Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone have bad luck with Michelin XZA2 tires?

My tires are in their eighth year of service and are pristine...not a single sidewall crack to be found.

I read something here recently that implied that the sidewall crack issue is not found on the XZA2 tires.

I'm just curious if anyone running the XZA2 tire has had the infamous sidewall crack issue.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

I replaced my Michelin XZA2's, last September, rears were teenagers and fronts 10 and had just started to show the side wall cracks. I probably should have replaced earlier , but found it hard to dispose of tires with 75%+ tread remaining.

I have no proof , but ; JMHO, I believe the country of origin of the tires , and year of production , are bigger factors in the sidewall cracking issue than the tires model .
All my tires had been produced in Spain.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My tires are in their eighth year of service .
A lot of tire experts say that tires could be ready for replacement when they are over 5 years old, regardless of how good the tread looks. Because of constant exposure to Heat, Cold, Road Chemicals and the Sun's Ultra Violet Rays, tires can start rotting after 5 years. The damage may not always appear on the surface of a tire, but it is what you cannot see that can hurt you.

Be careful with those 8 year old tires

From Michelins website:
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even
if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never heard of any problems with the XZA2's. I put two of them on the front a couple of years ago!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I had one 275/80/22.5 blow at 70,000 miles, 6 years old with not cracks at all, tread looked almost new. All six were checked by a Michelin dealer. I keep a good eye on my pressure and the load. It was the R/F and was a bugger to hold onto but all worked out well.
My theory is "It Just Goes to Show"
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, in fact up until late 20165 I had never even had a flat with a Michelin tire in all my years of driving even on my cars. Then, one week before my new Michelins came in I got one on the drivers outside rear. Not sure but I suspect someone didn't like where I parked on the street near a CW. But no way to tell. I drove some 10 miles on just three drive tires and they all looked good both inside and outside when off the rims.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Ours are 4 years old and just like new, I do spray them with Aerospace 303 as needed to keep them shiny
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what it is worth I have XZE2 tires that are 7 years old and look just like new.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My tires are in their eighth year of service and are pristine...not a single sidewall crack to be found.

I read something here recently that implied that the sidewall crack issue is not found on the XZA2 tires.

I'm just curious if anyone running the XZA2 tire has had the infamous sidewall crack issue.
My 2 cents worth....Michelin is the most over rated, over priced hunk of crap ever mounted to a RV/Bus rim. I refuse to pay almost $600+ per tire when a cheaper brand for around $350-400 per tire will do the same exact job. Nothing would bother me more than see a high dollar Michelin dry rotted with gobs of rubber left on the casing. I understand tires for our applications, in most cases, will dry rot before wearing all the tread off that's why I will not throw money away on junk Michelin tires.

Back to eating popcorn....
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
My Michelins style #WZA-2A size 295/80R/22.5 are 7 yrs old with 30,000 miles and cost $700 each. They are made in France and are all cracked in the side wall. I keep them covered and the coach has been weighted and I keep recommended air plus 5 lbs in each one. Maybe the Texas heat is too much for the tires made in France.
My next set will be Hankook #AH37's at $400 each. I have been using the Hankook's on my Jeep and get over 60,000 miles without ANY problems on several sets. Better than the original Jeep Bridgestone's . We run them on most of our oilfield service trucks & trailers without problems also.
No more high-dollar junk Michelins for my equipment. May be good for a eighteen wheeler trailer only.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptexas View Post
My Michelins style #WZA-2A size 295/80R/22.5 are 7 yrs old with 30,000 miles and cost $700 each. They are made in France and are all cracked in the side wall. I keep them covered and the coach has been weighted and I keep recommended air plus 5 lbs in each one. Maybe the Texas heat is too much for the tires made in France.
My next set will be Hankook #AH37's at $400 each. I have been using the Hankook's on my Jeep and get over 60,000 miles without ANY problems on several sets. Better than the original Jeep Bridgestone's . We run them on most of our oilfield service trucks & trailers without problems also.
No more high-dollar junk Michelins for my equipment. May be good for a eighteen wheeler trailer only.
Great choice. I'm in the trucking business and refuse Michelin tires. Over priced junk.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptexas View Post
Those are XZA-2A's not WZA's like Google spell-check changed to !!!
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #13

My Michelin XZE's were 12 when recently replaced. No sidewall cracking and even though they were not part of the "problem lists" I did not feel safe or comfortable while they were still on. After hearing and reading about the problems with Michelins and GY's I went searching for the smart route and it turned out to be the economic one as well! Going by suggestions from those in the trucking world and the tire world, I also went with Hankook AH37's. I'm completely happy with the decision and though they don't have many miles on them yet, I definitely notice an improvement in ride and handling!
Another big plus to these is they are 18ply and rated as load range J!
The rig is weighing more than the original weight rating (how many are not?) and I feel safer with these!
There were/are so many different opinions on here as to brand, sizing and performance. But, I figured that I am driving a Freightliner(truck) chassis! And...as one individual told me...."if it looks like a truck, feels like a truck and drives like a truck....it's a truck"!
After reading all about other's concerns about "China bombs", I considered all the other items I have bought that were "made in China" and the cheap materials that caused them to fail early and I ain't willin to risk it!
When will we learn?
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Just replaced 4 years old 2As as they were starting to crack and did not know their history...replaced with 315 Continental’s.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires