Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

Anyone ever forfeit deposit on new coach

Just wondering if anyone has ever forfeited the deposit they made on ordering a new RV after deciding later they made a wrong/bad choice? We were kind of hurried into the order timing so we could get the RV before summer travel started and now the more we compare it to our current coach the more we realize just how much we're giving up in comparison to what we're gaining, other than everything being new.
I know it would be a terrific price to pay but not as much the price of the new one and with all the time a person would spend in the RV and disliking it every trip.
Probably won't refuse the new one, but the thought still lingers in the back of my mine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #2

You can always sell the new one to someone before you get it, for the down payment price and they pay the rest. You could even take a small hit on the down payment, so they feel like they got a great deal.
I seen an ad on another forum for someone wanting to buy a MH and would purchase new if necessary.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
No, but I did it on a car once. Got excited at an auction and bid on a car that was really wrong for me. I walked away from the deposit and felt like a fool at first, but now I feel good about it because it was the right thing for me to do at the time.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
What do you have and what are you moving into?

You may be having buyers remorse. Happens to a lot of people but goes away when you get the new one.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

You may be having buyers remorse. Happens to a lot of people but goes away when you get the new one.
Same question I was going to ask. You probably are having buyers remorse. Our dealer was really cool as he(owner) doesn't believe in not having a cooling off period. When we bought ours he didn't take any money until it was actually delivered and we saw/liked it. So we had the period where we went thru what you are going thru, but had no money in the game, just a handshake and our integrity(which is more important than money to me). The day we saw it the check was written and we had absolutely no buyers remorse from that point on.

So hopefully this will happen with you, when you see it you will dismiss all those doubts. There is always a potential to get the buyers remorse when you have to wait for something, it just gives you too much time to think about it and regret your decision. Go for it, I'm sure you put a lot of thought into your original decision and deserve what you bought. Good luck.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You are human. That day of absolute certainty will never arrive.

We ordered our new Winnebago View over the phone, sent $10K, we live in Fla, & flew to Iowa for delivery (never even drove a View before we owned one). In the 4 months it took to build, I probably lost sleep 20 nights. We have about 27K miles, and 18 mos of ownership -and-we are thrilled with our motorhome.

If you decide not to complete the purchase, most states will let you get your money back.

Good Luck with your Dillema.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
No, but I did it on a car once. Got excited at an auction and bid on a car that was really wrong for me. I walked away from the deposit and felt like a fool at first, but now I feel good about it because it was the right thing for me to do at the time.
I would like to ask what kind of car was it that you walked away?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

I tried it once. Sat night at closing put $1,000 down. Called first thing Monday morning to back out, willing to lose deposit. Sales manager said, "Look at the back of the contract, you will owe us 15% of the price if you back out."

It did say that. The next day I got a letter from their lawyer. I got a lawyer to fight it but also went on the forums for Winnebago and Fleetwood, their main brands. I also emailed and snail mailed presidents of both companies. And I complained to the state Attorney General.

After about a week, the Sales Manager called me, offering deposit back and more if I would back off. Apparently they were being deluged with email, mail and phone calls from forum people.

This was Indiana, and I have since been told to be careful with RV purchases in that state. It is very protective of its major industry. A neighbor had a bad experience with Lemon Law on a coach purchased in Indiana and was advised by his lawyer to never buy there unless it was delivered to Ohio where he lives.

Long story, short moral - Always read the fine print!
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has ever forfeited the deposit they made on ordering a new RV after deciding later they made a wrong/bad choice? We were kind of hurried into the order timing so we could get the RV before summer travel started and now the more we compare it to our current coach the more we realize just how much we're giving up in comparison to what we're gaining, other than everything being new.
I know it would be a terrific price to pay but not as much the price of the new one and with all the time a person would spend in the RV and disliking it every trip.
Probably won't refuse the new one, but the thought still lingers in the back of my mine.

What are you buying? How much is the deposit?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #10

I went to go look at travel trailers and nothing really struck us. Driving out of the lot we saw some 5ers never being in one we were kinda wowed. Next thing I know I'm giving them a deposit on my credit card for the new 5er on the lot. Went home and did some research found I could get it cheaper and closer to home. Called them to get my deposit back and they said no problem. I would have walked it was 1k and I would have saved more than that and found a dealer right in my home state that was fairly close.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I always make sure it says "deposit is 100% refundable"on any large purchase. Gives me time to research and make sure it's the right decision for me. If they won't put that on there, they don't get my money. Have done this on two cars and one motorhome, and got my money back within three days. For future reference.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I always make sure it says "deposit is 100% refundable"on any large purchase...
What's the purpose of a deposit if it's 100% refundable. This assumes the dealer is putting a "hold" on that vehicle and won't sell it while you do your research. What happens if another buyer walks in and offers cash to drive out with that rig?

When I sold my WGO View, I asked for a non-refundable deposit to take the rig off the market and not sell it to someone else while the buyers made arrangements to fly in. They had two weeks during which time they could have found another View closer to home and decided not to go through with our deal. If I had turned down a buyer during that time, I would have kept their deposit to "make me whole" on my lost deal.

Refunding a deposit in an emergency is the right thing to do but, if they can just change their mind and take a Mulligan, the dealer may as well not take a deposit and sell it to the next person who has the cash. If the buyer flies in and it's no longer available, too bad.

I think this falls under the heading, "Can't have your cake and eat it, too."
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Yep, we wrote out a check to pay off the DS to trade in for the Magna we're about to buy, we're both kind of having second thoughts now. The Magna is a lot fancier than our Dutch Star but actually has less storage space. But we've got half a dozen unused drawers in the DS. We went through the same thing when we ordered the present DS too! I think everyone goes through it!

Some people erroneously think there's a three day rescission period on purchases, there isn't in most states. There is a Federal law on that but it only covers sales made at a location other than the dealers lot showroom or other sales location. If you signed the contract at home then there is a three day rescission period and the paperwork should state how to go about doing it. We recently had the second half of our house resided. In the contract were all the instructions and papers to sign to do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I would like to ask what kind of car was it that you walked away?
It was a really cool 50's convertible that needed work. I realized that I had no place to keep it and I lacked the skills to restore it. I discussed this with the seller and he was happy to keep the car and my deposit.