Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
DW and I compromised. I was dead set on a Spartan chassis, I do the driving and maintenance. We agreed she could choose any box on that chassis she liked. She fell in love with a Travel Supreme and that worked great for 10 years. On our recent upgrade, again the Spartan Chassis and she choose the Entegra 42 RBQ. I go for handling, and she goes for comfort. It has worked well for us.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I have been on here for a while, lurking at first, then posting away!

I have asked so many questions and got amazing answers! My problem is that I know what I want (well mostly narrowed it down) but husband isn't convinced.

Anyone else have similar problems? How do you all come to an agreement?
Years ago, I had an active RV life, it was a blast. Then we had a baby and we tried to RV with baby stuff, no slide outs back then, it was difficult. We eventually gave up, maybe we shouldn't have but we were too busy with the baby and other aspects of life at that time.

I gave up on my ex too, but that's another long and boring story

My daughter is now in college, empty nest. Three years ago, I met the love of my life, we are engaged now and made the decision to buy a motorhome. It was interesting to go through together, we both had different ideas about what we wanted. She focused on the interior more than I would, I was not that interested in the fabric patterns of the valences covering the windows. She was not that interested in the chassis mechanics or the systems. Here's what happened.

We both agreed on key things about this purchase. We decided that we wanted to buy something we would want to keep for the next 10+ years. We agreed that we wanted a king size bed, an L-shaped living room facing an entertainment center. We didn't like booth dinettes or two facing sofas. So that allowed us to really hone in on what we wanted. The floor plan was our point of agreement. I relinquished all control over colors and decor, kitchen stuff or bathrooms. She was happy with that balance.

We looked for about a year, we visited 50 to 60 motorhomes, probably drove 6 different ones. Finally we decided on a single model (Tuscany 36MQ) and began to do price research. We reached agreement on a price with a local Camping World and they, at the last minute, reneged on the price, citing a model # mistake. We found the same unit at another Camping Word at the price we originally agreed to pay the 1st dealer.

We visited that dealer, drove the unit but she changed her mind. There was something about it she didn't like. She was concerned I would be upset (I was) but I told her that we both have to LOVE what we buy. She didn't love it. It was a quiet car ride home.

Back to Square One.

A new option appeared, the Tuscany 40EX had everything we wanted AND an extra bathroom. OK, now we both agreed. It was a 2013 left over, brand new and actually less expensive than we originally planned to spend. Small problem, it was 1000 miles away. And, if we went to visit, we weren't sure we both would like it. After traveling to Nashville, TN and spending time with the coach, we both agreed. We bought it.

It's a big commitment and we are making the investment together as we plan the rest of our lives together as well. We are glad we waited and happy to have chosen this particular model. We are driving out to TN 1st week of May for a week trip back home with our new MH.

Sorry for the long answer but you two seem to disagree and I feel your frustration. I hope you find a way to compromise, I know that in the end, you both have to love it and you will if you both make the decision... together.

Good luck with your research and please keep us all posted on your progress.

BTW, so many much of my decision making was shaped by the wisdom coming from these forums, thanks to everyone for being so helpful to us newbies!
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #17

From what I have seen and heard, I think your next issue is that the 2015 models prices are going up quite a bit.

Knowing that helped us make our decision last month to go ahead and get our new DP.
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
.....new.....not really interested
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #19

Two brother in laws had all these plans for when they retired. Both passed away from cancer before they got to live their dreams. That convinced me to pull the trigger. Have never looked back.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not new? We only ever have bought new. Latest floor plans and electronics and we get to choose some options and changes that make it ours. We never keep anything longer than 4 years and always get an extended warranty. Kids are 15 now, 1 TT one 5th wheel and on our second coach. Love our AC Spartan and cummins. Buy new but negotiate, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #21

Depreciation makes me sad, I just can't stomach it even at 35% off MSRP.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #22

Truth is we weren't planning on buying until a year from now. But I want to use one now. We want one equipped enough to full time in next calendar year but I want to use one now. A full time rig for us would be pricey therefore hubby isn't ready to spend the money. I understand completely but that doesn't stop me from hoping!

If I go back to work I want to put all my money into the RV so we can use one ASAP, weekends and holidays (I am a teacher)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #23

I think a lot of peoples problem is they buy more than they can afford. I think as soon as you drive it off the lot you should be able to sell it for what you owe. so if you can't afford a large enough down payment to do this you can't afford what you are buying.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 AM   #24

Everyone seems to be different in what they are willing to settle for and still feel good happy with their purchase. I learned a long time ago that what makes me happiest is not to splurge and be left with the feeling that I really didn't need this much. I, like everyone, looked at so many MH over the internet. seems like a saw everything that was for sale around the country. I don't like cheap things, no matter how small or big. I always seem to be happiest when I find a top of the line luxury item that is older and used, but has been kept like new. I drive a $50,000 Cadillac Eldorado which I bought for $8000 with a 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty on it. It was 14 yrs old when I bought it, but people think it is new it looks so nice and classy. People think I must be rich to drive such a car, when I actually paid less than they did for their little corolla or taurus or whatever.

Today I actually picked up my "new" MH. I was getting to the point that I was going to have to take out a loan to buy a newer used middle of the road unit. But time finally led me to the right choice. I paid $7500 for a vintage 1985 Vogue Elite 33' equipped with so much stuff from a Banks system and cb radio to air horn and spot light on top. It even has a dial to reset the timing while you drive in the mountains or whenever the gauge tells you it needs adjusting. It has twin rear axles, separate ice maker, and so much I could never remember it all. Best of all it looks like new almost and has been garaged its whole life. Totally kept up with even new air bags, fluids, hoses, belts, synthetic oil, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, dual thermostat central heating system, on and on.

All those things are nice, and I am sure I will spend a couple thousand dollars fixing it and modernizing it with the latest techno gadgets, but to know I own it and it is all mine and I still have money left over to add whatever I like to it, gives me more peace and lack of buyers regret than anything else, I would have gotten. I feel I will not be subject to depreciation at all and it will only be worth more as I add things to it....new TV, satelitte radio, a true steering device, etc. Insurance is only 11 dollars a month unless I want comprehensive, which I will add only when on the road.

I said all that just to show how everyone is different. Growing up poor, I still appreciate nice clean yet inexpensive things the most and appreciate things that have been kept like new and made well enough to last a lifetime, as we always had to do when I was young.

Buy whatever you feel will give you the most pleasure and leave you with a feeling that you didn't have to change your lifestyle or put a strain on your finances to be able to buy it.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a really hard time "Justifiying" a 2 year Class A over our used 05 that work just fine. Then I looked back at all the problems the 05 had, lack of amenities and more space the '11 had. Then selling the house would paid off the '11 with much $ left over to full time for 10 yrs. Then we decided to full time and can start working on the "Bucket List" we were ignoring. Glad I did it now. Getting rid of all the stuff is hard, but we were only using less the 25%. It was tying us down....
Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OP...

I'm hearing something that I think you and your husband really need to resolve before you go any further. That issue seems to be if he is as deeply invested in an RV future as you and if so, to what extent is he.

Please don't get me wrong. I've seen a lot of your posts and am cheering for you but there are about 2 over riding themes that I keep hearing.

1. Fear. That is normal but it seems to be overwhelming you and maybe your husband to such a degree I'm not sure you are thinking this out in a logical manner with all the factors on the table.

2. Goals. I'm just kind of wondering if you and your husband are looking at this from a common set of price/value, floor plans and long term goals. It sounds like you are really trying hard to buy your last MH first but I think I hear conflicting factors such as floor plan changes for the youngest one that might make this difficult.

I don't want to sound like some freaking marriage counselor or life style guru but I probably do. I'm too much aware of how I can run a tad head long into places where fools ought not tread. But, as I said, many of your posts seem to allude to or even out rightly point to different goals and concerns between you two. I'm not confident you tow have them sorted out. The LAST thing either of you wants it to put out a LOT of $$$$ into something and find it wasn't for BOTH of you.

Sorry if I sound preachy.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #27

You both need to decide on how much money you want to spend. It sounds like you know what you want but maybe not ready to buy yet. Keep looking and maybe you will find something you both can agree on. The more you look the more familiar you will become with Class A's. We took 5 years but that was because we were not ready to sell the house. We did tons of research and looked at probably over 1,000 different units. Also looked into maintenance and how much I would be comfortable doing. That may help the DH. You will eventually come together and make the leap. Many of the previous posts are great and keep them in mind.

Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had an agreement that we BOTH had to love everything about a MH in our price range or it was a no go. I know you are itching to go, but continue to be patient and you will find one that you both love. Good luck in your search.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote