Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #1

Anyone install a sliding tray in the rear compartment of a gas Class A?

The rear compartment of my Class A gas has a ton of room in the center between the frame rails that is hard to reach. The center section is also higher than the compartment that is just inside the basement door. Has anyone installed a slide to gain better access to this hard to reach volume? Any photos?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #2

The sliding trays really help with access to things you need all the time. Track just bolts thru the bay floor so not hard to install. One thing to remember is max height of items stored in tray is limited by height of underside of frame rails stuff needs to slide under.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Thought I would add a photo of the area I am asking about since it is hard to explain.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
The sliding trays really help with access to things you need all the time. Track just bolts thru the bay floor so not hard to install. .

Another way to mount rails without drilling through the center section (a bear of a job) would be to use L-brackets bolted to the rails before install, that could then be attached with sheet-metal screws to the sides of the compartment walls.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have wondered about this also. I'm not sure if there is enough room in the opening for the tray to come out with things in it.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
This is on my to list for the fall.
This is what I have come up with making it out of wood:
1. Divide the box into two units, this will also divide the weight of the unit and not require building a metal structural box to keep it light.
2. A pull down front edge so items can slide out under the compartment door, with a lock to secure complete unit in place while under way.
3. Hinges must be on the side, not flat under the unit to maximize weight carrying capability of hindges.
4. Boxes constructed out of 3/4 x 6" maple with a floor of 1/4" plywood
5. Full extension soft close slides
The rest will be trial and error and measure twice cut once. I'll take pics as I go to post here.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

Anyone install a sliding tray in the rear compartment of a gas Class A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrB View Post
I have wondered about this also. I'm not sure if there is enough room in the opening for the tray to come out with things in it.

I know, there isn't much room. Very large space, very difficult to utilize. I was hoping someone figured out a good solution. I was wondering about one of those rolling containers designed to go under the bed.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Hi---i made up out of aluminum plates slide out trays ( 3 of them ) and used heavy duty rails with L shape brackets and rivet them to the floor with real heavy rivets and used 1 1/2 aluminum strips around the main plates which were rivet on and it came out real good and looks like a bought unit --------the only mistake i made which i fixed now is one of the slides having weight on them slide open and even opened the compartment door ----terry in thunder bay ontario
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I made a grid system out of PVC pipe that sits on top of the compartment floor. I made some cells to fit what I carried. After that I made the rest of the cells to fit tubs. The way it came out everything stays put and does not slide around.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I made a grid system out of PVC pipe that sits on top of the compartment floor. I made some cells to fit what I carried. After that I made the rest of the cells to fit tubs. The way it came out everything stays put and does not slide around.
That's an interesting idea. Doesn't alleviate the access problem but should keep things in place for those items infrequently used.

Tags
class a, gas, install