Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Anyone have experience diagnosing front windshield shade issues?

We have an Automotion motorized front windshield shade (black privacy only) that has stopped working. When we brought the RV back and parked it, DH tried to lower the shade, called me on my cell (I had gone inside the house) and asked why it wouldn't come down. I asked him if he still was running the engine, he said yes, I told him there was an interlock to prevent it. He turned off engine, but shade still won't come down. There is no manual for this thing, and nothing useful online as far as diagnostics. I really don't want to take the shade down until absolutely necessary (I don't see any way to just remove the shade roller portion without unscrewing the entire assembly), so I am hoping someone out there has some experience running diagnostics on these things. DH has changed what he thinks is the fuse for it. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Our front shade wouldn't go up. This youtube video shows how to reprogram. Not sure if yours is the same.

https://youtu.be/76yBTNDB6vU
Old 05-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
One of our Automotion front shades quit too. Using a circuit tester found power was getting to the shade motor (the switch worked). Took it to an Automotion "dealer" (easily found by using their website) and they confirmed it was a burned out motor.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

Ours did the same thing and I think it is most likely a burnt out motor. Not wanting to take it all apart, I haven't addressed it yet. I do not see the adjustor buttons that other brands say they have so I don't think our shades have any adjustment. I went online as we have no manual for them either, but didn't find what I was looking for.

What I did was manually roll the shade down to fully cover the window. It is easy to do and won't damage anything, just slowly turn it from the middle of the shade. When we travel I roll the shade up and attach three of those small bungee type cords with the ball on one end, one in the middle, and one on each end to hold it up. Although not the best, it only takes me about a minute to put it up or down, and it is held securely so it cannot fall down while driving.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine quit and I took the shade unit (2 shades)out of the RV and replaced the motor in the night shade. You can roll it down by hand a short distance and see if it will go back up. That will let you know that you have power to the shade.

There are several threads on the Tiffin RV network about replacing the Automotion shade motors. One person found that most likely the motor is good but that the electronics that control the limit switches goes bad. He bypassed the limit switches and the motor works fine. The only thing is that you just stop the shade when it get where you want it. You still have to remove the assembly from the RV and take the motor out.

Here is one of the threads. http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum...?f=119&t=80777
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote