Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #15

Further searching around the net led to the following article which is a good thing, I guess, regarding EPA smartway approval. This has to do with the model and correct size that I'd assume a motorhome would use:

Tire Review - Samson, Advance Gain Spots on SmartWay List

It also sort of confirms that it is a Chinese tire made by Guizhou Tyre Corp.

Guizhou Tyre Corp. has a North American distributor located in Canton Ohio which goes by the name of GTC North America Inc. clicky
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
We're still working folks with kids at home, so we don't spend lots of miles on the road. Thought about Michelins but way too expensive to sit in the yard or at the lake or small 1000 mile trips.
Looking for any experience with any of the Sampson brand tires- G load rating. Got a quote locally for 6 mounted/balanced $1455.00.
Don't want to waste the money if they are going to fall apart. My current tires are date code 03 and sidewall cracks apparent. (thanks Cliff)
Thanks in advance for suggestions
Ron
What size are you looking for Ron?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #17

Everyone has their own ideas, I guess. I'm buying 4 winter tires for my Class B. I priced them where I usually get tires, they came in at $810, mounted, balanced, etc. A special deal, they said.

I looked around the web, found this place. Their price includes shipping to an installer. The tires came to $580, free shipping, installation $80, total $660. I called the installer they said they'd be glad to do it.

The company is tirebuyer.com. Worked for me for smaller tires, don't know if they'd be any good for larger.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Have you looked at Toyo Ron?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #19

I'm not going to get into the "buy only Michelin or Goodyear argument" as we've had problems with Michelins (XRV blowouts) and our close friends have had their headaches with the Goodyear rivering and flat spot problems. So personally, we're open to exploring other brands, specifically the Japanese and South Korean brands. Sure, we'd prefer to buy American or at least a tire that is made in the USA but other factors will play into our next decision on tire purchases especially for the motorhome. The last set of car tires we purchased were Generals that have stamped "made in U.S.A." on them but we've also had several sets of tires that were made in Japan which we were very happy with.

Below is a thread in another forum about Samson. Read what the OP says in his opening post and in a subsequent post in the thread. It coincides with what a relative of ours who is in the tire business told us once about Chinese Tires and how truckers love them for their value (low price and longevity). They've actually come a long ways since they had so many problems some years back:

Samson 8R19.5 Tire Question

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #20

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My MH is sitting in the drive for the winter, we bought the pool instead of tires. Will have to get the tires this spring.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Further searching around the net led to the following article which is a good thing, I guess, regarding EPA smartway approval. This has to do with the model and correct size that I'd assume a motorhome would use:

Tire Review - Samson, Advance Gain Spots on SmartWay List

It also sort of confirms that it is a Chinese tire made by Guizhou Tyre Corp.

Guizhou Tyre Corp. has a North American distributor located in Canton Ohio which goes by the name of GTC North America Inc. clicky
Must be a fairly new thing then cause the DOT codes on many Samson tires show an Israeli origin.. Who knows, so many things have been moved to China..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I'm not going to get into the "buy only Michelin or Goodyear argument" as we've had problems with Michelins (XRV blowouts) and our close friends have had their headaches with the Goodyear rivering and flat spot problems. So personally, we're open to exploring other brands, specifically the Japanese and South Korean brands. Sure, we'd prefer to buy American or at least a tire that is made in the USA but other factors will play into our next decision on tire purchases especially for the motorhome. The last set of car tires we purchased were Generals that have stamped "made in U.S.A." on them but we've also had several sets of tires that were made in Japan which we were very happy with.

Below is a thread in another forum about Samson. Read what the OP says in his opening post and in a subsequent post in the thread. It coincides with what a relative of ours who is in the tire business told us once about Chinese Tires and how truckers love them for their value (low price and longevity). They've actually come a long ways since they had so many problems some years back:

Samson 8R19.5 Tire Question

Quote:
So after doing some more research on Samson tires, their distributor company is out of Ohio, Great Lakes Tire Company. Advance Tire is also made by Samson, or vice versa. The tires are made to stringent quality control...and by the way, they are ultimately owned by Michelin...go figure...who also owns Uniroyal, etc. Turns out that Advance Tires and Samson tires used to be made in Isreal. Now they are made in China.
Ta-Da...

BTW, Double-Coin use to make Michelin Truck tires, and will again soon.. In fact, Double-Coin had to slightly modify thier tread desighn because it was exactly the same as Michelin.. 'cause it was made on their machines Double-Coin kept in the divorce!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #23

Retreads

I have been running retreads on my Comm. truck for years. The retreaders will not use a casing that is not in perfect shape, and the new retreading process is far superior to the way it used to be done. You can save serious money. As always, inflating is the key to long life. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I just put 6 new Samson 295/75 R22.5's on my 2004 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom, 400 ISC, Allison, and drove about 4000 miles so far. They have worked very well and kept their pressure, and driving was just fine. I also contemplated the cost of the Michelins, almost twice as much, and I am now full timing it. The tire guy explained that any tire is going to check after any time outdoors or in the sun. I replaced Michelins with only 13k miles.....cost about $2600 for all 6.

Enjoy your coach...and I liked all the other replies...got some useful information regarding maintenance.
Dr Skully is offline   Reply With Quote