Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Anyone bought a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion?

2015 Excursion by Fleetwood RV

I see they took the top line name and brought it to the bottom,..

I'm not a diesel fan....they are money loosers... but I had a guy tell me...

"the only time you loose money on a diesel pusher is when you sell,so I'm keeping mine"

but on with the thread...

seems a good affordable coach that fills the void between gas and big pushers...

10,000 lb tow is attractive... that and the power can be flashed to 340 hp with software

wha cha think????
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You asked, so here's what I think.
- The Excursion is at the bottom of the FW pecking order, which, top to bottom, is Providence, Discovery, Expedition, Excursion. You'll have to go through each coach's list of standard equipment and options to see what separates them.
- Most diesels will have at least a 10k tow rating, compared to 5k for most gassers.
- You might not be a diesel fan, but once you own one, you'll never go back to a gasser. I did not find which diesel it has, probably the smallest, 6.7 Cummins.
- I agree it is probably a good filler between gassers and big DPs.
- If I was in your place, I'd be very careful "flashing" the Cummins. Check first to see if the transmission can handle the extra HP and torque.
- FW is an excellent company and will provide first class service. Their tech help line is very responsive and helpful.

Good luck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Which gas powered motor homes are not money losers?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
- The Excursion is at the bottom of the FW pecking order, which, top to bottom, is Providence, Discovery, Expedition, Excursion. You'll have to go through each coach's list of standard equipment and options to see what separates them.
- Most diesels will have at least a 10k tow rating, compared to 5k for most gassers.
- You might not be a diesel fan, but once you own one, you'll never go back to a gasser. I did not find which diesel it has, probably the smallest, 6.7 Cummins.
- If I was in your place, I'd be very careful "flashing" the Cummins. Check first to see if the transmission can handle the extra HP and torque.
- FW is an excellent company and will provide first class service. Their tech help line is very responsive and helpful.

Good luck.
I think I bought 7 new diesel pushers... none of which I kept longer than 6 months... yeah they have power...but,,, gramma in a walker will beat it across the street.... and did I say heavy???? one of the best ones for me was the bounder diesel 34'... rode like crap... dealer said , 'go home and load up everything you can find to get the weight up and it will ride better...

not....
what I did was got on the Michelin web site ... put the tire pressure to match the weight...then did some fab work on the arms to lower the air bag preasure...

then it rode good...

I took it to cat... and they flashed the computer to 340hp... said what you did.. that was as much as they could go because of the radiator and trans....
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

Good luck.
another thing for me is, we go to the dunes and off road...pulling a 24'box29' total ... and I'm limited to be able to get out of our culdesac...
Old 01-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Which gas powered motor homes are not money losers?
I'm guessing it's more of a sliding scale... if you only pay 70k for the coach... that's the most you could loose in the first year
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

so getting back to the freight linner...is it the same???
did they do anything to make it ride better???

I've heard claims of 12mpg??? bs or ????

gas is getting close to the 2 buck a gallon mark...

so not as important... but still some thing to think about...

when I had my last diesel it was pushing 5bucks a gal....
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

We've just signed on a 2014 excursion left over.(brand new) The price was just so attractive and the floor plan was almost exactly what we were looking for. My only Class A experience was was a 32 ft something Pace Arrow (1980ish) that we had for a couple of years long ago. The 454 roared like a lion and the ride was similar to something you'd see on The Deadliest Catch in 20 ft seas.

We did a 30 min test ride in the Excursion and I liked it a lot. Since I've never driven a DP before I can't compare it to anything else, just the old Pace Arrow. I will say the 300 HP cummins did not overly impress me. Part of that might be I was timid about "flooring it" since I was a bit nervous driving a big rig again after so long. I saw the other posters comment about flashing it up to 340 and I don't think it's something ID do without research on the tranny and what the risk of voiding the warranty would be.

All in all we like everything about the coach. There's some stuff that needs to get fixed prior to delivery (reverse wired slide out switches, doors needing adjustments, and most of all a god awful squeak coming from the corner of the windshield dashboard on the drivers side. I've seen several complaints about squeaks in the Excursions forum so it may be a common issue. But it has some upscale features like double pane glass (which may be gone on the new frameless windows in the 2015s), full coach paint, Fantastic Vent fans etc.
This coach was priced well below the $150-$170 prices I'm seeing on line for the 2015s which is making it especially attractive. I'll let you know when we get it if the DP halo is really as sweet as we think
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

We are the proud owners of a 2014 Excursion 33D. I have to take issue with the "bottom of pecking order" comment which sort of implies some sort of low end MH. The 33D Excursion may be the shortest but it by no means indicates a poorer quality or less robust build - something we can attest to after 6000 miles. The 300hp Cummins is more than adequate and from hitting several passes in the rockies this past summer don't see a reason to alter the engine setup since its still delivering 10.5mpg.

Unlike the example video, we are not reembursed nor getting any sort of kickback from FW. I'm also not getting a discounted new MH this year like the couple in the video. The wife and I really like our Excursion and look forward to a long ride.

Word of warning though. If you do buy new, ensure the dealer does ALL of the prep work up front and do a thorough PDI before signing. Our story with our dealer was one nightmares are made of.
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Show me anything on wheels, wings or floats that isn't a money loser. These are toys (defined as want, not need), not assets.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

I think the OP was actually giving a complement to the excursions. Sounds to me like you're satisfied with your purchase over 6k miles. Hope I do as well with mine.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadaThing View Post
... I have to take issue with the "bottom of pecking order" comment which sort of implies some sort of low end MH....
My comment was certainly not meant in a derogatory manner, just stating the facts by listing the order of the Fleetwood line up. It could be called an "entry level" DP.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
We've just signed on a 2014 excursion left over.(brand new) The price was just so attractive and the floor plan was almost exactly what we were looking for. My only Class A experience was was a 32 ft something Pace Arrow (1980ish) that we had for a couple of years long ago. The 454 roared like a lion and the ride was similar to something you'd see on The Deadliest Catch in 20 ft seas.

We did a 30 min test ride in the Excursion and I liked it a lot. Since I've never driven a DP before I can't compare it to anything else, just the old Pace Arrow. I will say the 300 HP cummins did not overly impress me. Part of that might be I was timid about "flooring it" since I was a bit nervous driving a big rig again after so long. I saw the other posters comment about flashing it up to 340 and I don't think it's something ID do without research on the tranny and what the risk of voiding the warranty would be.

All in all we like everything about the coach. There's some stuff that needs to get fixed prior to delivery (reverse wired slide out switches, doors needing adjustments, and most of all a god awful squeak coming from the corner of the windshield dashboard on the drivers side. I've seen several complaints about squeaks in the Excursions forum so it may be a common issue. But it has some upscale features like double pane glass (which may be gone on the new frameless windows in the 2015s), full coach paint, Fantastic Vent fans etc.
This coach was priced well below the $150-$170 prices I'm seeing on line for the 2015s which is making it especially attractive. I'll let you know when we get it if the DP halo is really as sweet as we think
thanks for the post . this might be our next rig if I don't start lov'n the ford soon

Tags
fleetwood