the choice and the price.

UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My MH originally had 245 75 22.5 tires I believe. Monaco recalled them due to overloading and PO installed 295 75 22.5 Toyos that have been great for the last 5 years. No issues. They are due for replacement in the spring and I will look closely at Toyos again. If you can fit a little bigger tire with better load capacity that might be something to consider. You will need to look at your weight and rating of new tires.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my Michelins with Toyos and have put on 11K this year with no problems. They ride nice as well.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks dtbt how do you check the weight an load ? the tires i have on there now cross with toyo what else is there to go on ? thanks in advance ! i know the price is way better than the michelin an good year prices for sure !
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I just got a price quote for six 265/75R22.5 Toyo M154 tires out the door mounted and balanced for $2,318.52. These will be replacing my Michelin 255/80R22.5 which started weather cracking at 5 years and only 16000 miles.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
was that the size tire you had on it ? some are talking load capacity ect i was looking to just replace the tires i dont know enough about going bigger any info id love to hear thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are several things to consider in changing tires.
1. weight of MH at front and back. Tires come in load ranges and require a certain inflation depending on weight on front or back. The higher the load rating usually the lower the required inflation, thus a better ride. There is usually an inflation table for you tire series at the manufacturer's web site. It is not good to have to run tires that are at the limit of their rated capacity. That is the motivation in going to a larger size. If you don't load your MH to capacity it is not an issue.

2. circumference. bigger tires make your speedo under register slightly. Some can be recalibrated but is a chore.

3. Clearance. Bigger tires may rub. You may have to slightly adjust the front stops to eliminate a rub. It is best to get advice from someone with your exact chassis to be sure.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
was that the size tire you had on it ? some are talking load capacity ect i was looking to just replace the tires i dont know enough about going bigger any info id love to hear thanks
Long post warning.

When I needed to replace all 6 tires early last summer I spent a lot of time on the web trying to educate myself. What follows is my understanding.

I am not a tire expert and I don't play one on television. I've posted this elsewhere and no one ever pointed out any error - but I don't guarantee that I'm offering good advice. I may know just enough to be dangerous.

----------------------

Replacement tires
First step:
1. Do a 4 corners weighing. You need to find a truck scale that has enough room around it to position the coach so that each corner is the only one being
weighed. The scale will be a flat platform, level with the ground.
Try searching Yellow Pages for Public Scales, Moving companies, and the one that works best for me -- Grain Elevators. My local elevator did it for free
since I didn't need any paperwork, they just wrote down the four numbers and waved me on. Nice folks.

The two critical issues are tire diameter (revolutions per mile) and tire width. Tire width is important for steering clearance and for proper dual spacing
at the rear. You need a minimum spacing, or larger, to get air flow between the duals for cooling. Its a critical measurement.
For tire width steering clearances you get a good picture of the situation by turning your fronts to each extreme, slide under the coach (engine off, brakes
set) with a steel tape rule and eyeball all around for clearances, and visually and tape measure see what additional width will do at the turn extremes.
For the rears you can use the a simple method. Engine off, brakes set, slide under the coach at one dual position and look between the tires front to back
(or back to front) to measure the closest distance between the tires.
If the new tires are 1" wider each, use just 1" decrease in the spacing estimated decrease in distance between tires. You only use 1/2 the tire width because
half the increase is on each side of the tire. If the new spacing looks reasonable (on the order of around 3" +/- 1/4" take the coach and your measurements
and the tire size you are considering to your truck tire dealer and get his opinion.
You do not have to have exactly the same size tires as came with your coach, you do have to have tires that will give you full clearance in turns and between
the duals and are within a few percent of the revolutions per mile of your current tires.
BTW, going to a higher load rating can give you a softer ride! You don't have to inflate to as high a pressure as you would with a lower load tire. That's
straight off the tire load/pressure tables if you look for it comparatively.

2. Here's how I found a replacement size for my tires. I had 9R22.5s as the OEM tire. They are becoming harder to find as most tire makers have moved
towards metric sizing.
Toyo has both standard sizes (9R22.5, 10R... etc) and metric (270/70R22.5). You need to look at each Toyo tire model for sizes to find comparables.
Basically the metric numbers are tire width/aspect ratio (sidewall height as a proportion of tire width) Radial 22.5, or 20.. (wheel
size).
Once you locate a Toyo tire model (medium duty truck - all position) with comparable measurements you need to check the tire specs. There is a link on the
manufacturer's website that takes you to a table that includes a variety of special information.
I was able to find a metric substitute for my 9R22.5 OEM tires with a Toyo 275/65R22.5. The metrics are 1" wider, but no taller, have the same revolutions
per mile (no need to have speedometer re-calibrated) and were a grade higher (from F to G).

3a. The critical issue is tire clearances if you go to a wider tire. For the fronts I turned the steering wheel to extreme left and extreme right and
measured clearances between tires and any nearby structure, checked to make sure that the additional width wouldn't hit anything.
The backs get a little more technical. You need to be sure that the wider tires in a dual configuration are far enough apart to allow ventilation between the
tires. The specification tables usually give minimum dual spacing.
Simple method. Measure the spacing between the side-walls of the duals at the "fattest" part of the tires. On my coach that was around 3-3/4". If you go with
a 1" wider tire, as I did, you have to realize that 1/2 of that inch increase is on the right side of the tire and the other 1/2" is on the left side of the
tire.
Two tires each 1" wider, means the gap between is decreased by 1" (1/2 from tire A and 1/2 from tire B. So my dual spacing was reduced from almost 4" to almost 3". Three inches should give plenty of ventilation.

3b. The technical (and a little more difficult) method is to look up your Wheel Offset provided by the wheel manufacturer.

You need the wheel model number from the rim and then apply the following formula:

Min. dual spacing = 2x(offset) - width of one tire

My offset was 6.44". I wanted to use a 10" wide tire.
Mds = 2(6.44) - 10 = 2.88.

Two point eighty-eight was virtually the same number I got from the simple method.

4. I made up a spreadsheet to keep track of all the tires I looked at and a simple calculator for the Mds computation. You can see it here:
Tire comparisons: http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman/tire.jpg

5. Also, you need to pay attention to Revolutions per Mile since large differences between old and new tires will show up on the speedometer and odometer.

When I started this search I really knew nothing about the issues. I did a lot of reading on the internet and now I know just enough to be dangerous.
You need to look at the tables, talk to your tire supplier, and make your own decision.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #11

I have a 2003 Pace Arrow 36B on a Workhorse W22 chassis. 6000 miles ago I replaced my Michelin 235/80R22.5s with Toyo M154 245/75R22.5s and could not be happier. I got 6 new tires installed with current born on dates (<60 days) for $1800 at Riverside Tire in Sealy, Tx. They ride better than the Michelins, I run them at 90 psi all around which is adequate for the max GVW of the chassis (yes I have weighed the coach and am below max GVW). I am very happy with the change
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #12

When we bought our rig (See signature) last July, it had the original delivery GY tires still fitted. It's an early 02 and the tires were late '00. We took one trip before replacing them and the ride was awful.

Six new Toyos from Les Schwab, with a "born on" date only a month earlier than they were installed, transformed the ride quality, eliminated the wandering and are much quieter.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I put 6 toyo M154's on my coach this year @ Les Schwab in Wilsonville, OR for about $2,300. Extreme value considering how stable this tire is. Best bang for the buck imho. LOL when I bought my coach... it was sporting 9 year old TOYO 22.5 "Hyperions" with 0% cracking and looked gorgeous!! 9 years scared me bad so i pulled all 6 off but it kind of broke my heart too!

fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote