Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandKaren View Post
Thinking of trading in our 06 Newmar 4 slide Ventanna 3936. Does anyone know of a large gas coach that's suitable for full timing? Just wondering...
Thanks, Ken McCormack

Hey Ken,

Bet you wish you could unpost this question. I fear I contributed to the fray by asking your goals for a trade since it appears you have a pretty nice full timing coach. You already have 40' and 4 slides so it's certainly not more room. As someone else mentioned, if you are looking for a general makeover, you can go to a interior remodel company and do some major work for a small fraction of what you would lose in a trade.

Sorry if we aren't helping but let us know what you are trying to accomplish.

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

Full time

I can easily see fulltiming it in our Tiffin 36LA. Lots of room and tons of storage in and out.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Check out Newmar's Canyon Star line.

Also check out Thor's customer satisfaction.
Even our '02 DSDP isn't rated for full time use even though that's what we bought it for. So I doubt the CS line is although Newmar could have upgraded the line by now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

I can't help but wonder if the OP is watching this and laughing. ..... just sayin'
Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Do I really have to list all the amenities a diesel pusher has that a gas motorhome does not have? Really?
Yes,that would help.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
Yes,that would help.
Wouldn't it just be easier to Google it and find out?
Or stop by a dealer and ask.
Then one could see the difference.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #21

LA Gulf Coast Campers
We have a Canyon Star 3953..... lots of room.... plenty of storage.... great floor plan (for us)....we only use it about 2 weeks each month, but would have no qualms about full timing in it.
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Thinking of trading in our 06 Newmar 4 slide Ventanna 3936. Does anyone know of a large gas coach that's suitable for full timing? Just wondering...
Thanks, Ken McCormack
Wow, I'm fulltime...Now I'm second guessing my resent "upgrade" from a 2003, 30ft no slide, gasser, Thor Hurricane....to an older 2001 38ft, Monaco Dynasty, 370 hp, two slides, with all the bells and whistles. The Dynasty even has more miles (64,000)than the Hurricane did(35,000). Up...down...sideways...I guess its all in how you look at it. I would have traded mine for yours even-steven. Too late...I already did the deed!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #23

KenandKaren, definately look at the Canyon Star series, we have the 3610 and you could definately full time in any of the Canyon Star models. Ours has the bath and a half, 4 door fridge, larger hot water heater, lshaped couch, fireplace, and three tv's, and more storage than we need...not sure what other "amenities" are a must, but I don't think going to a gas model is "moving down" as some have refered to. I think diesel vs gas is a matter of opinion and what someone is looking for in what they really need in a MH. Newmar puts the same quality build into the Canyon Star as they do the "higher end" diesels. We actually prefered the floorplan of ours to the Ventanna that was similary equiped for about $90,000 more. The gas engine gets you there just fine and when you are "there" you are still living in the lap of luxury compared to others in any of the Canyon Star gas models.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #24

Wondering if the OP has had a lot of expensive chassis issues and is looking to gas to reduce expenses.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks, Ken McCormack
Why? I full time in a 96 gas Mountain Aire. I just can't imagine trading that in. 38 feet of comfort. The only thing that gives me pause is the f53 Ford motor and chassis. The fuel pump was a problem getting changed, but even then I couldn't imagine getting rid of my Newmar, Ford not so much.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #26

We don't full time but could easily in our Canyon Star. Like Mike says, 1 and a 1/2 baths, an electric fire place that will heat the whole coach, huge refrigerator, plenty of storage, plumbed for washed/dryer if needed, plenty of power and lots of nice standard items. This is my 6th mh. 1st 3 were gas, then 2 dp's and now back to gas with no regrets. My last dp was a Winnebago Journey that served us well but it was time for a new one and couldn't justify the extra 100k for a dp. The diesels aren't all that special other than bragging rights . And I didn't want an extra 15,000 lbs to drag around.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Why? I full time in a 96 gas Mountain Aire. I just can't imagine trading that in. 38 feet of comfort. The only thing that gives me pause is the f53 Ford motor and chassis. The fuel pump was a problem getting changed, but even then I couldn't imagine getting rid of my Newmar, Ford not so much.
I think that the OP's question is valid and some of the answers kinda...stupid.

Let's not get all hung up in upgrade-downgrade belly bumping contests.

To the OP...

I believe that FT in a gasser can be done quite successfully if you want it to. I can't speak for other brands but it is my understanding that Newmar gassers, like their DPs, tend to have better overall insulation than some other brands. For ME, if that was true, I would concentrate on Newmar or other brands that don't skimp on that feature.

The other issue is GVWR and NCC/CCC. There is another thread on this issue specific specific to the Newmar Canyon Star that is worth looking at.

In the majority of cases a DP will generally have better amenities but to what degree is very subjective to some. That doesn't mean gassers can't be quite nice.

Where gassers seem to be less well equipped appears to me to be in some of the house systems. The tend to have smaller generators and if you like a hydronic heating system I suspect they are few and far between. By virtue of their lower GVWR and avoiding abysmal NCC/CCC capabilities they have to keep the weight of the house in check. Less fuel, less propane, smaller water/waste tanks and such. Loading of the rear axle is something to watch for if you want to carry full water and lots of stuff.

Also basement configurations are clearly different. DPs, as you know, have lots of pass through while gassers don't. While I liked my Winnebago Adventurer's basement compartments being attached to the slide for easy access, they could be limiting.

If the utmost comfort of driving is important DP will ALWAYS be a better ride than a gasser. That doesn't mean a gasser has to be a bear to drive but nothing makes up for the stability that the weight of a DP puts on the wheels.

IMHO...without knowing more about why you are looking at a change, your Ventana could be a very solid choice to retain. However...again...that is without any further background info on why. As at least one post mentioned, upgrading or refurbishing your coach could actually save you a lot of money down the road.

In the end, for Sandee and I, after trying a nice 39' Adventurer and finding it didn't hack it for US, I would not go back to a gasser based on OUR needs. There were several reasons why it didn't work but for the most part it was because it didn't do what we hoped it would. The only sour note on that coach was we found the basement air conditioning was NOT going to work well enough for us. (Others have had better luck so that is still "subjective".) YOUR needs/wants are not up for us to debate because they are YOUR'S!

Perhaps listing a few of your needs/wants and thoughts on why you are looking at a gasser will help us SUPPORT your future choices instead of belly bumping over our personal choices.

Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Do I really have to list all the amenities a diesel pusher has that a gas motorhome does not have? Really?

Pasdad, Where did you go? I too would like to take you up on your offer to explain the clear advantages of diesel over gas in terms of full timing.
This type of belly bumping will be helpful to the OP if he ever comes back..
You can use my loaded 36la as a gasser example...

Tags
gas