Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #43

What I really want is a 26ft class B+ with 4wd with decent clearance and 4 season package and covered bottom to protect against rocks and salt. I would then tow a pop up for extended stays (4 plus days) and use that as a kitchen and storage.

That's not really going to happen so if I could pickup a sub 5,000$ hard sided a frame pop up for winter camping or going to places where the MH could not go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #44

I boondocked a few weeks ago with 3 others in the camp loop. There was a larger class A, a hard sided A frame pop up and myself. We all had a great weekend. Not sure about the tent camper on the other loop as it got chilly that night.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Winnebago Chalet 24vr, and it is the perfect size for two people.
We also travel with our cat. It carries my bikes, and I rent a car whenever
I want to park it for a few days. It is less expensive than towing, insurance,
maintenance on an additional car. This is my last motor home unless I
go back to a Class B van if I begin to feel this one is too large as I get
older. I have never liked slide outs as they are electronic and more things can go wrong. Also, if they get out of line, then you are looking at
one more thing to go wrong besides being known for leaking!

I am with your wife on the smaller motor homes.
Ladypilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #46

I wanted to stay as close to 30' as possible... I really wanted a Fleetwood Expedition / Discovery 34H floorplan with opposing slides but never found one in my price range because the short diesels really hold their value, so I ended up with a 38'. Maybe if I hit the lotto I'll get something shorter.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #47

In my view, there is no such thing as a motorhome that is too big. We love the space and we are only in it a total of two months including travel time. We pull an enclosed trailer with our offroad Jeep, tools, welder, parts and supplies in it. We couldn't do that with a smaller MH. At 75' long, it's just as easy to drive as our 34' Southwind was over 20 years ago, but a much better ride.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anyone regret having too long/short a motorhome

I am now that the DW died. Got the present rig to go full time in (but then that's why we got the previous two rigs too). But if I were to downsize I'd lose a bunch on the present rig and maybe regret the loss of space. Some of my seven cats like the space to run though.
I once told the late DW that I wanted to be buried in the MH but it's going to be hard to find a plot that big!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #49

We spent 3 years in a 36ft. Coachman gasser and enjoyed it very much. Never thought it was too small. We recently went fulltime and decided to get something newer. We found a 2016 Newmar 3404 that only had 1465 miles on it, looked like new, and saved a bundle off the price. I must admit however that I do miss the extra 2 feet because the difference in the two coaches is that the new one doesn't have a recliner! That seems like a small thing until you get ready to sit in your comfy recliner that happens to be ...in the coach you traded in..Uh Oh! Everything else is great! BooDaddySC
BooDaddySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
What I really want is a 26ft class B+ with 4wd with decent clearance and 4 season package and covered bottom to protect against rocks and salt. I would then tow a pop up for extended stays (4 plus days) and use that as a kitchen and storage.

That's not really going to happen so if I could pickup a sub 5,000$ hard sided a frame pop up for winter camping or going to places where the MH could not go.
If that is what you really want buy a Freightliner M2 platform 4x4 rescue ambulance and remodel it into an off road motorhome, for bonus points get the crew cab version with full height cab access doorway. If really should not take that much work, after all there is already a diesel generator, air conditioner, and furnace onboard
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If that is what you really want buy a Freightliner M2 platform 4x4 rescue ambulance and remodel it into an off road motorhome, for bonus points get the crew cab version with full height cab access doorway. If really should not take that much work, after all there is already a diesel generator, air conditioner, and furnace onboard
For a laugh I Google it.

https://ambulancetrader.com/viewAds....=Medium%20Duty
Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #52

Very much like my 34 footer, which is really 35 feet, don't tell anyone. LOL
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from 38 to 43 (short 2 inches off the 44 mark) and we have not looked back. Could I have gone to 45 and be done with it, sure, but the 43 fits all things just fine right now.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #54
HHg

Like, oh my God yes, bought a brand new 24' Mercedes Sprinter diesel, traded it in on a brand new 34' FRED, which was traded in on our current unit. I sure wish someone had talked me into getting out LAST coach first.....would have saved me a lot of money !!

Live and learn !!
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #55

Regret having a motorhome too long, or too short?

Yes, I regret having a motorhome too long the few times I can't find a space to fit our coach.

No, as all of the times that I easily find a space that fits our coach - I regret that it is 40' vs 45'.

(Well - 44' - 10", so I would not need a Class A or B Non Commercial Drivers license...).

All kidding aside, 40' has not been too much or a problem for us. We plan our trips accordingly. Sure, some campgrounds and parks we can't visit in our coach. But those we really wish to visit, we just do so in our toad in day trips.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice thing is they (RVs) all come with 3.1-million square miles of backyard so its just a matter of choosing what fits your living space needs while bearing in mind where you want to take your living space.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome