Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Anyone buy bunkhouse and wish later they hadn't?

I am in the market for a bunkhouse motorhome and really want one. My kids will love it, they will be out of my way at times and have their own space, and I don't have to make up a couch/dinette every night.

But, I do know my kids will probably not care to RV/camp in about 5-7 years and then I have an RV with bunks. These RV's lose value so fast that I do really want to keep it for 20+ years so I would rather not buy another if I can help it.

How many just wished they did make up the couch/dinette for those years and had a non-bunkhouse coach? Or, are you fine that you still have 2 unused bunks
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

How about we didn't buy one and now wish we did..???? The nice thing about a bunk style MH is if you are not using the bunks you can store stuff there. Some have either opinion which is cool too. As far a resale..... If you keep it in good repair you will be able to sell it. In AZ you don't see many used uint for sale and the ones that we have seen... well need a lot of work.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

We bought a bunkhouse, and we don't travel with kids. We do travel with dogs, and the bunks are where we put dog crates, and also use it for storage. We have made part of the bunk area a medicine cabinet, and a kitchen pantry. We also have storage for a lot of other stuff. Since we are full timers, storage is important, so our bunkhouse model suits us very well.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

its either a 'bunkhouse', or its a large two-tiered closet/storage/pantry all the rest of your RVing friends wished THEY had!

the top bunk typically folds down to make it either a closet or a couch

we have one some in the bottom bunk
use the top bunk for storage
and another son in the front drop-down bunk

no pulling out couches for us!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Nope we love our Holiday rambler endeavor 40g.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a bunkhouse trailer for a couple of years and it was actually used a couple of times by the grandkids. Otherwise it was used as storage.

We upgraded from the trailer to a Thor. ACE 30.1 without the bunks. Wife wanted the larger counter space at the time. We have the storable bunk over the cab seats, but it can't be used for storage. We miss the storage capacity of the bunks. We now put a couple of towels down in the bottom of the shower and put miscellaneous stuff in the shower while we are traveling. Poor substitute for the bunks
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a Winnebago Sunstar 31BE. The bunks fold up and become a hanging closet space if you don’t want or need the bunks.

Also we bought new because there was so little inventory for bunkhouse floor plans.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

Yep, bunks can store a lot more than just kids It's not like you're committing to the space and it can't be used for anything else. Bunks are great for all kinds of things.

Also, people rarely use an RV for 20 years. If you can find something that works for you for the next 5-7 years buy it. You'll be in minority if you keep it longer than that.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #9

We Love ours and the kids need to feel they have a place. I prefer the coach pretty organized, so I don't like a lot of stuff in the main salon.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Okay. You've all done a nice job of convincing me to purchase a MH with a bunkhouse. Good job!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We just ordered a Newmar Bay Star 3406 for all the reasons described. While the kids are young (9 / 7), they have their own space (books, games, etc.) and DW and I don't have to deal with the couch being made up into a bed each night. For what its worth, quality used bunkhouse motorhomes seem to sell pretty darn fast so if in a few years the kids don't want to travel I will re-evaluate our needs and whether upgrading is worthwhile or not.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
We just ordered a Newmar Bay Star 3406 for all the reasons described. While the kids are young (9 / 7), they have their own space (books, games, etc.) and DW and I don't have to deal with the couch being made up into a bed each night. For what its worth, quality used bunkhouse motorhomes seem to sell pretty darn fast so if in a few years the kids don't want to travel I will re-evaluate our needs and whether upgrading is worthwhile or not.

Bill
I do have my eye on the 3406 but unsure if i want to go that high in price. I am looking to keep this around 100-115k. I haven't seen any pics yet of the 3406 - I keep waiting but I am also not in a hurry. My list right now:

- Bay Star 3406
- Bay Star/Sport 3306
- Tiffin 35QBA
- Winnebago Vista/LX 35B
- Fleetwood/HR 36H or shorter models in the 31B (I think that's the one)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #13

Get the best of both worlds and Google my rig, it has a 60"x80" (queen) bunk that drops down above the cockpit; bunk at night no bunk by day.

-Kevin
Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #14

We love our Discovery 40G Bunkhouse. Since our daughter is 9, it's going to be a long time till we "outgrow" it. Even if we did, that space could be easily reconfigured to a giant closet, or even better to a desk/office space.