Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #57

52.3% percent of people would buy a new DP if money wasn't an issue. Just sayin'.......or was it 53.2%.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I have what I have because I like it, you have what you have because you like it, if you don't like what I have then I don't give a rats rectum what you think so just be happy and go camping.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #59

Well the OP hasn't checked back in and there has been some great RV suggestion to his question, but also a whole lot of BS too. Guess I'm done with this thread!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #60

I can't full time in my gasser but I do half time and then the other half time is on my 60 foot motor yacht and IT'S DIESEL!

Would you DP guys be OK with this arrangement?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I can't full time in my gasser but I do half time and then the other half time is on my 60 foot motor yacht and IT'S DIESEL!

Would you DP guys be OK with this arrangement?

ONLY when you are on the yacht.

Sorry I just could not resist, and I own a gasser. . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandKaren View Post
Thinking of trading in our 06 Newmar 4 slide Ventanna 3936. Does anyone know of a large gas coach that's suitable for full timing? Just wondering...
Back to OP . . .

Like a previous poster said, there are plenty of gas Class As (as well as Class Bs, Cs, 5th wheels, etc) that you could select for full timing.

However, if you have never owned a gas Class A, then I'm sure people have told you that the ride is different -- typically, "different" in a bad way.

I traded my gas Class A for a DP, but I would never trade my DP for a gasser. However, I know plenty of folks who drive the country in gassers, and they seem happy.

Nevertheless, I'd only take advice from people who have owned both kinds.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Back to OP . . .

Like a previous poster said, there are plenty of gas Class As (as well as Class Bs, Cs, 5th wheels, etc) that you could select for full timing.

However, if you have never owned a gas Class A, then I'm sure people have told you that the ride is different -- typically, "different" in a bad way.

I traded my gas Class A for a DP, but I would never trade my DP for a gasser. However, I know plenty of folks who drive the country in gassers, and they seem happy.

Nevertheless, I'd only take advice from people who have owned both kinds.
And what year was the last gasser you owned? 1970's?. So much has changed so I would not expect a realistic answer from someone preaching with an 01 DP. (sorry I could not resist after seeing your signature) I'm sure you have a very nice unit.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #64

My conclusion to this is that if money is no object , than yes DPs have several advantages over gas. More power , better ride, longevity, etc. If those things aren't an issue, & you don't have unlimited funds, than a gasser is probably more than adequate .
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #65

I agree with Dezolen, I would rate my ride and handling right up there with some of the diesels I have been in. The 2015's are out now and there have been some huge changes in the gas MH's, I wouldn't base all my decisions on how MH's were built even 5-10 years ago. The maintenance is easier on a gas MH and I can do most of it myself. I really don't need to worry about how hot my engine is or the other things that seem to affect the power and running of a diesel, so I have peace of mind with the gas engine. So far I have either held my own or passed other diesel MH's on grades. My choice really had nothing to do with cost moreso than the floorplan, and how we intend on using it. Most likely not to live in but be able to take a several month trip and be comfortable.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
And what year was the last gasser you owned? 1970's?. So much has changed so I would not expect a realistic answer from someone preaching with an 01 DP.
My last gasser was a 2004 SeaBreeze with a Workhorse W-22 chassis (22,000 pound GVWR) with a 340HP 8.1L Vortec with 455 ft/lbs of torque.

The other gas chassis choice at that time was a Ford F chassis (20,500 pound GVWR) with a 310HP 6.8L Triton V10 with 425 ft/lbs of torque.

Both chassis had leaf spring suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I agree with Dezolen, I would rate my ride and handling right up there with some of the diesels I have been in. The 2015's are out now and there have been some huge changes in the gas MH's, I wouldn't base all my decisions on how MH's were built even 5-10 years ago.
Your 2014 Newmar Canyon Star is built on a Ford F chassis (24,000 pound GVWR) with a 362HP 6.8L Triton V10 with 457 ft/lbs of torque.

So in 10 years your gas chassis can carry 2,000 more pounds (a very good thing), but with only an increase of 22HP and 2 ft/lbs of torque -- plus the suspension is still leaf springs.

However, you can still add air suspension if you're tired of your Ford F-53 chassis motorcoach beating you and your coach to death.

I think you're confusing quality with bright and shiny.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandKaren View Post
Thinking of trading in our 06 Newmar 4 slide Ventanna 3936. Does anyone know of a large gas coach that's suitable for full timing? Just wondering...
Thanks, Ken McCormack
This is the topic of the thread let's quit beating all these other dead horses.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #68

Boy did I start something I didn't mean to!!! Anyways, our 8 year old coach is having problems with the Attwood Level Legs, the board that is bad (according to Attwood) is now obsolete and can't get it any more. My so called ext warr won't cover replacing the whole system due to obsolescence of any part of the sys. But,...thanks to iRV2, I may have found a place that can fix the board.
But also, the cost of fuel is one consideration. After talking it over with DW, we will prob keep the coach. Just did new carpet thruout, new recliners, new tires. So....
But thanks so much folks, you really helped.
Ken McCormack
Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #69
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas