Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #1

Anyone purchased in Canada to bring back to the US

With the Canadian dollar loosing value right now (about 10% exchange) I have seen a couple of units up there that the prices seem pretty attractive on you factor the exchange rate in. I think that because the dollar has moved so quickly that the prices on current inventory has yet to correct itself. But I do not know how much of a hassle it is to bring a unit back to this side of the border. I can find lots of information about units going to other way. Found a few in Ontario that caught my interest, and it is only a few hours to the border for me.

Anybody done this?
rvreadyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

Purchase

Bought my motorhome in home province of Ontario last August for a better price than I could in the US even when the exchange was close to par. Might be different story now. Have imported from US to Canada before and it was a piece of cake. Not sure vise versa
Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never done it but I don't believe it's particularly difficult. Here are a couple of links with info:

Importing Canadian Vehicles | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA
Importing a Motor Vehicle - CBP.gov

Personally, I don't think even a 15% difference in currency is enough but it obviously depends on the deal you can find (It's not uncommon for many goods (including cars and mhs) to be 20-25% more in Canada than they are in the US).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
It's definitely a good deal buying up here. I have been looking at buying south and the exchange was 12% last week. I have my current coach for sale here. Difference is almost $7000US.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing you will definitately have to do is check to see if you have to pay Canadian taxes if you buy in Canada for export (I would not be surprised if you have to). If you do, that's a significant hit as I don't think most (any) States have a reciprocity agreement with Canada for sales tax. In Ontario, the sales tax on vehicles is 13%. If you buy privately, you should be able to avoid the sales tax (it's charged at registration time so if you don't register in Canada, you won't be charged) but you might not be able to get a temp tag.

As far as prices, you really have to compare at specific units but from a quick internet search, a 2014 Integra Anthem 44B is available at the discounted price of $389,900CND at Sicard RV near Hamilton, Ontario while the same unit is available from MHSVR in Alvarado, TX for $329,911US which is roughly $374000CND using TD Borderless's rate current rate (actually you should be able to do quite a bit better on the exchange). That's still over $15000 cheaper in the US despite the low CND$.

The other obvious advantage of buying in the US is the selection is MUCH, MUCH greater for both new and used.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

You do not have to pay local taxes when you buy privately. If from a dealer then it is more difficult. I think you have to file some export papers.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
You do not have to pay local taxes when you buy privately. If from a dealer then it is more difficult. I think you have to file some export papers.
You really need to check with the province you are buying in. In Quebec, it appears that you'll have to pay full taxes whether it's dealer or private and then apply to the Quebec Government for a refund (I had to do this several years ago when I purchased a car from Quebec (I'm from Ontario). I believe it took about 6 weeks to get the refund). (see Q1 here : http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/faq/ve...gistration.php). I haven't been able to find definitive answers for the others but it appears that BC won't charge tax. In Ontario, if you take delivery there, it appears that a dealership would have to charge you tax and then you'd be able to apply for a refund with Canada Revenue Agency but it's not 100% clear. Private should be tax free but they might collect it when you apply for a temp permit and then you'd have to apply for a refund.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

I have been looking at used units more than new. I saw a 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ for $108,900 on a dealer lot. The lowest priced I can find here is over $120,000. With the exchange, that puts that at well under $100,000.

Thanks for the site links. Still researching the tax issue.
rvreadyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
I purchased one in Buffalo last year at Buffalo Rv . It was easy to bring one over as long as the dealership your dealing with knows what there doing as far as the paper work goes. Go to the RIV website this will give you all the information the first thing is to find out that the model your looking for is cleared to come over. I traded mine in and would not do that again it cost an xtra $1000 plus you will need a broker to do it another $500 . The dealership did all the paper work for the one I purchased and I was done at the border in one hour. If you want to email mail me I can go into more detail I would not estate to do it again and as far as that goes I plan on checking out car prices the next time I need one and if the savings are there I will bring one over. Email if you want . Good luck
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE 40
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I purchased one in Buffalo last year at Buffalo Rv ...
Actually, the OP was asking about doing the opposite; purchasing in Canada to import into the US.

I suspect the process it probably similar but I'm sure there are differences.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Actually, the OP was asking about doing the opposite; purchasing in Canada to import into the US.

I suspect the process it probably similar but I'm sure there are differences.
You are right I would only hope it would be as easy . But when I imported my old Rv for trade in it was a lot bigger hassle than bringing my new one form the USA . I would be interested in hearing how it works out . Wish him luck.
Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, purchase