Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Anyone know where to get aftermarket fuel pump for gas Onan

Hello all,

I see there is lots of talk about gas Onan Marquis Gold generators. I have a 5500 unit that is shutting off intermittently. Have found it isnt getting fuel when it does shut down and the fuel pump doesnt appear to be running when switched to prime (by sound, feel, or checking bowl drain).

Unit will restart after a while and could run for another 3 minutes, or 2 hours. Just never know. Always shuts off the same way, choppy, cutting out like its starving for fuel.

Anyone know of a drop in replacement fuel pump that would work for this application besides an Onan unit?

Thanks!
Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #2

Be careful. I had the same fuel pump problem and the Onan replacement part ($90.00) had a problem also. Seems Onan used an alternative supplier (read China) and it had an internal seal problem that cause your symptoms. The seal would swell with temp and stop the pump from working. I don't know of an alternate pump but have been warned about using an automotive type pump because of pressure.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

I forgot. Have you checked the filter and fuel line for blockage before you spend your money on a fuel pump?
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't remember if the gold used the vane type pump or not. (Sometimes being 71 just sucks) If it uses the old marquis vane pump, you can dissassemble the pump and clean the vanes. Onan called for a filter BEFORE the pump. However 95% of the MH manuf. installed one after the pump. Small pieces of rust get caught in the vanes and cause the vanes to stick. Try installing a filter before the pump and cleaning the pump. If you install a new pump, you must be certain it is the right press. I believe the old pumps were 2 and 1/2 lbs.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You might try Generator parts, Generac, Kohler, Onan | Kim Hotstart heaters, Sensaphone, Freeze Alarm, LG / LS contactors. They have discount prices on most items and I think they can get most of what you may need when they don't have it in stock.
Good luck!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
I forgot. Have you checked the filter and fuel line for blockage before you spend your money on a fuel pump?
No buzz, no humm, no evidence of the pump running when I hit the prime button after it shuts off like it does before it shuts down.

Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don't remember if the gold used the vane type pump or not. (Sometimes being 71 just sucks) If it uses the old marquis vane pump, you can dissassemble the pump and clean the vanes. Onan called for a filter BEFORE the pump. However 95% of the MH manuf. installed one after the pump. Small pieces of rust get caught in the vanes and cause the vanes to stick. Try installing a filter before the pump and cleaning the pump. If you install a new pump, you must be certain it is the right press. I believe the old pumps were 2 and 1/2 lbs.
Thanks,

This does have the filter both before and after the pump. Pump is round and looks like an inline fuel filter itself. I had read somewhere else they were in the 2 psi range. Most of the cheapie automotive pumps are 5 psi.

Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
Be careful. I had the same fuel pump problem and the Onan replacement part ($90.00) had a problem also. Seems Onan used an alternative supplier (read China) and it had an internal seal problem that cause your symptoms. The seal would swell with temp and stop the pump from working. I don't know of an alternate pump but have been warned about using an automotive type pump because of pressure.
That is my exact concern, that the replacement pump is the same pile o junk that the original could be. I did put a fan on the generator with the cover off to see if it made a difference to it shutting off. Did not seem like it did but I did not have the fan pointed right at the pump either...

Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

Put a clear tub on after the pump to see if it is getting air. if so the gas line has a hole or leak. I had to change the gas line from the gas tank. Cut a hole in floor so I could get to it, top of gas tank. Could be a lose wire.