Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Anyone running a 295/80R22.5 winter tire?

I'd like to put winter tires on my drive axle and am having a heck of a time finding a tire that will fit. It also needs to have a load rating of at least 7,830 lbs in single tire application (they are rated for a lower load when used as duals).

Does anyone run a winter tire of this size?

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sorry, this won't answer your question, but I don't plan to drive this thing any place or any time where I would need a "winter tire."

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Paul be sure you check infated width on whatever you get. There is very little extra clearance between the inside dual and suspension components on the RR10 tag chassis, take a look.
Happy Trails
06 Dynasty Countess III
07 Hummer H3///05 Suzi Thumper
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
We run 295 75 R 22.5 winter tires on the back. Mine are Dunlops, but my coach isn't as heavy as yours, so G tires are fine. You need H tires for sure. Might have to find a popular truck tire in a slightly different size to work.

One thing to know. The traction, or winter tires are noisy. Not a problem when you're sitting up front, but it's really noisy at the back.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
295/80 is not a common size and not generally used commercially, so I'm not surprised you are having trouble finding a winter tire like that. That size is almost exclusive to large RVs and they seldom ever want winter tires.

The 11R22.5 is a common truck tire and almost identical in size to the 295/80, but has a slightly lower carrying capacity. Would not be suitable if you need 7000+ lbs/tire.

What are you trying to achieve by using winter tires?
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Gary - what I am trying to achieve with a winter tire is to keep the rig on top of the asphalt!

Seriously, my wife and I use it for traveling to dog shows, and one of the biggest is in Abbotsford BC on the Halloween weekend each year, which requires that we cross the Rockies from Alberta in late October. Later in the year we take all the beasts and put them in the coach and head south to Arizona and California for January and February.

In both cases we can see some bad weather, in the Rockies it is unpredictable and on the trek south we often have a business dictated window in which we can travel, and sometimes it includes some chancy weather.

I carry tire cables because by law in the Rockies in October you have to have them, but I'd like to have a knob tire.

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote