Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #15

I just looked at the towing listing for all the US and Canada, never paid much attention to it before but the combined length in MD is 55' (on designated routes) and "60' in GA and several other states, some have 70' and others 75' but I think most are 65'. Never heard of any RVer being pulled over for being too long.

It is interesting that in MD the combined length is 55', (designated routes) but you can tripple tow. Go figure. Well that is what the chart I have says. (I think tripple tow means two towed vehicles and a tow vehicle)
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #16

Regarding what to do for side trips and shopping while pulling a trailer for junior? Simple. Ask him to drive the toad? Been a while, but if I remember correctly when I was this age, I would have jumped at the chance to have that arrangement?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I'm sure it's doable. Watch out for max. length requirements. Most are 65 feet total length (includes tow bar).

What would you do for shopping excursions, sightseeing, etc.? Towing the TT behind your DP makes it impractical to have a toad.
Rent a car or bycycles
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding what to do for side trips and shopping while pulling a trailer for junior? Simple. Ask him to drive the toad? Been a while, but if I remember correctly when I was this age, I would have jumped at the chance to have that arrangement?
Great point but this kid won't have his license yet.

But we can always store the trailer and just all rough it in the MH
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Love the idea of TT without having someone take the grenade and drive toad seperate...

Hate idea of backing TT into spot using 40' DP
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Love the idea of TT without having someone take the grenade and drive toad seperate...

Hate idea of backing TT into spot using 40' DP
Indeed. A small TT would get a couple double takes and maybe a snicker or two sitting on a huge pull through site by itself too.

My kids are likely about the same age as your teen considering he does not have his license yet. The Tent I mentioned we always bring is pretty much there in case they decide they really NEED their independence that much when on a family vacation.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping fam View Post
Lord please don't let my inlaws read this!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We for many years traveling with our adopted twins and two foster boys, used a pop-up by Dutchman that had rear door exit hooked to the motor home no kitchen just beds and table.
Went all across Canada and northern U.S. and P.E.I. to FL.
We camped in a pull through and never had to unhitch the pop-up.
The pop-up has more mileage than some of the MH's pulling it.
It would open to both sides with two large beds and a table in middle of them which could also be made into a bed for guess's.
Sometimes we had to pay for a site U.S., but in Canada never were charged for site.
The pop-up is still around our oldest adopted daughter is now using it with her kids.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #23

We will be full time, stationary 5/7 days a week....10/12 months a year. We are taking a new approach to family and "togetherness" but a teenager and a preschooler may decide they need space alone (other than our room)

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Both of our adult children and their spouses have travel trailers. Since they're still working, they occasionally can not get away early on holiday weekends. In the past have pulled a 26' TT with our 36' DP. We drop it in their site and they arrive later.

We did stop for fuel once and was questioned as to why we needed the TT. I told them it was for the maid!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #25

I've had this same idea! My wife and I recently had our first so I have some time to cultivate the idea. One extension of this thought has been to find a van with a manual transmission and fkst tow it. I could build a couple of bunks in.... Serves the purpose of a toad and additional sleeping quarters.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I did see a motorhome pulling a camp trailer on I-5 near Medford Oregon last week. Motorhome was probably 35 feet or so and the trailer about 20 feet. I told my wife it was for the mother in law but who knows?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I saw a DP that pulled a class B behind. That way you still have a toad. Best of both worlds!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #28

The no toad is solved by some, by having a toy hauler garage man cave. I mentioned in another thread, that I know one gent that has a matching featherlight stacker garage, where he carries his/her BMW motorcycles on the top stacker, and a BMW Z8 Convertible below. The front 1/3 of this garage - is man cave: TV, Small Kitchen, throne. And my personal favorite, he has a killer tube sound system. This 'trailer' has roof AC, two 8D AGM's, daisy chained into the rigs 50A supply for power, or it's own 50 amp cord if he needs to park it in a space next to them, finally he has 7.5K generator and 60 gallons of diesel for power if needed. I can't recall the size of the combined grey/black, but he commented his son and girlfriend had boon docked in it for 5 days. Using their RV for an occasional shower.

It was a slick looking combo, with a great combo paint job for the 40' Prevost and Featherlight...

He brought up 'how' he was able to do this, as he was employee number 9xx or something at Qualcomm. Many people in the San Diego area that were early employees at Qualcomm - were able to retire in their 40's!

He said he had a 'deser toy box' to match too, full of quads, 4x4, etc. His wife does not like the desert, so he and 'the boys' head out a few times a year for the desert season. (The gent was not bragging, we had just started a conversation in the park. He had stopped by our site to ask a few questions about our then 98 Bounder T28 - as he and his wife had a Bounder as their first RV. Just a real nice man.)

And talk about a nice toad to run thru the national parks, and tour the local area!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel