Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #43

I watched you're videos of climbing with the gas vs/ diesel. It did not seem like there was a big difference between the two regarding climbing speed seemed comparable am I correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #44

Picked up our new 2015 Excursion 33D last week. We are on day 2 of climbing some pretty good mountains in Utah and Wyoming. We are pleasantly surprised and very pleased with the performance of the 300 hp Cummins and Allison 2100 transmission . Our last DP had a 350 Cat and 3000 tranny. We were worried about the boogie but are very satisfied. We wanted to downsize MH and do not regret ( I know it's early ) our purchase.

Sherry

Old 06-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I watched you're videos of climbing with the gas vs/ diesel. It did not seem like there was a big difference between the two regarding climbing speed seemed comparable am I correct?

The difference is huge. I blow by gas rv's in my diesel going uphill, and air brakes and exhaust brake are indispensable in big mountains. Going uphill in a gas rig the hot engine compartment is right beside you, the rpm's screaming to make the grade. In a DP the turbo diesel engine is in the rear, quiet as can be up front. I rented a gasser once on a trip through the mountains, never again!

Cheers!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post

all I remember was the wind noiser the rattles everwhere the harsh jolts on the tar strips and free way seems... all pretty much gone//

WHAT ???
Old 06-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we bought a 2015 last year 35e had some of same prob frount windshield squick some little stuff.love the bunk for are daughter.only some things is no heat vent up frount and the sencer for heat & air controll is in a box above the drivers head so when the sun bets on that side air keeps runing.as for gray & black water gauge dealer replace gauge strips same prob. dealler wanted to have local omg had so much prob with them had to take it to there new store in wixom mi tech was super and sales guy i talk to answer my ? about the couch.went from class c to class a were full timers so hard to give up know out of warrenty will fix my self.if i buy again i'll have somthing about service and hold some money back for a year.now we have 8000 miles on it we get 11 mpg pulling a car driving 65.hills i just down shift and up we go.found out if warming it up push cruise butten in and rpm goes to 1000
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
we bought a 2015 last year 35e had some of same prob frount windshield squick some little stuff.love the bunk for are daughter.only some things is no heat vent up frount and the sencer for heat & air controll is in a box above the drivers head so when the sun bets on that side air keeps runing.as for gray & black water gauge dealer replace gauge strips same prob. dealler wanted to have local omg had so much prob with them had to take it to there new store in wixom mi tech was super and sales guy i talk to answer my ? about the couch.went from class c to class a were full timers so hard to give up know out of warrenty will fix my self.if i buy again i'll have somthing about service and hold some money back for a year.now we have 8000 miles on it we get 11 mpg pulling a car driving 65.hills i just down shift and up we go.found out if warming it up push cruise butten in and rpm goes to 1000
safe travles bob,linda & missy

I'm considering purchasing a 35E for the bunks. A friend has the 35C and we just returned from a coast to coast trip, about 5500 miles. Through the Mountains on both coast, and he said it performed well. I was concerned about the 300 hp towing as I tow a jeep Cherokee, but with 10k rating that's plenty of room as my jeep is just under 5k.

My main concern it the spacing. As I mentioned my main purpose is for the bunks. How is the spacing? We are a family of 5 and it seems this coach will fit us perfect, and being "entry level", it's affordable as well. Thanks
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There is no comparing gas/diesel when it comes to hill climbing. My last RV had a Cummins 8.9L ISL...it went up seven degrees crossing the Cont Divide. Any gasser will be screaming with the RPM pegged. It's not really a fair comparison. Like comparing a recip airplane with a turbine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
the gas coaches where 10 mph faster
Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #51
Dazed and Confused

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excursion towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
I was concerned about the 300 hp towing as I tow a jeep Cherokee, but with 10k rating that's plenty of room as my jeep is just under 5k.
Hi Ghostman. Be careful on the towing capacity. The hitch is rated for 10k BUT the coach cannot tow that much. It has a limited transmission and the coach is only rated for approx. 7k of total additional weight. That includes fuel, water, people, etc. The sales folks love to throw out that 10k hitch as a sales pitch but fail to tell the buyer it cannot actually tow 10k. It's still good but definitely not 10k.

These are nice units but they have LOTS of quality control problems. Several have sold their coach within a year of purchase because of so many problems. I'm still fighting Fleetwood about reimbursing me for house batteries that failed while under warranty. I've also had some major failures.

I advise proceeding slowly and doing your research. Lots of info on this site, just search on excursion. And pick a well rated dealer as you will be spending much time in their service department. I got lucky and picked a dealer with a good service department....but I've read about some real nightmares!

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #52

I've had my 2014 Excursion 35 C since January and don't think the QC is any better or worse than any other mfg. have yet to have any major issues at 6k miles. I agree it is worth while buying from a dealer that will help with warranty issues, but remember that engine and chassis problems will get referred to Cummins and Frieghtliner for repair, but that's common throuout the industry.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #53
Dazed and Confused

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner and Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I've had my 2014 Excursion 35 C since January and don't think the QC is any better or worse than any other mfg. have yet to have any major issues at 6k miles. I agree it is worth while buying from a dealer that will help with warranty issues, but remember that engine and chassis problems will get referred to Cummins and Frieghtliner for repair, but that's common throuout the industry.
Hi Jon, glad to hear you're happy with your unit! Me and some others not so lucky.

As for your chassis comment, I've had some great experiences with Freightliner so I'm very happy with that aspect of my coach. My first tow was 2000 miles from home in the middle on nowhere and Freightliner was there almost immediately and handled everything nicely. My recent tow issues were related to loose connectors and they were again very helpful. It's unfortunate that I actually had to deal with them but it's nice to know if I do, they'll be there with a smiling face. Haven't had the bad fortune to deal with Cummins yet but I hear they are just as good.

Continued luck and happy travels!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's comments. I know all units have their issues from time to time, my concern was the space for a family of 5 and towing capacity. I didn't think it would tow 10k, nor did I need 10k but my jeep with bikes on the rack is just over 5k, so 7500 is more than enough. However I think i'm going to wait and find me a good used discovery 40G
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
2015 Excursion by Fleetwood RV

I see they took the top line name and brought it to the bottom,..

I'm not a diesel fan....they are money loosers... but I had a guy tell me...

"the only time you loose money on a diesel pusher is when you sell,so I'm keeping mine"

but on with the thread...

seems a good affordable coach that fills the void between gas and big pushers...

10,000 lb tow is attractive... that and the power can be flashed to 340 hp with software

wha cha think????
WOW I just got off the phone with Cummins. You can flash the engine but transmission will not handle it. Plus it is way costly to do it. I have the Cummins 6.7L with the Allison 2100MH. I am happy right now with what I have and I get 12.3 MPG
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #56

our fleetwood is good

We have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence 40x. It has been a really good coach. It's just me but we will never by new again. Did once decide to move up in 2 years took a bath on the trade plus all the bugs are worked out of a 2-4 year old used coach. Ours is the 360 cummins and it preforms great towing in mountains etc, no problem. Can't relate to your engine but ours is great. Alaska and back last year.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood