Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
56Safari, can you give me a link to the tire inflation tables from Tire and Rim Association.

Thanks

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #16

If you will have balancing beads put in you tires you will not have any trouble on balancing. Take it from a old truck driver. There isn't any difference between a MH tire and a truck tire. Only the price. There is a difference between a steering tire and a pulling tire. If your MH is rated 26000 pd gross weight or less you don't need a 16 ply tire. 14 ply is all you need. 16 ply usually will give you a rough ride. I don't know everything, but I have wore out a lot of tires.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #17

Rexhall Owners Group
Sure! Should have posted a link originally, but my typing skills leave a lot to be desired - I may be slow, but I'm inaccurate!

http://www.e-bookspdf.org/download/t...ion-chart.html Once there (assuming I haven't messed up the address) you should find a pdf file for commercial truck tires and definition of terms.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modela View Post
If you will have balancing beads put in you tires you will not have any trouble on balancing. Take it from a old truck driver. There isn't any difference between a MH tire and a truck tire. Only the price. There is a difference between a steering tire and a pulling tire. If your MH is rated 26000 pd gross weight or less you don't need a 16 ply tire. 14 ply is all you need. 16 ply usually will give you a rough ride. I don't know everything, but I have wore out a lot of tires.

OK, let's talk about that. My tires are brand new, have been balanced twice by the dealer (that does a good bit of truck tire work) and are still lumpy.
Another poster suggested that the compound in Samsons is harder, so any kind of out-of-round will make things lumpy-riding. I'll see if they can check for out-of-round before I do anything.

IF the tires are out of round, will beads be a better option/fix? My guess is that out of round isn't going to be fixed by any kind of balancing, but what's your take on it?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #19

[QUOTE=bamaboy473;2175980]OK, let's talk about that. My tires are brand new, have been balanced twice by the dealer (that does a good bit of truck tire work) and are still lumpy.
Another poster suggested that the compound in Samsons is harder, so any kind of out-of-round will make things lumpy-riding. I'll see if they can check for out-of-round before I do anything.
IF the tires are out of round, will beads be a better option/fix? My guess is that out of round isn't going to be fixed by any kind of balancing, but what's your take on it?[

Out of round tires wild never be balanced. If you tires are new and they can't be balanced because they are out of round I would have the dealer take them back. It is getting hard to get a truck tire balanced unless you go to a truck stop that sells trucks tires.

I don't know what he is saying when he says the Samsons is made with a harder compound. I think he said they were 16 Ply. Again if the gross weight of the MH is 26000 or less 14 ply is all we need.

A lot of dealers sells truck tires but they don't have the right equipment to balanced them.

I have Copper Roadmaster 245/70/19.5 14 PLY on my MH. Yes they are made in China to Copper specs. A lot trucks run them. When I had them put on over a year ago I had beads put in them. I would have to check but I have around 8000 miles and no problems.

What some of us don't realized is, we are driving a truck with a box on it. I notice that some was wanting to know how much air the Samsons tires would safely hold. I don't worry about how much air my tires will hold. My manual calls for 85 pd all the way around. I found I get a better ride at 90. You don't want to put in to much air, if you do you could get a rough ride.

One other thing that some of us do wrong. We put on socks that are too big for our MH and then we blame it on the tires. When we read the other post and they talk about running 110-120 pds of air pressure in their tires, look to see what size of MH do they have. They are the big boys and out of our league.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #20

OK guys, let's fight nice.

It sounds like no one really has anything bad to say about Samson tires, just an ongoing debate of balancing and tire pressure.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get these. And I'm going to see if they do the dynabeads. I've never personally tried them, but if I don't like them, I can easily remove them and go with traditional spin balancing.

And I'll start with 90 psi and go from there based on how it's riding. Thanks for all the input and banter. It was fun to watch.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
Hi, well I bought my "new to me" 1999 Dolphin 5350. The tires have a date code mostly of early 2008, so I was looking to replace them even though there is no cracking/checking on the sidewalls.

Has anyone tried the Samson GL-283A tire? ($165.99 - Samson 245/70R19.5 880202 tires at SimpleTire.com) It's listed as a truck tire. It is a radial and I can get them for $185, shipped to me. Then I would just need to get them installed. That's a lot less than the $285 to $500 I've been being quoted for various tires around here including Hankooks and Michelins.

I know it is a chinese tire. But I'm a believer that if you take care of the tire with proper inflation and covers to keep them out of the sun, most tires can be reliable.

I'm concerned with ride and road noise. I would hate to buy these tires only to discover a problem like being really loud going down the road or rough ride. Thanks in advance.
HR Neptune 35SBD 2009
I had to replace my good years on the front due to run out (We tried all 6 tires but they were all bad) My Garage suggested the Samson's and I went through all the stories on the forums etc. Went ahead and installed the Samson's (22.5" wheels ) and have no regrets. no issues! When the time comes (almost there) I will replace all with Samson's, they do however need to be spin balanced. 12K miles, 3.5 years

Mike
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #22

Put a set of 22.5's on two years ago, threw a pack of dynabeads in, adjusted the pressure and haven't looked back

buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
Put a set of 22.5's on two years ago, threw a pack of dynabeads in, adjusted the pressure and haven't looked back

What kind of pressures are you running on the fronts, and what's your coach weigh? My 25,000 coach was set up for 92 up front and I wonder whether that's too much air to get a comfortable ride. Feels like out of balance.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #24

I think my Dolphin's is 23K lbs, so I'm slightly under the 26K that someone said was the minimum for a 16 ply tire. Oh well.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
The load/inflation tables give you the maximum weight a tire should carry at a given inflation pressure. There is no problem if the load is less. Granted an "h" rated tire might ride a little stiffer than a "g" rated, but the lower inflation pressure will offset at least some of the difference.

Don't know what size tire your RV runs, but check the inflation pressure for your axle weights before you dismiss the Samsons. My weight puts me at the minimum pressure listed and I run my tires 10 lbs above the minimum and don't feel the ride is harsh at all.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56safari View Post
The load/inflation tables give you the maximum weight a tire should carry at a given inflation pressure. There is no problem if the load is less. Granted an "h" rated tire might ride a little stiffer than a "g" rated, but the lower inflation pressure will offset at least some of the difference.

Don't know what size tire your RV runs, but check the inflation pressure for your axle weights before you dismiss the Samsons. My weight puts me at the minimum pressure listed and I run my tires 10 lbs above the minimum and don't feel the ride is harsh at all.

Can you share the numbers that you're using?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #27

This list of charts was posted earlier: http://www.e-bookspdf.org/download/t...ion-chart.html
Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
What kind of pressures are you running on the fronts, and what's your coach weigh? My 25,000 coach was set up for 92 up front and I wonder whether that's too much air to get a comfortable ride. Feels like out of balance.
I'm around 8,200 to ,8,500 lbs on the front and run 90 to 95 lbs. I have run 100 but it felt a little "hard". Never felt bouncy or out of balance.

Front axle max is 10400 so I try to stay around the 85% loaded on the front.
Good luck

buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires