Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #29

Anyone know of a gas coach for fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier to Google it and find out?

Or stop by a dealer and ask.

Then one could see the difference.

X2. Good answer.

Trying here not to step on toes here.... Or fuel the argument further....but if the question is sincere - I will leave this thought.....

I took the figures from Newmar's 2006 brochures on Dutch Star and Kountry Star(gas).

The UVW figures represent the weight of the vehicle as built at the factory, not including water, cargo, LP gas.

The Dutch Star diesel pushers have UVW weights 8,000 - 12,000 lbs greater than the gas motorhomes. This is because everything on a diesel pusher chassis is heavier duty than the chassis with a gas engine. Also because the diesel can carry the weight, the interior construction can use heavier components.....I.e. Solid wood as opposed to lighter, construction in cabinets, doors, walls, etc. heavy metal brackets, door pulls, plumbing fixtures, the list is endless...

In short, you are getting up to 12,000 lbs of "stuff" that many times you are not aware of until you examine the details.....and its this heavier duty construction that usually makes everything hold together better over time, and also stand up to full time use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #30

Sky Boss - I'm So glad you found my post "stupid". My whole point was without further info, hence the "Why" in my post, There's no answer to their question.

Have a wonderful day.

Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #31
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
X2. Good answer.

Trying here not to step on toes here.... Or fuel the argument further....but if the question is sincere - I will leave this thought.....

I took the figures from Newmar's 2006 brochures on Dutch Star and Kountry Star(gas).

The UVW figures represent the weight of the vehicle as built at the factory, not including water, cargo, LP gas.

The Dutch Star diesel pushers have UVW weights 8,000 - 12,000 lbs greater than the gas motorhomes. This is because everything on a diesel pusher chassis is heavier duty than the chassis with a gas engine. Also because the diesel can carry the weight, the interior construction can use heavier components.....I.e. Solid wood as opposed to lighter, construction in cabinets, doors, walls, etc. heavy metal brackets, door pulls, plumbing fixtures, the list is endless...

In short, you are getting up to 12,000 lbs of "stuff" that many times you are not aware of until you examine the details.....and its this heavier duty construction that usually makes everything hold together better over time, and also stand up to full time use.

While CCC may be a consideration for the OP, it has no bearing on the size of door handles or amount of wood. Newer Nice gassers have all this albeit with a lower carrying capacity, in some cases. Many later model gassers have many options previously reserved for DPs. I believe, as always, floor plan, options, and budget rule the decision process. Simple as that.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are full timing in a 2004 36" National Dolphin LX. It is built for 4 season living and we find it very functional and pretty comfortable. If I could have found a 35' DP with decent sized tanks in our price range ($50k) I might have bought it. But the Dolphin is decent and I paid cash for it. Do not want payments. Yes DPs "last forever" but I will not and so that is not a significant factor for me. My gasser goes up and drives down hills and mountains just fine... not underpowered.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The never-ending Urinary Olympics between gassers and diesels are kinda funny but also ho-hum. Reminds me of PC users and Apple users going back and forth endlessly. We each buy what we like, for whatever reasons.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #34

Anyone know of a gas coach for fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think that the OP's question is valid and some of the answers kinda...stupid.

Let's not get all hung up in upgrade-downgrade belly bumping contests.

To the OP...

I believe that FT in a gasser can be done quite successfully if you want it to. I can't speak for other brands but it is my understanding that Newmar gassers, like their DPs, tend to have better overall insulation than some other brands. For ME, if that was true, I would concentrate on Newmar or other brands that don't skimp on that feature.

The other issue is GVWR and NCC/CCC. There is another thread on this issue specific specific to the Newmar Canyon Star that is worth looking at.

In the majority of cases a DP will generally have better amenities but to what degree is very subjective to some. That doesn't mean gassers can't be quite nice.

Where gassers seem to be less well equipped appears to me to be in some of the house systems. The tend to have smaller generators and if you like a hydronic heating system I suspect they are few and far between. By virtue of their lower GVWR and avoiding abysmal NCC/CCC capabilities they have to keep the weight of the house in check. Less fuel, less propane, smaller water/waste tanks and such. Loading of the rear axle is something to watch for if you want to carry full water and lots of stuff.

Also basement configurations are clearly different. DPs, as you know, have lots of pass through while gassers don't. While I liked my Winnebago Adventurer's basement compartments being attached to the slide for easy access, they could be limiting.

If the utmost comfort of driving is important DP will ALWAYS be a better ride than a gasser. That doesn't mean a gasser has to be a bear to drive but nothing makes up for the stability that the weight of a DP puts on the wheels.

IMHO...without knowing more about why you are looking at a change, your Ventana could be a very solid choice to retain. However...again...that is without any further background info on why. As at least one post mentioned, upgrading or refurbishing your coach could actually save you a lot of money down the road.

In the end, for Sandee and I, after trying a nice 39' Adventurer and finding it didn't hack it for US, I would not go back to a gasser based on OUR needs. There were several reasons why it didn't work but for the most part it was because it didn't do what we hoped it would. The only sour note on that coach was we found the basement air conditioning was NOT going to work well enough for us. (Others have had better luck so that is still "subjective".) YOUR needs/wants are not up for us to debate because they are YOUR'S!

Perhaps listing a few of your needs/wants and thoughts on why you are looking at a gasser will help us SUPPORT your future choices instead of belly bumping over our personal choices.

Good Luck!

Cudos SkyBoss. This is an intelligent, well thought out post.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Sky Boss - I'm So glad you found my post "stupid". My whole point was without further info, hence the "Why" in my post, There's no answer to their question.

Have a wonderful day.
HMMM...did I say YOUR post was stupid...I think I said SOME of them are. If you read my post I think you would see that I am thinking the PD vs Gasser "belly bumping" debate is out of line and maybe stupid when it comes to helping the OP. There is nothing wrong with listing a fair list of pros and cons but a couple folks seem to be in a direct confrontation that is of no help to the question at had.

In fact, I think I echoed your question on the "why". See 3rd from end paragraph starting with "IMHO".
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #36

Many of us are perfectly content with our gassers and have no desire to own a diesel. Some of the reasons I went back to gas.

initial cost

cost of fuel

cost of maintenance

floor plan

new diesels have less power than 06 and older and I don't want to mess with the DEF

gas is very quiet except on hills, not an issue since very little time is spent on hills

I like to leave campgrounds early in the morning. Starting a diesel to air up wakes everyone within 500'
I can start my gas and nobody knows it's running.

passengers can be in the rear of the coach and don't need to listen to the
noisy diesel engine

15K lbs less weight to drag around

I get the same 8 mpg as my previous dp's

the new 24/26k F53 chassis' rides and handles great and goes up hills better than my dp

huge 4wheel disc brakes stops better than the dp drum brakes.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Purchase a 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P on a Ford V-10 with F-53 Chassis and you will live beautifully in it.

The full wall slide is super along with the stacked washer and dryer and sleep number bed. All the amenities plus it is a WINNEBAGO!!!!

: dance:
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post

Have a wonderful day.
In rereading your post and then mine. I now realize why you where offended and said this.

My quoting you was intended to agree with your point of asking the OP "why" to better understand what they wanted instead of rehashing the whole DP VS. Gasser stuff. I poorly applied the quote feature.

I apologize for the mistake.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I would note that "full timing" is a general term without a singular definition. Living in one or two campgrounds a year, or traveling thousands of miles annually in your "home" and everything in between are described as full timing. The requirements and personal preferences vary greatly for the different lifestyles although the central point is living in an RV.

The OP's question and the DP vs gas discussion is pointless and redundant without detailed information about the intended use and expectations. Only then can constructive and informative discussion occur and address the OP's original question.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #40

Rodz..X2 re the personal opinion to go with the gas engine, and the quality and ability of the gas MH. I don't see giving an opinion as "belly bumping" if nobody gave their opinion or shared their knowledge than this forum would be worthless. But when people put down one fuel type or brand over the other, that is not productive conversation.

Pasdad1...your only misinformation is that you are comparing MH's that were built 8 years ago, in the last 8 years Newmar as well as other brands have really upgraded the builds on the gas MH's due to the market. I would bet if you looked at the newer models you would see the same quality build in the gas model as the diesel and they are built to carry the weight. It all boils down to need and preference and only the person spending the money can make that decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Rodz..X2 re the personal opinion to go with the gas engine, and the quality and ability of the gas MH. I don't see giving an opinion as "belly bumping" if nobody gave their opinion or shared their knowledge than this forum would be worthless. But when people put down one fuel type or brand over the other, that is not productive conversation.

Pasdad1...your only misinformation is that you are comparing MH's that were built 8 years ago, in the last 8 years Newmar as well as other brands have really upgraded the builds on the gas MH's due to the market. I would bet if you looked at the newer models you would see the same quality build in the gas model as the diesel and they are built to carry the weight. It all boils down to need and preference and only the person spending the money can make that decision.
There's a reason gassers out number diesels hundreds to one
Old 10-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
And Kia's out number corvettes.
What's the point?

Tags
gas