Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipNgas View Post
Although the hitch is rated at 10k lbs, the coach cannot tow that much. I have a 2014 35B and my calculations come out to around 7200 lbs max with an empty coach. I believe the limiting factor is the transmission. This is a known issue with the Excursion and has been discussed in many of the threads on irv2. I fell for the same sales pitch when I bought my coach but that was a "shame on me" moment because I didn't know how to to calculate the actual tow capability before I purchased. Not a big deal for me as I wont tow more that 7k anyway. Buyers beware!
you get a little more with the 33d that and I don't have the washer dryer...

the trans and brakes and chassis is rated to 34000lbs...got that from freightliner..so I guess I could tow 12k if I wanted and not hurt anything..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #30

also... don't forget, the 33d is the best , most powerful under 34' coach on the market..it has the highest tow capacity , the strongest chassis.

the undisputed .....pound for pound...

KING OF THE HILL

Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
X2 here... we are really loving ours... got used to the turbo lag by just gassing it sooner and harder...

she pulls the boat and box trailer with ease...had a couple miner issues but noting to take it in for...

mine rides quiet now, like a great big sedan...went to 275-70-22.5 tires, bilstien shocks and 85 psi on the tires

she tracks straight and un affected by passing trucks..got about 4000 miles of smile out of her so far..luv'n ever minute
I agree with everything except the "tracks straight and unaffected by passing trucks" part. I definitely feel the suck when trucks go by. Even cars are noticeable. And I do a lot of steering keeping it straight. It does seem like there's a lot of wind every time I've been out. I wish I could drive yours to compare. Maybe I need to get the suspension looked at. Or maybe its normal. You can't be driving a huge "box" down the road at 65 and have another huge box pass you and not feel any suck. I may just not know what normal is.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I agree with everything except the "tracks straight and unaffected by passing trucks" part. I definitely feel the suck when trucks go by. Even cars are noticeable. And I do a lot of steering keeping it straight. It does seem like there's a lot of wind every time I've been out. I wish I could drive yours to compare. Maybe I need to get the suspension looked at. Or maybe its normal. You can't be driving a huge "box" down the road at 65 and have another huge box pass you and not feel any suck. I may just not know what normal is.
did you watch the video??? I drove by the truck with no hands on the wheel

https://youtu.be/yflrl-oK01E?list=UU...6zmNom4rhNAJyA
Old 04-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #33

Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
watch the truck go by at the 30 second mark and watch the 3:50 mark bus passes me all over the lane

Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #35

Quote:
did you watch the video??? I drove by the truck with no hands on the wheel

https://youtu.be/yflrl-oK01E?list=UU...6zmNom4rhNAJyA
I can't drive like that. Mine is all over the place. What was your's like before the tires/shocks?

I did try your trick of putting more screws in the dash and it quieted most of the squeaks down.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #36

Quote:
I can't drive like that. Mine is all over the place. What was your's like before the tires/shocks?

I did try your trick of putting more screws in the dash and it quieted most of the squeaks down.
stuff rags in the winshield pillars... stops almost all the wind noise''

all I remember was the wind noiser the rattles everwhere the harsh jolts on the tar strips and free way seems... all pretty much gone//

my wife even said sometime it feels like we aren't even going...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #37

Quote:

whats your cold tire pressure.... I still say those 255's are too small for the 8.25 rim...

the bilstiens will be a huge help with your sway....

and don't drink the kool aid...just get the bilstiens...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #38

Quote:
whats your cold tire pressure.... I still say those 255's are too small for the 8.25 rim...

the bilstiens will be a huge help with your sway....

and don't drink the kool aid...just get the bilstiens...
Running the placard pressures (120 up front, 105 in the rears). I'm hung up on the Goodyear statements not recommending going to a lower pressure for better ride.

I don't think I want to drop another 3 or 4 grand on new tires. Shocks maybe.

I think the first order of business is to get an alignment and have someone look at the suspension.

Very jealous of your ride though.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Running the placard pressures (120 up front, 105 in the rears). I'm hung up on the Goodyear statements not recommending going to a lower pressure for better ride.

I think the first order of business is to get an alignment and have someone look at the suspension.

the proof is in the pudding...

put the bilstiens stop the sway... the sach shocks suck
Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #40

Quote:

did you weigh your coach?? maybe check side to side???
Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #41

With 4k miles on my 2015 33d, I feel qualified to have an opinion.

1. Mine rode rough and had a loud crashing sound when hitting bumps. I have not weighed my coach, but dropped the air pressure in the front tires from 117.5 PSI to 105 PSI and it made a huge improvement.

2. My first big trip started with no hot water. I pulled out the back left drawer to access the back of the water heater. It was heating, but nithing was getting past the check valve. I drained the water heater and ripped the guts out of the check valve with some needle nose pliers. Problem solved and I have seen no negative effects from the mod. I do wish water pressure was higher.

3. Under the couch is the wiring for the outside entertainment. Trying to get a better signal for the Indy 500 broadcast, I fiddled with some of the wires and found a two wires and a 3 amp fuse in a wire loom. The ends of the two wires touched, sparked, and my Power Jack antenna was dead until the 3 amp fuse was replaced. Live wires stuffed under the couch? Shotty workmanship at that station in the factory.

4. My nifty LED daytime running lights were replaced under warranty since half of them stopped working. Good thing because my 4 hours of driving to get a recall taken care of would have been a total waste since they looked at mine and said the seats were mounted properly and did not need serviced under the recall.

That is a lot of complaining, but it is a complex system and there are bound to be problems. My family of three and a dog are always comfortable in it. If anything we wish the bed was a little longer, but it is still excellent on trips. It tows my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with no problems and still gets around 10 MPG.

I would not steer anyone away from the Excursion, but make this post so anyone doing a pre-purchase inspection will know what to look for during the walk through.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #42

I don't think that's a lot of complaining. I think you've done well for yourself. My 2014 35C had some minor issues. Luckily my dealer is about 30 min from my house. I still have an issue with my grey and black tank gauges being way off. Waiting for some other reason to bring it in since it eats up the better part of a day to take it, get it fixed and then come back for it.

We've put about 3000 miles in 8 trips with our Excursion since we got it in January. Knock on wood no significant issues. Without floor plan it makes a great weekend warrior for a family of 3. Two queen beds (the "short" queen in the main bedroom and a full queen overhead bunk my daughter sleeps in. We dumped the crappy Flexsteel Jack knife recliner/bed and put a leather reclining love seat it. Super comfortable. The front passenger seat is a decent recliner too. We like the table and chairs as opposed to a full dinette. Power, ride and drivability of the coach is pretty good for the "starter" DP class unit it is.

Have not experimented with tire pressure or new shocks yet, but a good wheel alignment made a ton of difference. Still some squeaks and groans I bend to identify and fix. Problem has been we've been using it too much to have time to deal with those minor annoyances.

The only issue that sits in the back of my mind is a dark spot that shows up in the lower left hand corner of the radiator after driving. Not sure what it is. If it were a coolant or othe fluid leak I'd expect to see levels dropping somewhere. So far, nothing discernable. No noticeable residue either. I was going to take it to Freightliner for a look-see, but they were going to charge an hour shop time for the diag, so o figure since there is no other signs of trouble at this point I'll just wait till the first service sometime in December to get it looked at.

Tags
fleetwood