Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #29

Papaw1

That does look nice, wish i had enough room to do ours right there, not sure my slide will go past it, it's a pretty tight fit on ours.

Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #30

prep for fire place

I have installed a fireplace in fifth wheel and it worked well. I recommend pulling a new #12 wire for the fireplace from the electric panel. Most of the existing wiring is #14 and I don't like adding the 1500 to 1800 watt load to the #14 wire.

Dave

Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
I have installed a fireplace in fifth wheel and it worked well. I recommend pulling a new #12 wire for the fireplace from the electric panel. Most of the existing wiring is #14 and I don't like adding the 1500 to 1800 watt load to the #14 wire.

Dave
You will not find any 120V electric fireplace, or electric space heater, that draws over 1500 watts....(which is 12.5 amps at 120V).
14 ga wire has no problem with 15 AMPS.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #32

#14 wire

The problem is not the #14, it is all the other stuff that is on that line that you are going to hook your fire place to unless you go back to the panel.
Just my two cents worth.

Dave
Old 02-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO, an electric fireplace is nothing more than a a fake fireplace...(personally, I have a lot of other ways to waste my time and $$).
However, if an expensive fake fireplace that eliminates storage space and heats no better than a $20 1500 watt space heater, "trips your trigger" go for it.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks for your concern!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe the reason for the advice to run new wiring was mentioned as power off of the inverter panel. My allegro bus only has a couple of outlets that are not on the inverter power supply. I can tell you from experience a 1500 watt heater of any type will trip the breaker on my 2500 watt inverter. The advice was sound unless the OP has a non inverter receptacle by the place he is going to plug in the fire place. My 5er had a built in electric fireplace and it had a seperate breaker for it in the panel.

The real fireplace Idea is interesting. I cannot do it because i do not have a floor plan that would lend itself to a fireplace. However for those of you that are thinking about this I would like to offer an expensive solution. In my stick and brick home i have a pellet stove fireplace. Looks like a regular fireplace we framed out an area for it. Has a mantle looks like a real fireplace. It is a zero clearance device so it can go against the wall. The exhaust is 3 inch double wall pipe like you use to vent hot water heaters. Runs off of 115vac not sure what the current draw is but will be close to what a 110 volt electric water heater is because of the igniter. Mine has a thermostat which has setback capabilities. It will burn corn, wood pellets, certain types of grass pellets. several different things actually. The burn area is totally sealed. and has an exhaust fan to push CO out of the chimney. It says it will hold a 40 pound bag of pellets but it has to be empty and you have to push them down to compact them to get one in. The thermostat auto ignites the pellets so it only has to burn when you want heat. No pilot lights or coals to deal with. Self cleans and the ashes are put in a ban at the bottom which is easy to get out and empty. The pellets are in a bag so no fuss or muss and best of all for a wood burning product when it gets too hot you can lower the thermostat and let the heat die down. I have a wood stove in the living room and the pellet stove in the bedroom the pellet stove is by far the easiest to operate. My bedroom suite is about 600 square feet. We leave all of the heat off in the house when we leave during the winter. When we get home we turn the pellet stove on first. If it 27 degrees outside it will have the room warm in less than a half hour. It will have no problem heating a motor home and the glass front lets you see a real wood flame.

The only drawback I did mention they were not cheap did I not.

We have the Mount Vernon AE but i do notice on this page they have some smaller ones that are cheaper and would be a smaller footprint in your MH
http://www.quadrafire.com/Browse/Ins...-Inserts.aspx#
Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #35

Gemini
EXCELLENT idea, never thought of a pellet stove! Someting like this;
US Stove 1000 sq. ft. Wall-Mount Direct Vent Pellet Stove-4840 - The Home Depot Would get your rig hotter than a Chernoble reactor core!
I'd seriously think about such a heater but we are selling the house & heading S.W. in the rig!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #36

Well..it's coming together. I tore the cabinet apart and rebuilt it. I'm building a sub woofer cabinet for the end. I have to make it a separate box so it doesn't rattle the fireplace. I found a non-inverter 110 plug in the bathroom under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150219_195228.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	86513  
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Well..it's coming together. I tore the cabinet apart and rebuilt it. I'm building a sub woofer cabinet for the end. I have to make it a separate box so it doesn't rattle the fireplace. I found a non-inverter 110 plug in the bathroom under the sink.
Looks great; y'all are going to love it.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look great

It will be worth the effort.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
I'm wanting to install a 28" wide to 32" wide electric fireplace insert in our motorhome but all I can find only has a 2 plus speed heat setting and not a real thermostat that will hold a constant temperature. Anyone found one with a real thermostat without costing a stupid amount?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my "custom" fireplace install which lasts for about 3 hours. Then just hit replay.

I always use full-screen to get the best comforting effect.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Electric Fireplace

We installed an electric fireplace in our Keystone 5'er. It had cabinets in the opening from the factory but was wired with a dedicated circuit for the fireplace. Found one on line that looked good as well as had dual heat settings 750/ 1500 plus 3 fan speeds and thermostat. Haven't really had a chance to use it yet but it does work off our power inverter on 750 watt setting. Hope to be able to set the thermostat low and on the 750 watt setting so as to conserve on propane on the cooler nights. Am anxious to see how that works out.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
I'm wanting to install a 28" wide to 32" wide electric fireplace insert in our motorhome but all I can find only has a 2 plus speed heat setting and not a real thermostat that will hold a constant temperature. Anyone found one with a real thermostat without costing a stupid amount?
they are out there.. but really expensive. I was going to see how it works without one, then if needed, install one.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, replace