Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Anyone added Hose/connection For BBQ from propane tank?

We recently bought a 2005 Itasca Horizon, and it has a good sized propane tank. Rather than have to carry around a bottle for my BBQ, what would be ideal is if there was a hose and connection off the main tank that I could just connect my BBQ to.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if they have any advice, comments, instructions, warnings, etc.

Thanks,

Darryl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I own a Fleetwood Jamboree Sport, quick connection came factory off my propane tank. Bought a Camco 57310 Olympian 5100 Elite Grill and it came supplied with the hose needed.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
I own a Fleetwood Jamboree Sport, quick connection came factory off my propane tank. Bought a Camco 57310 Olympian 5100 Elite Grill and it came supplied with the hose needed.
Nice. I'll doublecheck but pretty sure I'm not lucky enough to have that.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Don't know about your Itasca, but many RV tanks already have a port right there on the side of the tank in the propane compartment. I'd guess 10's of thousands have already done what you're proposing. As long as your setup has a regulator and a shut off, you're good.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Don't know about your Itasca, but many RV tanks already have a port right there on the side of the tank in the propane compartment. I'd guess 10's of thousands have already done what you're proposing. As long as your setup has a regulator and a shut off, you're good.
Thanks. Will check later.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are commercial Tees available for that purpose. Many of them also have a port for connecting an external tank so you don't have to use the propane in the motor home tank and then have to move to refill.
One is the Stay A While by Mr Heater. HERE
Another is the Extend a Stay by Marshall Brass HERE

If you get the one with two ports make sure you get the kit that contains two hoses.
I think there is a "Deluxe" added to the end on the product name.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the extend a stay on mine. It is a easy install and works great. Much cheaper fuel than the small gas cans.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #8

It sounds like what you are looking for is the Extend A Flow where you can use your coaches propane to feed a external grill. I've used this before with great luck, Propane Adapter - Extend A Flow Kit on Sale - PPL Motor Homes .

Shimmy
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

I would advise that there are 2 ways of doing this. Some will use unregulated LP pressure straight from the tank. This is fairly high pressure stuff (200 psi or so?)! The other uses regulated pressure, is tied into the system after the LP has gone through the regulator. The downside to this method is the device you use can't have an additional regulator in place. If it does you'll need to remove it, usually requiring a little re-plumbing.

Either way works great, each has their own down side. Bottom line, be very clear which you are using - from where the gas line is tapped in, to what kind of device you are using!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would advise that there are 2 ways of doing this. Some will use unregulated LP pressure straight from the tank. This is fairly high pressure stuff (200 psi or so?)! The other uses regulated pressure, is tied into the system after the LP has gone through the regulator. The downside to this method is the device you use can't have an additional regulator in place. If it does you'll need to remove it, usually requiring a little re-plumbing. ...
I'm still adding STUFF to my MH and a grill is next. However, I am not sure if there are other devices that I don't know about that I may want to be able to connect up to my MH's tank.

Is there a general consensus on installing access to the MH's LP before or after the regulator? Is there a safety advantage to either method?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

I have a WeberQ (best portable I ever owned) and find that the little green bottles available at Wal Mart for about $2 each work great and last a few meals. Easy to carry a few spares, easy to mount on the BBQ. It probably costs around $200 to hookup a T fitting, an outlet and extra hoses... Unless you full time and the BBQ is hooked up for long periods...
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin
We recently bought a 2005 Itasca Horizon, and it has a good sized propane tank. Rather than have to carry around a bottle for my BBQ, what would be ideal is if there was a hose and connection off the main tank that I could just connect my BBQ to.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if they have any advice, comments, instructions, warnings, etc.

Thanks,

Darryl
Yes i've added a hose... Works great,,
Some rv places sell hose add ons
Will have a tee fitting to go to your grill
If you want to use yournew hose for and additional tank add on i found that the add on connections for that are alot more confusing
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #13

I did mine for less than 100. Have done it both ways, high pressure and low pressure. If you're comfortable doing plumbing work this isn't that much different. As I said, you just need to watch what you're doing - from where you get the gas, to how you use it!

I prefer the low pressure method, think it safer, but understand how some might be totally baffled about how to remove a regulator installed internally in a grill?

Some of your decision might be regarding access to a gas line or propane tank? You will probably want to use your grill (or whatever) on the passenger side of the coach. Is you LP tank on that side, or the other? The longest pre-made hoses I've seen are 10-12', making hooking into a tank on the drivers side more difficult?

You just need to check it out, think it through, to see which might work best for you?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quick connect from Lowes. Saw the same thing at home depot today. Under $50 for connection and 12 foot hose. I have seen a 25 foot hose option. I am in the process of adding adapters to mine for other options. I will post later this week.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank