Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Anyone have experience with Road King shocks?

The service writer at Premier RV in Tucson recommends Road King shocks over Koni's and Monroe. Does anyone have experience with the RoadKing product?
Also, experience with Premier RV service in Tucson Az?

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you'll get many answers. They're soooo expensive that you can't even get a price for them without calling.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
laj

check in the CC forums. several threads about them there.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #4

Never hear of them. A quick google showed 6 of them cost $1800???

I never had any luck with Monroe on any 1 ton truck or motorhome. I would stick with Koni, Bilstein or Rancho. I don't think Rancho makes Class A RV shocks, but I put the adjustable 9000's on my Class B and the ride difference was amazing.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

I put Road Kings on just under four years ago. They improved the handling while stopping some front end porpoising. These were the previous generation, and the new ones are even more robust.

Rigs with front IFS, will see the most improvement.

I do feel that Koni Adjustable or FSD's on the Drive and Tag, with Road King handling the IFS - could work well for those that want to save some coin.

I have not been to Premier, but I've read positive posts about their service. You might take a look at RV Service Review, and see what may be posted about them.

Best,
Smitty
Old 06-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

I have eight Road King shocks for one year now! The best shocks ever. The ride is awesome. 2000 Monaco Dynasty 40 foot two slides.
I was afraid because of price! Best money I have spent on the coach. I would do it again in a heart beat. Close your eyes! Spend the money you wont be sorry. I was not sorry.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our new to us Alpine has Road king shocks.
The ride is great.
Maybe slightly better than great.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

I have them on my 02 Country Coach. PO put them on so I can't say how much they improved the ride.
But I have received comments, from techs who are used to driving similar models, about how nice my rides. Last year I was at Source Engineering having a wax valve installed. After the owner drove my coach he commented that he would try and sell me the motion control valves that he installs as well. But, he said as nice as mine rides it wouldn't make any difference.
I contribute that to the Road Kings.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I junked the Konis that came on the coach and installed the Road Kings. A couple of months later, RK came out with a larger piston which I would like to have because I like a BMW ride. Just going to keep what I have.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

Since this has had more action, and as always things change, thought I'd share another bit of info!

I still have our 6 Road Kings, they were the previous generation vs the one Don mentioned that is just a bit bigger with different valving. (Suspect they will provide as much 'control' as like with the RK's I have, but also be a bit less stiff with the revised valving of the larger diameter.). I have no intentions of replacing my RK's!

That being said, Koni has brought over from Europe their EVO 99 shock. I first read about these being used on WRV's Alpines with very positive reviews. I suspect these will even provide a less jarring ride over expansion joints and or cracks, etc. - then the RK's, but will also provide a good stable ride too.

I've also read many times of people with CC's driving for thousands of miles with rear broken shocks without any noticeable difference in handling. So I wonder if the Koni Adjustable SP3's are a good option for the drives and tag portion, and then either RK's and or EVO 99's for the steers? This would be less expensive then either RK's or EVO 99's all around.

And remember that different size and weights and tag vs non tag coaches - will behave differently as far as handling is concerned. I did have Super Steers Motion Control check valves on our lines. And I did notice a difference in handling. But after talking with the Source Engineering gents, and understanding that their check valves control both ways (In/Out air flow. Where as MCU's only control in one direction.) - I went ahead and had them replace the MCU's while having the Wax Valve installed.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After this post came out and before a nine week trip coast to coast, I called Road King to see about shocks for the front of my 2014 Newmar XCR chassis with IFS. I had removed the OEM Sachs shocks from the front and installed Koni Adjustables because they don't make a Koni FSD for IFS, but saw no real improvement.

I called Road King and the salesman told me they sell them all the time for my coach and they were a great improvement. I decided to try a front set. When I agreed to purchase them, the salesman said he needed me to measure the length of my front shocks.....I should have known that he was full of baloney about selling them all the time.

I pulled one of the shocks off, measured eye to eye fully extended, gave him the measurement, and ordered the shocks. When they arrived, they were an inch too short and didn't fit. I had ordered them two weeks before our big trip and they took a week to ship. I called them back and got the same idiot salesman, who was apparently new. He argued with me that they were the correct ones. I asked him how he knew that since he had no idea which ones I needed initially. He finally admitted that they sent the wrong length.

Since they couldn't get e knew ones before my trip, I told them I would return the shocks unused and just wanted my money back.....that's when the problems started. Apparently, this new salesman didn't want to tell his boss he had screwed up the order and tried to convince me I need to wait for another pair, even though they would have to be made and shipped weeks later. I eventually asked to speak to his supervisor. The supervisor was surprised to hear there was an issue. It was still like pulling teeth to get them to authorize a return. I boxed them up and shipped them back and waiting days for a shipping level via email.

I tracked the package and ten days after they received them, still no credit. Another call and another story....finally about three weeks after I returned them, I got my credit.

They may be the greatest shocks on earth, but some of their salesmen are idiots.

With all that said, Koni came out with their EVO shock about two months ago. The problem with getting good quality shocks on IFS front ends is the short throw of the shock. The EVO's were made for the short throw and had a larger piston then their other shocks.

I installed the Evo's and FINALLY got what I was looking for.....something to tame the rough/harsh ride on the front of the Freightliner XCR tag axle chassis. I saw about a 50% improvement. I would equate the ride improvement to lowering the air in the front tires about 15 psi. I could hear a lot of potholes being traversed, but was no longer feeling them being transmitted through the front end.

In all honesty, it would have been nice to try the Road Kings to do a comparison, but it wasn't worth dealing with them again.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put the Koni EVO 99 shocks on the front of my Magna back in Sept. Yes, they were available that far back. Got them from Hendersons after they sent me an email advising me they had them in stock. They are much better than the Koni adjustables they replaced. Well worth the cost and trouble to install, which I did myself.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #13

On my first coach when i put road kings it was discovered the wrong shocks were installed at some time and the shocks were bottoming out .Had we used the shock dimensions it would have been a problem. Both coaches i put road kings on required center pin dimensions at road height just to be sure.I agree they have went through some growing pains as the second time was not as smooth as the first. The person that i have dealt with is Loni who i believe is in management and is who i would recommend contacting if there are any problems. There shocks are now OEM on a lot of rigs like newell so they are producing more. I have sent shocks down for no cost adjustment and fine tuning with no problems.I got a full report from the shock dyno for future reference.

Tags
shocks