Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Anyone have this Safe T Plus problem?

Hello everyone! New to the forum here! I'll do the new member pleasantries post later as I'm in a little bit of a crunch. Installed my Safe T Plus steering stabilizer yesterday and ended up with what you see below (sorry about the sideways pics) Instructions say to tighten u-bolts on tie rod bracket to 30ft-lbs. This is what happened when I did. Called the company; the techs were already gone for the weekend (of course). The lady I spoke with (who was super nice by the way) asked me to use calipers and measure the tie rod. It measures 1.640 inches, which is slightly bigger than the 1 1/2 inches that she said it SHOULD measure. Wondering if the "larger" than expected (on Safe T Plus' account) tie rod could cause this? It wasn't that bad to install, but honestly, I don't want to take the thing completely back off until I have to. I won't be driving it until something is resolved. Anyone else had a similar experience? If so, what was the solution? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	176797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	176798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	176799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	176800  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

I must be blind but I am sure what is wrong in the pictures. What problem are you having?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

I agree. Maybe it is the sideways picture but I can't understand your problem. Maybe some new pictures or a written description of the problem.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

After reading your post 2x, I still don't understand what your question is. From what I see in the pictures it looks fine to me. There is a factory video on YT. Maybe watch it to help answer what you're struggling with.

marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

If your worried about the bent plate I wouldn't. It sure won't move!
300 lbs seems like a lot for that size u bolt.

Good luck

Pointrow
Edit to add. The u bolts spread because they were made for a smaller dia tie rod. I'm surprised the holes were wide enough to get the u bolts through.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

He said 30ft lbs not 300
Old 09-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

The plate looks like it was made with an angle. Look at the point at the bend and the characteristic of the bend....straight. There's a line that could be a few things: a scribe mark, a crack, or just a bending point from manufacturing. What does not look right is the angle of the u-bolt at the plate. It's not perpendicular and that is not good. I don't see a wedge washer on the nut side.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

I think you need to get your torque wrench recalibrated. It took a lot more than 30 to bend that plate. When I talked to STP few months ago they said don't over torque the nuts and bend it and if you do, they said it will continue to come loose. I would call and have them ship you a new plate.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

You don't really think that that plate got bent by those little u-bolts? That plate was bent by at least a 100 ton press. Those bolts would snap at about 60 ft lbs of torque.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

The plate is not as stout as it appears. STP says that their plate can be easily bent by over-torquing the bolts.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
The plate is not as stout as it appears. STP says that their plate can be easily bent by over-torquing the bolts.

That's a1/4 steel plate there is no chance those bolts bent it
Old 09-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

I think they sent you too small of u-bolts. This happened to me on my STP. The u-bolt legs should be parallel not spread apart. Those u-bolts are just muffler u-bolts. Go down to NAPA and by a couple of 1 1/2" u-bolts (or whatever the diameter of the tie rod is). I think they were less than $5 each. The proper size will slide over the tie rod without requiring the legs to be spread apart. It will only take a few minutes to replace the u-bolts, the other end is the more difficult part of the installation. If you have already done the fine position adjustment be sure to mark the u-bolt location on the tie rod to get the set-up back to pretty close.

BTW, the plate comes from the factory with the contour bend seen in the photos - I think allows for better clamping of flat plate to round tie rod.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
I think they sent you too small of u-bolts. This happened to me on my STP. The u-bolt legs should be parallel not spread apart. Those u-bolts are just muffler u-bolts. Go down to NAPA and by a couple of 1 1/2" u-bolts (or whatever the diameter of the tie rod is). I think they were less than $5 each. The proper size will slide over the tie rod without requiring the legs to be spread apart. It will only take a few minutes to replace the u-bolts, the other end is the more difficult part of the installation. If you have already done the fine position adjustment be sure to mark the u-bolt location on the tie rod to get the set-up back to pretty close.

BTW, the plate comes from the factory with the contour bend seen in the photos - I think allows for better clamping of flat plate to round tie rod.
Really? Because in the installation video it is flat.