Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The UFO had leaf spring suspension rather than the air of a diesel pusher. It was available with a diesel or gas engine, and some of the few made were diesels.....
Gary: Just to keep the facts straight... The WCC UFO (R26) chassis was initially advertised as having a diesel engine option, but that never became a reality. Originally it was going to have a Cummins, and later that was changed to Maxxforce, but none were ever made except for the prototype chassis for testing. I think the problem was that WCC couldn't fit the diesel engine and keep the totally flat floor promised by the UFO. Therefore, the UFO was only built with the 8.1L gas motor.

It is true that WBGO built the same two models (Destination and Latitude) on a similar diesel pusher chassis, but that was a straight rail chassis built by FCCC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Workhorse is going to start up MH chassis construction this fall but from what I understand the R-26 UFO chassis is not on the agenda. Only the W-18 and W-22. That's great that WCC is coming back into the market but I think that there is a market for the R-26 especially since the bugs have been worked out. I drove one once at the West Coast RV show in Pomona and was impressed. Everyone I spoken to that owns one loves it. If the coach builders asked for it I think it would get produced. WCC put a lot of money and engineering in to that product so I can't see them just throwing it away.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

What engine/trans combo would be the go to for a rear engine gas today? No more 8.1's.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Workhorse is going to start up MH chassis construction this fall but from what I understand the R-26 UFO chassis is not on the agenda. Only the W-18 and W-22. That's great that WCC is coming back into the market but I think that there is a market for the R-26 especially since the bugs have been worked out. I drove one once at the West Coast RV show in Pomona and was impressed. Everyone I spoken to that owns one loves it. If the coach builders asked for it I think it would get produced. WCC put a lot of money and engineering in to that product so I can't see them just throwing it away.
I wish that was true. I read the same PR and thread(s) here on iRV2.com, however it now appears that PR was "premature" and the new Workhorse company isn't quite ready to fulfill the overly optimistic PR. In fact, the last time I looked at their website the PR about returning to RV chassis production wasn't even there.

I don't have any "inside" info, but I'm thinking the problem lies with the fact that the 8.8L V8 they planned to use has not yet been certified by the feds for on-highway use with gasoline as the fuel.

Even if they do actually start building RV chassis, they will likely be the lighter GVWR models with a smaller gas engine and THAT will surely rule out the return of the R-26.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
What engine/trans combo would be the go to for a rear engine gas today? No more 8.1's.
BINGO.. That was the beginning of the end for WCC, if you don't count the purchase of them by Navistar.

Tags
gas