Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #1

Anyone else having problems with their slideouts?

Great to be a part of this most informative, enlightening crowd. My wife and I are once proud, now completely disillusioned and disgusted, owners of a 2013 Itasca Ellipse MH. We purchased it new at the RV show in West Palm Beach, FL for the sole purpose of full-timing it on the road for my wife's travel nursing dream. We were just about to depart on her first job assignment when one of our A/C units blew up. When we put the MH in for service (thank the Good Lord still within the warranty period) we asked the service center of LaMesa of Ft. Pierce to ALSO check the passenger side (galley side) slideout, as it had been acting a bit "quirky" during the past several "ins and outs" at the state park where we have been storing it in preparation of renting our home for our upcoming travel. The day after our service visit, we were informed that in checking out the slideout, it broke. My research has indicated that the slideout mechanism is manufactured by the Lippert Communications Inc (LPI) and has been giving other coach owners, regardless of manufacture, the same problems for over 10 years.

Neither the braniacs at Winnebago, nor LaMesa, have a clue as to the origin or cause of the problems...they point the finger at LPI for a bad product, and LPI tends to point the finger (are ya' guessing which finger I'm referring to?) back at the manufacturer for bad design.

I have a strong feeling that it's probably BOTH, and that the torque on the slideout mechanism tends to be compounded by the order in which the slideouts are exercised, both extending and retracting them. No one seems to know the best order. Help...I have my theories, but can't find anything written in the operator's manual as to which slideout to put out first, second, etc.

Any recommendations out there in "experience land"?

George & Evangelia. Soon 2B on the road hopefully.
GypsyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Welcome to IRV2 and I'm sure you will enjoy this site.

Sorry to hear about your problem with the slideout. I have a 2014 Winnebago Adventurer and our slideouts are Lippert and work fine, knock on wood.

The main thing I do when operating slide outs is start the motor, then level the coach and then put the slide outs out. I usually put the drivers slide out first, then the dining area and lastly the bedroom. That being said I don't think the order of putting slideouts make any difference.

As far as blame goes I wouldn't blame anyone, things just happen.

Lastly good luck on you going fulltime, Enjoy!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

Just an opinion but I believe that, at least in my coach, there is simply too much weight for the slides to work without strain. My coach has the storage compartments attached to slides, sot there is the added weight of storage items, plus on the passenger side the refrigerator. Drivers side has storage plus galley. I just read about the new Entegra and note that they pointed out that the frig was not a part of the slide.
I will be taking my rig to Winnebago next year for slide adjustments and hopefully some improvement in operation, nothing more frustrating that getting ready to move and you have to push the slide to help it close.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone else having problems with their slideouts?

It seems many RV owners are having a lot of problems with the Lippert slide system. My 2011 Winnebago has PowerGear slides mechanisms and works flawlessly. They extend or retract with or without jacks extended and level or not. It is a beefier, completely different design with the gears and slide mechanisms under the slides rather than on rails on the side. Also, my galley is not on a slide (three slide outs), nor are the storage compartments.

I think the Lippert slide rail and motor system is a poor design, especially for larger slides. It saves the manufacturer money in production, but seems to cause a lot if problems for the owners.

Hope they can come up with a fix.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

Lippert components have been a thorn in my side from day one. I bought a new 2011 Holiday Rambler Neptune 40' DP, and on the very first trip the Lippert pump starting leaking. It was replaced with a total new assembly. One year later the pump failed, and again it was replaced with a new assembly, pump and tank. We have recently returned from a three month trip, and again the Lippert pump failed. My motorhome is now in the shop waiting for another new pump and tank assembly. Again I was told that Lippert had a new and much improved assembly.
I have always followed the the slide instructions as stated in the owners manual.
So It must be a faulty design in the motorhome or that Lippert pumps are not designed properly for some motorhome models.
Crawfish39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

Lippert slides...continued...

Thanks to All responding...I agree with Tom that the Lippert slides IMHO are inadequately designed for the loading that Winnebago has placed upon them...like I told LaMesa yesterday...it seems to be just a piss-poor design of the MH. The slideout that seems to be causing the problem is the passenger side galley slideout housing the sofa and the kitchen with all the corian countertop and equipment. The driver's side slideout is the longest running from just behind the driver cockpit to just up to the rear bathroom past the bedroom...wow is that a lengthy distance for a slideout, but the salvation is that this slideout DOESN'T have the LPI wormgear track mechanism...it is controlled by three hydraulic gear driven ram arms and to date, knock on wood, has functioned flawlessly.

The reason I question that the order of extension and retraction must have something to do "torque-wise" with the passenger slideout, is because I, too, have been exercising the order of extension as follows: we too , while the engine is running, level the MH, then extend the passenger side slideout, then the much longer driver's side slideout (just in the interest of trying to balance out the loading), then the passenger side rear bedroom slideout. We reverse the order of retraction when we depart the site. My theory is that by doing this "in this order" is that this "might" be causing an undue amount of torgue (however briefly) on the LPI mechanism prior to the exercise of the driver's side slideout. Nobody can tell me one way or the other whether my theory (or any theory) has ANY merit or credence at all.

I have told LaMesa that once the new LPI slideout mechanism is installed, I plan on extending and retracting the slides "in the same order sequence" but "a little at a time"...jockeying back and forth until both large slideouts are out or in. Or do I need to worry about "jack posts" under the slideout in question?

I'm completely flustered. I hope my extended service plan has a clause covering therapy or counseling sessions...I may need it!!

George & Evangelia, 2013 42' Itasca Ellipse, toad: 2013 Nissan NV2500 cargo van with Harley trike inside (no, not sure it will work, but all the theory says it will).
GypsyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the Lippert system will be installed by manufactures until consumers start refusing to purchase motorhomes with them. They are far simpler by design which makes them far less expensive to purchase and install but only the manufactures benefit from this.

A few years back there were very few threads about slide issues, there were some, but nowhere like the amount we see today and now 99% are about Schwintek systems.

While these systems will work on a small slide they just are not robust enough for longevity on heavy or full wall units. I, for one, will gladly pay more for a coach with Power Gear or HWH mechanisms. Of all the problems we can have with our coaches, slides have to be some of worst.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout