Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Anyone ever replace their ceiling covering?

This is my third coach, a 2000 Dynasty 36. The ceiling in all three has been a material commonly called “Ozite”, which is a thin polypropylene, non-woven carpet fabric commonly used as outdoor carpet. Many, many posts have been devoted to how to clean this material. I have tried them all, and been as successful as anyone. I’ve been successful enough to be quite satisfied with the result. BUT NOT MY WIFE. And the “stains” always reappear, since they are not stains at all, but rather are dirt infiltrating through the Ozite from the cavity above the ceiling plywood, which was not sealed when it was installed. The Dynasty is a fiberglass-roofed coach.

Does this trouble me? No, not at all. But I find that making improvements to the coach that are meaningful only to the DW, always turn out to be in my OWN best interest. <G> So, before I begin, all you naysayers and predictors of motor home apocalypses resulting from making modifications that, in your purely personal opinion are not wise…please take Archie Bunker’s advice to Edith: “Stifle yourself.” Remember, I am the guy who replaces his own windshields, fabricates and machines cures for horribly “road wild” wandering coaches using NONE of the “accepted” methods, has installed his own residential fridge, and generally fears no job. I am a good carpenter, an extraordinary machinist, MIG/TIG/stick/gas welder, an electrician, cabinet-maker, plumber, and half-assed electronic troubleshooter. I just think that for every job that a dozen folks say can’t be done, there is always one who says, “Why not?” I do, however, welcome advice and opinions from those of you who genuinely wish to help me. Is it a big job? Almost surely.

Long story made short—I’m considering replacing (or covering over) the ceiling carpet with a thin FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) material that I have found at Lowe’s and have been using for several other projects. It is quite stiff, even though only about 1/16” thick. It has a nicely pebbled texture on one side, is totally waterproof, very easily cleaned, is available bright white and off-white, and comes in 4’ x 8’ sheets. The 4’ x 8’ sheets look like a good size to run transverse to the coach length. Were it not for one teeny-tiny complication, I would have already launched off into this project. The complication is getting it to fit and look good where it abuts all the overhead cabinets and cabinetry in the coach. It looks to me as if the best way to get this to look great and “OEM” is not to abut it to the cabinetry at all, but to slide it between the overhead cabinets and the ceiling plywood. That requires at least loosening the fasteners that hold the cabinets to the walls and ceiling of the coach. I would hope it would not require removing them.

So, my two questions are these: First, has anyone ever replaced their ceiling material? If so, please share your experience with me. Second, has anyone ever partially loosened a cabinet, or totally removed one?

Thanks in advance for all your constructive responses.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not going to be able to answer your question directly. Because I have not replaced my ceiling material. However as a person who has done a fair share of house remodeling I might offer an easier suggestion. I agree butting the material up to the cabinets wont look that good. However, butting it up to the cabinets and then get a piece of quarter round or even small crown molding to cover where it buts up to the cabinets would fix that. Get the quarter round or molding in the same material if possible if not at least get the same stain as the cabinets. But the new ceiling material up to the cabinets nail up the molding and no one will ever know it was not from the factory that way. If you use crown molding it might even enahance the look of the cabinets.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Van, if you don't mind I'll tag along on your post, to check the replies/advice you get. I have cleaned my ceiling and am faced with a similar project.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Well I have not yet, but I was thinking of using the same panels you are talking about. The roof leaked in back so the padded vinyl has dropped down. You would be surprised on what the builder was thinking. The rear bedroom has an overhead over the bed, so with the leak the screws were rusted a bit, because the screws went through some metal straps that were made in the ceiling panels. Also seemed as they put it together piece by piece as that is how I had to take it out. Panel by panel to find screws that was holding it in place. I have the ceiling cleared out now and will have to replace some of the wood and install some angle iron to re support the panels. This will give me some attachment points and will use some button covers to make it look good. Was thinking of using the padded material that I found but would have to figure out how to get it glued to the new wood panels.
Also just wanted to join this thread because being in same boat.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Wow! Positive responses! I'm impressed.

As far as the molding idea, that is still a possibility for me. Thanks! I did not mention it because I did not want to "steer" the discussion in any way. I would PREFER not to have the molding, and I have some areas where even the molding would be a difficult proposition, but I'm still open to it. The worst part of the molding installation might be small areas where the overhead cabinets do not butt together, and the molding would have to be handmade to go "around the corner" into a 2" wide void between two adjacent cabinets, and a radiused molding would have to be handmade. That's hard to explain in words, but I hope it makes sense.

And yes, even though my coach has miraculously had no leaks in its lifetime, the Ozite is still starting to "droop" in a couple of small areas where the adhesive has turned loose.

Still hoping someone can chime in who has had experience dropping or removing an overhead cabinet. The way cabinets are installed in houses, it would be fairly easy. I'm hoping the coach's cabinets are installed the same way, albeit much more sturdily than in my S&B house. I think the primary difference might be that the coach cabinets have a strip installed to hide the screws. I'll know soon...

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They make some molding which is called cove molding or even quarter round, which you could use to cover the place where it abuts the cabinets.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

Hi I was wondering what about the seams
aquarltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

The seams? I know I cannot make them disappear, but I'm planning to use some sort of decorative strip at each joint (48" apart) to cover the seam. My first coach had something like that on the ceiling. And I saw a new coach recently (don't remember the brand) that had something similar to that.

My job is made somewhat easier by the fact that this coach has a 3/4" plywood ceiling underneath the Ozite, so there is something to fasten to all over. There are no areas where there is not something that a screw can get hold of.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, I would like to see the pictures when you are done, I may have to do this soon.

John
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #10

I am planning a similar project. I am going to take 1/4 inch ply ripped to 24 inch width then cover with padded ultraleather. the sidewalls of my coach already have a crown moulding so I will remove the moulding, install the upolstered panels, reinstall crown moulding then install moulding at each seam accross the cieling. I also have been toying with the idea to stain and laquer the cieling panels that I am installing. At the same time I am upgrading the cieling lights to recessed halogen and the ac vents to something I can direct air better. I to would like to watch your progress for hints and ideas as I do mine.
I have seen the panels at Lowes that you speak of and DW does not like the look.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

I have fabric over foam has anyone ever used this material in this situation,
aquarltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #12

What if you bought vinyl and glues it to the plywood ceiling? You could easily trim very nicely around the cabinets. Only issue is that it wouldn't hide imperfections underneath it.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Lowe's should be stocking edging and joining strips for FRP. FRP is used in restuarant/food applications because it is waterproof and easily cleanable. Good luck with your project. It should turn into a good project.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Van,

Kate and I were talking about this exact subject earlier today. Our Ozite ceiling looks absolutely awful.

We were walking through a 2004 Dynasty a few days ago, and I was looking very closely at the ceiling. It was soft white vinyl. The vinyl sheets were 2' wide, and were installed transverse to the length of the coach. There were soft white vinyl joiner strips covering the seams. There were soft white vinyl strips covering the ends of the sheets at the cupboards, which intrigued me because this had to mean that the vinyl ceiling was installed after the cupboards were installed in this coach. Interesting.

Anyway. I have been wondering if it would be possible to glue a white vinyl ceiling over the Ozite.

I'm familiar with the white plastic sheets you're talking about from Lowes. In fact, I replaced all the inner covers on our basement doors with it. I'm not sure that you'd be happy with it on the ceiling.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, replace